Author Topic: i found a healthy baby duck crossing a busy road  (Read 1502 times)

Offline britishcolumbia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
i found a healthy baby duck crossing a busy road
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
she was crossing a very busy road... and i stopped just in time... no sight of a mother or siblings.  there was another car coming the other way, so it was a double miracle. 

then she was under my car.  so i couldnt exactly leave her there.  soon the cars were piling up.  i was afraid she would be hit and i couldnt let that happen.  the guy in the vehicle behind got out when i shouted, Help!  then again when we couldnt catch her, to the lady in the vehicle behind him. 

we 3 surrounded the baby duck, on the 3 sides of my car, and she finally ran out from under the car and into my hands. 

now shes with me.  she chirps.  ive made her lots of nesting with grass and dead bugs, plus water, milk, seeds, oatmeal, soaked breadcrumbs.  she really enjoys her rubs.  especially her neck and chest.  shes very comfortable inside my shirtfront.  she enjoys looking at herself in the mirror.  i can tell she recognizes my face when my face is near hers in the mirror.  shes fallen asleep in my lap with her head lolled to the side.  she likes to be in my makeup bag.  she fits into my hand.  shes eaten a little... and enjoys making a mess in the water... she chirps & runs around.  she smells good.  i filled a bowl but she doesnt like to swim - odd for a duck?  im concerned about the poo / pee situation - but as ive passed my house inspection & the house is sold - im not worried if she lets loose.  but how do i train a duck to pee into kitty litter?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:31:49 PM by britishcolumbia »

Offline britishcolumbia

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: i found a healthy baby duck crossing a busy road
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
the pee / poo situation went well.  she did it in the nest i made her.  it was green and yellow so that means she is just eating grass, milk, water...  she drank a lot of water this morning and rice milk bc i dont have any regular right now.  she also enjoys grass nibbleys.  i took her for a swim in her water bowl... weeee.... she certainly seemed to enjoy it more today, as she was more enthusiastic, pumping her legs feroshiously, and staying in a bit longer before trying to jump out.  after the swim i laid her in the sun.  shes sunbathing.  and shivering a bit... same as yesterday... i thought ducks were warm blooded...? 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
Hey, I LOVED reading this!  You must be having a ball with that baby duck!  How many days have you had her?  Any long-term plans?  Any pics?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »
I know nothing about raising baby ducks but I would think they might have similar food needs as baby chix. Do you have a "Farm and Fleet" or Tractor Supply store somewhere near or even a pet store. It seems they would have the right feed for a duck. Our baby chix on the farm ate a "mash" of ground up grain when they were tiny. I don't think milk is something they need as ducks don't give milk. LOL sounds like you have a new pet on your hands. Do you have a garage? You could put a child's wading pool there with a fence around so it could get into the pond. But you'd have to have steps up into and then out again. As for heat, Momma and siblings huddle together to share body heat. With the baby chix, we had an electric brooder. It was shaped like a huge upside down cone with the light inside and the chix ran under it when they needed to get warm. Hey, Google raising baby ducks!!! You'll find out there.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
I raised three white ducks that I got for Easter one year. We feed them chicken feed with crushed oyster shells for calcium. They grew up healthy until they disappeared one day. Something or someone got them. I found a wing a couple of months later. I've always wanted Mallards after that.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »
Lucky Duck!  :D  I love reading your adventures with....you must have named it!  O0

Offline britishcolumbia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
well at first i thought he was a she, so she was Daisy Duck, but then some guys told me he was a boy, so his name is Donny Delishious, now.  also, i began to realize that he is *such* a boy the way he runs around.  he pecks.  me.  tonight he was offeneded with one of the lights so he was pecking sharply at that.  hes very stubborn.  the first day he did not know how to swim.  he floated like a lump, confused and angry, he violently wanted out - after just a few seconds.  ive only had him 3 days.  hours later, when i put him in again, same response, he just wanted OUT!  the third time, a few hours later, i started pushing and guiding him - and he got the hang of kicking, and he seemed okay about it but not happy - demanding to be out (when he wants out he tries to leap out of his bowl). 

