Author Topic: Magic Jack  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Magic Jack
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
Has anyone tried magic Jack? It plugs into you USB port and uses the internet for your phone calls. $19.95 for the year with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call waiting.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:21:59 AM »
I ordered one about a year ago.  But, when I got it, I realized that it probably wouldn't work with dial-up (which I had at the time).  So, I returned it.

I know have wireless internet through my cell phone provider and would love to try it, but this internet still sucks a lot of the time as we live in an area with a lot of trees, railroad tracks, hills and water nearby.  Needless to say, our cell phones reception sucks too!  And all of this aggravation for only $175 a month!

If I still had my high speed internet through AT&T I would give it a try (but can't get it here).

I would probably give it a try if I were you, I'm sure you can send it back (I didn't have any problem getting my money back).

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
Bullfrog,
I've got it and I'm satisfied with it.  It is not crystal clear like a landline phone, and it probably a little less quality than a cell phone but the price can't be beat!  I've got mine hooked up to an inexpensive cordless DECT 6.0 phone ($25 Uniden from Best Buy) so that may be part of the lesser quality problem.  I've never tried it with a corded phone.  Once I activated mine, I got several offers to add a 5 year renewal for $59.95, which is much less than the $19.99 per year!  I have not renewed yet, but plan to.  The nice thing is it is portable too.  Even overseas, as long as you're calling a US or Canadian number it is free.  Calls to overseas number are charged, but I think the rate is cheap.

911 service works different though.  You have to enter the address you're currently at into Magic Jack's list of locations so that if 911 is called, help shows up at the right place!!!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
Bullfrog if you get it let us know how you like it please. I have seen this advertised on the t.v and wondered for a long time if it was any good. It is rather tempting for the price.  :)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »
My son & his family live overseas.  He got the Magic Jack with a US phone # so we can call them for free (we have unlimited US long distance service).  It only cost him $20.00+/- per year.  It is working out well.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
We use Lingo so I can talk to my parents for an hour and my wife can call her mum in Manchester, all for one low price. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
Scott,

What is Lingo?  Never heard of it.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:02:41 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. AT&T has lied to me so much its disgusting. One person quotes me a price and when the bill comes in its higher. I call and they say "Theres no way they could have offered you that but I can offer you this..." The bill comes in and its still higher. I call back and get "Theres no way they could have offered you that" I tell them I have the persons name and date to no avail. I guess I should do like all businesses do and start every call with "This call may be recorded for quality purposes.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
I deal with Realtors.  I make then verify by email.  I use my hearing as an excuse.
Many drop it right there.  A few legit ones do write.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
My husband got us one. He considers it  "alright", I was annoyed by having to log in, move the laptop....The reason we got it is because we do not have a land line here...because with our cell phones we saw no need for an exrta bill. Last month my husband had a lot going on with work and was on the phone so much we were outta our minutes and anyone with a cell phone knows what it means to use minutes you don't have! Normally we are fine but some months you have to use more than normal. He saw magic jack as a good option. Personally I just get annoyed easy and I think the cordless phone he got was butt.....However when you look at the $ for a monthly landline and consider a year is the price of 1 month of a phone company.... My husband did mention that they have trouble with 911 because they can't tell where you are but I don't know where he saw that.....

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
Scott,

What is Lingo?  Never heard of it.

Lingo is a VOIP service that you can use over any high speed internet connection (cable or DSL). It's like $25.00 per month and you can call anywhere in the US, Canada, and Western Europe with no long distance charges.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
Thanks Scott,

I searched it and it doesn't sound too bad.  Unfortunately, I don't have DSL or Cable available to me where I live at current. 

Hope all is looking up.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »
Well I got the Magic Jack but have to run a phone line into the room with my computer. The room with a good phone line has my old PC with windows 2000 which won't run it. The lines went bad over the years so I'll pull new lines and it will be a done deal. You must list your adress with Magic Jack so your address shows up on 911 calls but that is no big deal. you can also add it as a second line because you get a new number so you can actually try before you buy and if the quality isn't good I haven't lost that much. Anything to get away from those lying dogs at AT&T.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 11:17:07 PM »
Bullfrog, I wonder if it will work with xp or does the computer have to have a certain amount of power? I really would like to try it but I will wait to see how you like it first. Thanks, Janice

