Author Topic: Pics for tink. Ok and for you too!  (Read 2762 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pics for tink. Ok and for you too!
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
New pics of sunfire, first flowers of the year.

Offline Kabuki

• Members
  • With us since: 16/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pics for tink. Ok and for you too!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Those are so beautiful. How nice it must be to be able to cultivate such lush lilies!

Offline cricket67

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
very pretty...love the colors...nice job.... O0

Offline sooks

• Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:04:38 PM »
Wow!!  8-)~ Those are lovely... Where did you get this lily from? Thanks for posting the pics!
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Hey Tink you should come soon because I have a bunch of tropicals I could give you.  Miami Rose,Texas shell pink, panama pacific, colorata and others.  I also have lots of certain hardies that I will be feeding to the deer in order to thin and control beds.                
       You're welcome to them if you have room for any.  

It would be a good time to visit cause I haven't started any serious breeding yet.  you could arrive early and watch the flowers open and stay until they close if you want. or longer.
      Not everything is blooming yet, but in a week everything should be

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »
Sooks, from a seed I grew!!!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
you sure know how to torment a person! hehehe  .... I see another lotus pond being switched over to a lily pond.   I dopnt suppose sunfire is up for sale yet is she?  I adore that lily. 

I would love any of all of the lilies you listed.  I wish I could come soon  enuff to take you up on them but its  gonna be 2 1/2 to almost 3 weeks.  Have company coming this week and graduation.  Then my brother is coming from tx.  Then I have to go to indianapolis for softball league.  Suddenly these things I looked forward to seem kind of like a burden.  Oh well.  I will still be happy to enjoy seeing them in your ponds.  WVKIM wanted to come with me to viist you if we could find a date good for her but I havent heard back from her on that yet.  Will drop her a email to see if she still wants to try to work it out if not then maybe we can go ahead and get a ballpark week/time that works for you. 

tink

Offline sooks

• Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »
That picture of your enormous pond... is GORGEOUS!!!
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »
Your Lillies are great! Love your ponds. YOu certainly know how to make us Northern Ponders jealous! Thanks for sharing. @O@
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Kabuki

• Members
  • With us since: 16/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
What a beautiful, beautiful place. Feeding deer Hardies, though, isn't there a law against that sort of stuff? I thought they only loved roses. (Mine).  :)

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
Don'T worry Tink, I'll save you plenty of trops etc. I'll stick a bunch in the mud around my contenders to grow for the summer and you can have some of them.                                                             
     You wont miss much, there's twice as many flowers today as there was 2 days ago, and more every day. Certain plants like James Brydon might be past their spring gush of flowers but will still be nice.   Other plants like Carolina Sunset and fairy skirt are just starting to bloom and will be at their best in a couple of weeks.

Get KYKIM to come to but don't let that hold you up to long, spring is nice with different colors in the flowers.  You can always come back later with Kim. 
      Maybe next year for Sunfire. Probably next. It's my favorite lily of all time, hardy or tropical.  It's still getting better as it matures. Each year it's color gets deeper and hotter,  And this year its got a whitish flower that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I don't know if it's a sport or a new crown putting out it's first flower.  I sure hope it's a sport but I doubt it. very rare.
    I feel so happy to be the first person to enjoy and posses this plant and I'm working hard to make others that are even better.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
I love that group shot, showing the whole lake.  Looks like gold and red sunlight hitting the water.

What's that in the background... lights along the horizon?  like a city in the distance? 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
Mike, your water lilies look great. In the first pic of your second post above, what is that growing between the lilies and the pond edge? Is it a sedge?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Missy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »
Pant pant. Drool. OMG. Want. One. Now. 8-)~

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »
WOW .... 8-)~...I love the sunfire waterlily  o(:-) . Please let me know When ever u have it for sale , I would love to have one too  o(:-) o(:-)

Nice picture of the pond with all those wonderful lilies blooming .
bonnie

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
Julles, yes, waterlily city.  A segregated city, segregated by color and race. but still beautiful.
      PondmaninFL, I have taken great care to plant this pond in non aggressive shallow water marginals that I have collected from all around the local area and I believe I have hit upon the perfect plant mix of high diversity and dence cover for spawning, wild life of all kinds, prevention of shore erosion,and cattail prevention, that wont compete with my lilies. 
       The predominant thing you see in the pic is Eleocharis montevidensis, spike rush. It wont grow any deeper than about a foot. I also have Chinese water chestnut, square stem rush,creeping jenny, peppermint, spearmint, club moss, arrow head, water plantain, bullrush, ludwigia palustris   water purslane,and many species of carex sedges. 
      It is a great nutrient sink, and water filter and is the reason my water is clear and I have NO algae. Although I used to when the pond was new. Also my snails seek and destroy algae.
      I will post some pics of my marginals.

Sunfire should be for sale in 2 years . by then I should have 1500 plants.  I figure 500 to replant and 1000 to sell.
     Meanwhile I'll show you pics of the beds as they grow to wet your apatite.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
Drool!!!!  Absolutely Beautiful!  Last shot's a winner!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
Mike, you are truly a man of honor. That is a great selection for around that pond, especially if it is meant to be wildlife friendly. One day, when I am financially able, will have to come up and have a look first hand. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
 scott... seems I remember you taunting us about your Florida weather in the mist of our cold winter.. maybe I shall taunt you that I live very close and am going to see his pond. hehehe ;)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »
I would love to start each day out with a view like that.  Your lily beds are gorgeous.
emm

Offline Missy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »
I'm curious about your story Mike-did you start out with a little backyard water garden and become obsessed? Or did you intend from the beginning to rival Perry Slocum as a lily breeder? I'm an old newsppaer hound and I sense a really fascinating story......

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
My story  is to long to go into right now because I have to dig lilies for Petesfish this afternoon. 
     My relationship with nature goes back to when I was 5 or 6 years old and saw my first preying mantis or box turtle I'm not sure which.  This turned in to an aquatic obsession at 6 when I saw my first crayfish and learned that there where turtles that live in the water.At 7, I started spending every summer CONSTANTLY in the creeks and woods of Indiana. At 15 I dropped out of school to live in the forest full time.  I've never lived by a road or  in a city since.

Offline Missy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
  o(:-)
I think you would make a great article. Just the kind I love writing.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
scott... seems I remember you taunting us about your Florida weather in the mist of our cold winter.. maybe I shall taunt you that I live very close and am going to see his pond. hehehe ;)

Tink, I can still taunt you with the tropicals staying in the pond all year without having to worry about freezing. ;)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
You can put me on the mailing list also!! I love your lilys and envy Tink the trip.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 09:00:23 PM »
you okay mike... looks like yall been getting repeated heavy storms.. guess your mountain top though away from the flooding.

tink

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
Yea Tink, pretty exciting weather.    Hail is all that I worry about. A waterlilies nightmare! But no hail here so everything's fine.
      Except tornadoes.
      Pic is last years tornado that just missed us. just an f zero, just knocked down lots of leaves and branches but still beautiful.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"