by day 2 he was kicking all on his own - no pushing or guiding him from me - and absolutely SHOWING OFF... and just really in a happy & confident place.  then he had a bath - and he LOVED the bath - cruising around his legs going like totally crazy.  he was beside himself with joy.  he didnt want to get out. 

so today, day 3, i had my bath and he stayed in for ages, probably 2 hours.  it keeps him busy.  then i drain the tub and he grooms himself for ages.

he gets his bowl bath after he has finished his foraging.  i like him to have a bath because the foraging situation gets a little gross... he eats constantly.  he cannot hunt at all.  ive tried, but he is scared shitless when i even bring him a dead ant.  so it has to be really dead dead for him to not jump back in abject horror and fear that it might be alive.  so hes big on dusty dead insects in filthy corners of the house. 

so after eating, i put him in his pondbowl (its a big glass serving bowl) with salad and outdoor greens, torn up tiny tiny tiny.  he scoots around eating and swimming and drinking.  he loves rice milk, but hes not so crazy about cows milk.  he loves oatmeal with a bit of sugar and butter. 

all i can say is i adore him.  he goes everywhere with me in a pyrex bowl with a fluffduster in the bottom and a handkerchief napkin for a blanky...  at bedtime he sleeps with me, he likes to snuggle down into something like the crook of my arm, or in my shirt top, or under my neck.

and i wish i could put him on the internet.  he is my sweet boy.  last night he found a new place to sleep.  he stuck his nose into my bra!!!  his bum and legs were sticking out of the top.  he loves his tummy rubbed.  he is the cutest thing i have ever seen in my whole life. 

when we go somewhere in the car, i put him in a pyrex bowl with a fluffduster & hanky and then i put the lid on top, opened a crack, and he is very calm, and is fine for a couple or 3 hours....  and when i get out of the car, i take him with me in the bowl, and put the bowl in a basket.  hes very calm.  but if the day drags on, he will get restless in his bowl with the lid on, sometimes if i cover the bowl with the hanky he will calm right down again, other times i take him out (making sure the doors and windows are closed) and give him a kiss.  at the intersection yesterday, the woman in the car beside said, "What are you doing?"  i said, "Im kissing my duck".  and she said, "oh" like it was ok then.  he is also good inside my fleece hat i place inside my makeup bag and he sticks his neck out.  i do have to keep a very watchful eye though if i am getting ants for him, and not take that lid off for a second, or he will tear off.  hes such a boy duck. 

edit: thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions... i am going to get chick mash tomorrow.
editedit: and am neverever letting him out of my sight in the outdoors, he would make a perfect sandwich for some hungry cat or dog.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:01:37 AM by britishcolumbia »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:11:50 AM »
Hoo boy. You are stuck I think. I wonder what's going to happen though when he gets bigger. They are quite the poopers and UM in the house UM!!!! I hope this all works out as he grows.

Offline britishcolumbia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
cross that bridge when i come to it, i guess...  who knows whats going to happen... but for sure, he is way too tiny to release.  when he gets to be bigger, its up to Donny, what he wants to do...  but for now he is safe.  and though he does poop lots, for now its ok, because he is small....  and my house has sold and passed the inspection so its not a problem... his messes arent that big right now...  later on, i can get him his own area for that.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »
http://petoftheday.com/

Be sure you look at Friday, May 30.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »
That was a cute story Julles  :) We had a hurt seagull when we lived in Forks, Wa. and kept him till he got well. Had to feed him smelt which we caught in the surf at the ocean. He lived in the barn and had a pool to swim in and when he got done swimming and doing his daily meandering he would run over to his barn nest to rest at night. It was hard to let him go back to the beach when he was well but still it was a good feeling to see him free and healthy again.  (8:-)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »
I raised a mallard duck from an egg when I was little too.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"