Author Topic: FROG! FROG!!!!  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
FROG! FROG!!!!
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »
 @O@ I pulled away the boards on the boardwalk that cover the skimmer/filter and I found a frog sitting on the top of the filter media. He is good sized and GREEN, beautiful green. I say he because someone told me that the circle by their ears if large is a male. I am so happy to have a frog because every year they die during the winter and we didn't have one last year at all. One year I had one that was in the Skippy often and I would feed him beetles. Isn't this silly, to be excited about a frog? But it just seems that if I'm trying to have a real pond that I should at least have a frog.

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: FROG! FROG!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
This is almost unbelieveable to me here in the south. We have so many frogs here that it is a chorus of grand proportions every evening, nature's song. We have toads, bullfrogs, leopard frogs, tree peepers and so many others that will invade any water hole that is available. I guess I should just count my blessings.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
I did the happy dance, screeching, when I saw my first frog at the pond ... hubby thought I was nuts.  ;D

Offline cricket67

• Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »
yeah years ago when i first started ponding when i got my first frog i was sooo excited...i ran in the house and told everyone to come out and see the pond....everyone thought something was wrong with it....when i told them ya'll hear the frog....they told me i was me sick person to be happy over a frog.....Well call me sick cause i love the sound of frogs.... ;D

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
No its not silly at all!  I am mourning the loss of all my frogs.  I can only guess to the snakes that live in my rocks.  I liked them as much in my pond as I do my fish and miss them sitting in the pots etc.

tink

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20:38 AM »
Yepper! I was so excited the first frog I had. Had them quite a while then all of a sudden one of my favorite Midnight Shubunkins disappeared, and I later saw the fattest frog I have ever seen. I caught them (had 2) and took them to the nearest water.

These were bullfrog tadpoles I bought that morphed in my pond. I've never had a native frog visit my ponds. I've had a few toads, and this year for the first time Spring Peepers.  @O@

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:11:01 AM »
Esther, if there's one thing your fellow ponders on this forum understand, it's being tickled over having a living critter in our water puddles!  We're with ya!

One thing that bugs me, is, I hear toads calling from ditches and from my neighbors' dry back yards, but really don't have any in my own backyard, which provides complete cover and even several ponds and pools.  Go figure!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:13:02 AM »
Ok, That's it!  I'm sneaking up to Esther's pond  {:-P;;  YAY FOR YOU!!!!  Of anyone, I understand!  lol   @O@  Maybe whisper to him that he should send relatives down to Toledo  :D

Offline jax

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
I want a frog too.  Any old frog or toad will do for me.  I miss the 2 that died this winter.  I loved their sounds right outside my bedroom window.  I'm going to find me one, so help me, and bring it on home to live in this nice waterfall and pond.  Glad to hear so many people like these guys (except when they have one of your fish in their mouth).  I've liked them since childhood.
Jax

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
I get tickled pink too when I discover frogs in my garden, especially when they lay eggs that turn into fun tads in my water-plant pots!  @O@  Go Esther!

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
Yea bullfrog same here except no leopard frogs. Are you sure you have leopard frogs and not pickerel frogs?
      leopards are becoming rare and nobody knows why last I heard. 
      They used to raise them for dissection at the high school my dad used to teach science at. 
     Boy I'd sure like to get ahold of an egg mass. I'd like to raise them for release into my ponds, since they're native here. It might be an ideal environment here for them.  Give them a hand fighting extinction.
     Pic is a Pickerel frog.

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
Lepord frogs are protected here in California. We have them in the evaporation ponds and the EPA are always up in arms abut the frogs and the salamandars (maybe it was a lepord salamandar... and a red legged frog hmmm). Any who I was talking to our EPA guy thats on site here mentioning that I wanted to go to the ponds and catch a few frogs or eggs for my pond. You know what he told me... "oh you don't want that! your backyard will be a wildlife habitat and you wont even be allowed in your own back yard!"

pfft!

so I bought myself native (non endangered) tadpoles, was given a GREAT BIG tad pole and just enjoy watching them grow... btw does any one know when these things start developing?

