Author Topic: 2 new pics  (Read 3254 times)

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
2 new pics
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
Just wanted to share a couple of pics i tok today
This one is the turtle hubby found yesterday and we just had to give him a home..lol

Then is one is a flower from the plant hubby got from a plant show....

I know my pics and pond are nothing like you guys have....but i still wanted to share.... @O@

Offline Missa

• Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 2 new pics
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
I totally LOOOVE that flower.

Offline cricket67

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »
Yes the colors are awesome....as u can see the plant itself is not very big so really didn't think i would even see any bloom this year....The bad thing i don't remember the name...since hubby is the one that put it in the ground and trashed the tag for it.....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Cool turtle!  Do you know what kind of turtle it is!  The lily is pretty and very colorful.  At least Hubby planted it.  O0

Offline cricket67

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
Hubby says he thinks its a box turtle....hes(turtle) very comfortable in the pond....i tried putting bricks up on a shelf for him to get out of the water at times by he just goes back in the water an float around....When i'm home like this weekend i went outside a few times and talk to him..today when i went see him he came to me...even when i reached out to touch him he didn't hide in his shell....But i did find some pretty big poop droppings in my pond...lol...soo i'll have to be checking on that daily...cause i don't know if that'll hurt my plants and fish.... o(

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »
He looks like a box turtle, if he is, he is terrestrial and isn't a water turtle. Please make sure he can get out of the pond.
Kay

Offline cricket67

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
TY kay....i'll do some looking around to build him something that suits him better....

Offline reptilegrrl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »
Please please get that turtle out of the water!  He will die.  He is not a water turtle.  He can and will drown when he sinks. 

He's not climbing out because he's afraid.  Please get him out.
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:38:02 AM »
He is a box turtle and would be a lot more comfortable in a terrarium. They do like lettuce and other tender green vegetation.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
 And meat.  They love hamburger. Also tomatoes.  When I was a kid I had lots of turtles that I kept as pets. Usually road rescues.  My dad would let me let them wander freely around the house and they make great house pets. They are almost housebroke if you handle them the right way. The main idea is that they tend to do their thing when they are fed and when watered.
       What I would do is to feed them every few days on a bunch of newspapers. They would usually defecate on the news paper while eating.
      If they don't do it then after eating, or any time there thirsty put them in a tub of water an in or 2 deep and leave them in there for a half day or a couple of hours. This will almost always make them defecate. And if they do do it on the floor it's usually solid with no liquid, unless you put out a bowl of water all of the time for them to soak and drink from their feces should be fairly dry.  Box turtles love to soak in water and mud, some times for weeks.
      The idea is not to have food and water constantly available and to space the feedings apart about the same time it takes the last meal to go through the turtle so the turtle is about ready to go anyway.                               
     Oh yea, if you like to go barefoot in the house with free running box turtles then don't feed them cherry tomatoes or do so at your own risk. Because they will get trained to think anything that is about that size and color is food and they will sneak up on you and bite your toes.!!   I had one turtle that was very bad about that and would come running across the room with a hungry look on it's face if it saw some toes. My dad got bitten about 3 times and named him "terrible toebiting turtle"  Or just "The Beast".   He must have had bad vision and smell, or just very excited about food cause he was the worst toebiter.  He was a very nice turtle and had no fear of humans.

Offline cricket67

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 07:04:01 PM »
Just letting everyone know the turtle is OUT the water !!!!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
Glad to hear that. He will be much happier. Boxies really don't do well as pets. They end up with respiratory infections and malnutrition. There are better turtles to have for pets. Research care if you haven't and good luck hon.
Regards,
Kay

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 04:47:59 AM »

What I would do is to feed them every few days on a bunch of newspapers. They would usually defecate on the news paper while eating.
      If they don't do it then after eating, or any time there thirsty put them in a tub of water an in or 2 deep and leave them in there for a half day or a couple of hours. This will almost always make them defecate. And if they do do it on the floor it's usually solid with no liquid, unless you put out a bowl of water all of the time for them to soak and drink from their feces should be fairly dry. 

Wow!! this is the same thing my wife does to me!! She almost has me housebroken but I'm still resisting it right now. The newspaper leaves little articles on the bottom of my feet so I always have something to read if I get bored while waiting to go, I don't even have to bring a newspaper to the toilet! It doesn't get any better than that. Next, she is going to try to get me to stop drinking out of the toilet and humping her leg.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »
I have that same daylily, it's quite large.  It's called "always afternoon" (thanks to LeeAnne for reminding me of it's name)   :)  --this is a pic of it last summer.  It's not ready to bloom this year yet...

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline iriscottage

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
I see everyone beat me to the punch in telling you he needs out of the water/ tortuoise....not turtle at all, looks like to me. I found one crossing the road the other day and brought him how but only kept him 30 minutes or so and them released him in the back yard. They need to be FREE, they are wild animals.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I have a good number of turtles - all living outdoors (except the African Sidenecks, who have to come in during the winter - and HATE it.)   

I have one very large box turtle, a Gulf Coast Box turtle, who, oddly enough, spends most of his time in the pond.  He swims around, spends time totally submersed underwater, and even eats in the water.  It used to freak me out, but he keeps on going in there, and is quite happy.  He does spend time on land, too, but most of his time is spent in the water.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"