Author Topic: submersible filter for 850 gal pond?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Doogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
submersible filter for 850 gal pond?
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Greetings,
I'm trying to get a bit more serious about filtering our pond.  The pond is flat sided concrete at about 850 gallons and 50 sq.ft. of surface.  The pond is surrounded by patio, so any tubes or external filter will be highly visible. 

I was thinking about this kit:

http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_52_14/pm_2950_kit.html

"Biological Filters and Filter Kits: PM 2950 Kit
Deluxe complete submersible filter system which includes 12" x 24" box filter, 950 gph mag pump, two types of filter media, connectors and fountain head. For ponds up to 2000 gallons. 18' cord."

Instead of running the water out a fountain top, I will be running it out a 10 inch wide waterfall.

A couple questions:

Is that too much filter and pump for 850 gallons?
Even when I figure in the added 14 feet of hose to do the job?
Are there better, 'unsightly' filters that I can use?

Thanks!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: submersible filter for 850 gal pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »
I have a pond I dug just last summer (4th of July grand splash) that is just over 1000 gal when filled to the rim.  I don't know about the size of my pump off hand but I do know the stronger or more powerful the better.  Filtration is key to a healthy pond and the more water filtered the better.

The kit you show here is just a prefilter and the sub. pump.  There should be a filter box of some sort for the the water to run through before it goes back into the pond - did that make any sense?  For my pond I got one of these http://www.lagunakoi.com/prod94.html without the uv.  Knocking on wood, there should be no algae build up for my puddle since it is only in full sun for about 4 hours a day in the afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Offline Doogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I was just wondering how the heck I was going to keep debris out of my pump if I had to go to an external filter.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
Then you found the right pre-filter.  I have a pondmaster pre-filter too.  Only had to clean the pre-filter twice since it was first used.  I cleaned it just before winter, very dirty, and again this Spring, just to get a jump start when I fertilized my waterlilies.  Make sure to attach all the plumbing fixtures on tightly.  Lost favorite lionhead fishy when the prefilter somehow got detached from sub. pump during Spring clean.  :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"