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 04:07:06 AM »
Janice, yes it will work with XP, you do need broadband, high speed internet, cable internet, DSL, WI-FI, Wirleless, WiMax or Fios (whatever that is). I have broadband and bought the new wire and jack this morning, but I worked midnight shift so I'll start on it when I wake up later. I'll tell you how I like it.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
Cool, and could you let me know what you have to plug it into on the computer as I may not have that accessory but then again I may  :thinking:. Thanks  :)

Offline Brian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
Janice,
It is a USB device.  All you need is one free slot.  They don't recommend you use a hub, though.  I am currently using it on computers that have USB 2.0, but will be trying it on an older PC with the slower USB 1.1 when I have the time.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »
Thanks Brian, I think I prolly have the slower usb port on mine as it is several yrs old. When you try it on your slower machine I'd like to know how it works. If it sounds clear or if it fades in and out.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 04:53:32 AM »
The speed will depend on your processer and the amount of RAM that your PC has, it might just be a great excuse to upgrade to a new, faster PC. I love my new HP.

Offline Brian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:04 AM »
Janice,
I totally spaced it...I've got an old 1Ghz Intel PC that I'm putting 384MB of RAM into.  I also bought a USB 2.0 PCI card to put into it and that is what I'll use.  But I'll try it in the slower port for you as well and let you know.  The added card may be an option for you as well.  I got mine online for less than $10, but I've seen them at Wal-mart for about $30.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
Yes Brian let me know what happens to the quality if you use it on the slower port. So you think it works as good as a regular phone (not a cell phone) on your faster port? I have Intel (R) Pentium (R), 4CPU, 1.60 GHz, 1.59 GHz, 768 MB of Ram, XP Pro, Version 2002, Service pack 3. So if I get a USB 2.0 I may be ok? Or do I need more Ram?

Bullfrog do you have your Magic Jack all hooked up and working now? If so how do you like it?

Thanks guys for all the info.
Janice

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
Not yet, been working nights ans I need a 1/4 drill about a foot long, but soon.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
Bullfrog is it soon yet?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
My wife's cousin in Canada uses it and loves it and he apparently is able to call people in the U.S. & Canada for free.  He has a Florida phone number (he explained but I wasn't paying attention....) which confuses some of his Canadian friends when they see the area code.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:49:07 PM by Mikey »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:20 AM »
I finally got one day off yesterday only because it was my wife's birthday and had to take a one day vacation to get it. I drilled the hole and mounted the phone receptacle. I started running the wire to the box and then had to go get the goat some medicine when the vet opened. By the time I got back my wife was up and I took her kayaking the creek. It's close, all I have to do is run it to the box now.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
Wow I didn't realize it would be so much work. I thought you just had to plug them into the computer and hook your phone up to it and voila that was it. I sure hope this works for you for all the trouble you have to go through.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:55 AM »
Wow I didn't realize it would be so much work. I thought you just had to plug them into the computer and hook your phone up to it and voila that was it. I sure hope this works for you for all the trouble you have to go through.

Thats really all you have to do, but the phone jack in the room with the computer had a bad wire so I had to rerun it which I did yesterday. I just woke up and now all I have to do is plug the darn thing in and download the program, but I need some coffee right now before work and don't know how long that will take. Maybe I'll get another day off this week.  :)

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »
We got a Magic Jack a couple months ago and really like it.  It just plugs into the USB port with a small card that hangs out.  We plug the base of a wireless phone into that and as long as the computer is on the phone works.  If the computer is off, voicemail picks up the number and then it sends you an email with the audio file of the message.  Pretty slick.  We can call anywhere in the US or Canada for free for as long as we want and they can call us.   

We are using it now on our Mac laptops but I have an older Sony Vaio that needs a new hard drive, I may get it fixed so we can hook the Magic Jack to that and not have to keep one of the laptops near the phone jack.  With the wireless phone, I can't tell it from a landline phone or good cell connection.  Our friends in the US say that the voice quality for them is better over the MJ than over our cell phones. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
Jonna I need to know where did you buy that magic jack? that for some odd reason seems magic to me.
I spend 100 bucks on calling my friends and some family I have left in the US and it is sucking me up.

Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
I think you have to have it delivered somewhere in the US.  We bought it online and had it delivered to Mimi's brother's house in Denver, she was up there for a week and picked it up.  It doesn't matter where it is used though.  It actually sat there for over a month before we got it down here and plugged it in, it didn't matter.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"