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
I had my first frog eggs this year. I was excited.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
Frogs (except huge bullfrogs) are always exciting  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:32 AM »
Yes Mike we still have Leopard Frogs here, my corner of southeast Texas is pretty swampy. My favorites are the green tree frogs with their little suction cup toes, they can climb a wall and chirp all night long.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
Yes ! Tree frogs are my faves to!    Grey tree frogs around here, Hyla versicolor I think.  They change color like a chameleon and are TOTALY tame. 
      Toads are also very cool dudes.  Before I built my ponds there were very few toads around here. Now there everywhere, especially in the valleys at night, there all over the roads.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
Tadpoles take a long time to metamorphisize.  Bullfrogs can take 2 years.  My Gulf Coast Toad 'poles take just about all summer, before they develop legs and hop off.  And that's with me feeding them and pampering them.  In a puddle in the street with nothing to eat, it must take even longer to transform.

I had a job in Anuhuac once, and they had tons of green tree frogs - of which I have none here 60 miles west in Houston.  After work, I would get a net and a jar and go grabbing them off the windows of the house, where they stuck themselves so as to catch the bugs that flew toward the light. 

No matter how many I transported back home, after a night or two, I never heard them again.   :'(

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

http://www.savethefrogs.com/   
"And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the lonely cry of a whippoorwill or the arguments of the frogs around a pond at night?"
Chief Seattle - 1854
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 05:09:11 AM »
That is one cool looking frog Mike.

Offline iriscottage

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
we get excited and squeal over frogs and toads here too:)
We saw bullfogs 2 times here before we built a pond!
This year, a bullfrog stayed in my small pond, I was so excited to see him.
Guess what? You can but tadpoles on ebay!! We did, and it is so fun watching them in the pond. Some are maturing faster than others.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 04:26:46 AM »
I guess we are blessed and never knew it. We have millions of frogs here. When I was young and my heart was an open book, this was way before air conditioning was common in homes, the green tree peepers used to get into the house all of the time because the door was canstantly open and only the screen door was a barrier. It was a kinder, gentler day.

There is a beautiful place about 30 miles south of Cancun called Paamul. An american oral surgeon built a really nice mansion there and you can rent the entire upper floor or the lower floor for $70.00 a night. It is beautiful, when you walk out on the large veranda upstairs all you can see is the blue ocean and the green jungle. They ask you to please not kill the geckos in the room because they do eat small insects. The place is modern but geckos have a way of slipping in. They chirp at you at night and it is a nice sound.

This is a really romantic place to take your loved one for a week. Close to Cancun but away from the hustle, close to the ruins at Tulum and Chitchen Itza. You can see the accomodations if you click here  http://www.scubamex.com/casawil.html

Great diving too and geckos, hard to beat.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 05:02:07 AM »
More frogs...this is a Vulcan frog doing the mind meld thing... you are under my power, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 05:44:41 AM »
I hadn't seen my frog for a few days and began to wonder if he had left. The other day I heard that "boing" thing that sounds like someone plucked a guitar string and wondered if I was hearing things. But then Friday I was right there and heard it loud and clear. Last night we had the front window open and it is within 3-4' of the pond and my grandson came in with a huge grin and said, "I just heard a "boing" coming from the pond." He was excited too, to know there was a frog there.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
The " boing" sound is a green frog.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »
More frogs...this is a Vulcan frog doing the mind meld thing... you are under my power, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

I'm glad someone liked that pic. It's actually of my sister's white's tree frogs, Bud and Gorgy. Cute caption for it. I was surprised anyone liked it well enough to post it. The one on the right is Gorgy, the other, Bud. My sister also keeps some gorgeous redeyes.
Kay

Offline Kabuki

• Members
  • With us since: 16/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
I live in Northern California and this plant nursery has this big pond outside where these 2 inch frogs live, and they hang on lily pads, or sit near it right next to the pond. So if you walk up they all jump into the water and make the cutest sound sort of like a brrr sound. Very quiet, so you might not even notice it until you hear it a couple of times. They make it when they jump. The owners don't know what they are, just 'frogs'. Well. That's my frog story and I'm sticking to it.  lol

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »

I'm glad someone liked that pic. It's actually of my sister's white's tree frogs, Bud and Gorgy. Cute caption for it. I was surprised anyone liked it well enough to post it. The one on the right is Gorgy, the other, Bud. My sister also keeps some gorgeous redeyes.
Kay

Those are real frogs?

I thought it was a statue thing. LOL

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »
Me too Missa.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 03:57:14 AM »

Kay

Yes, I scapled this picture from here a while back, I really liked it. Cool frogs.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"