Author Topic: First Lotus bud of the season, other pond pics, and an updated shade garden  (Read 1452 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
First Lotus Bud of the Season on Little Golden Phoenix! Can't wait!!  @O@

A tiny anacharis bloom.

Some beautiful Foxfire pads.

Containers on the patio.

Our entire deck is shaded by an enormous Crepe Myrtle. It's just starting to bloom.

The front of our house has a very shady corner. The grass hasn't been growing well in one spot, so we adjusted the rock border to capture some of the spot. I bought a few pink everblooming hydrangeas that were temporarily planted in these pots until I could put them into the ground.

Last night, I bought some really nice hosta, hechura, and ajuga to put into the black mulch that we spread last weekend.
I think everything pops against the black mulch, and even though not colorful necessarily, the white brightens things up.

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
They are all beautiful! We are building a garden shed and once it's built we are going to have a shady area, I'm very excited to plant a shade garden!

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Woohoo!! Everything is in full swing in your part of the woods. 
Alfonso

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Jessica, won't that black mulch over heat the plants in that area being in Texas?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks!

I'm not sure about the black mulch getting too hot. This area is 100% shade from a huge elm tree. This is my first time using mulch--maybe someone with more experience can chime in?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Everything looks great Jessica...........love those wavy pots. O0

Karen

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I have the hardest time with growing flowering plants in the shade parts of my yard under large oak trees.  I finally settled for red/pink/white caladiums and they return every year here in Florida.  Note of interest, Caladiums also produce a single large white flower when the plant has matured. 

Where did you get your rocks from?

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
Hi MJ, What part of Florida do you live in? We moved to Texas from Gainesville about 2 1/2 years ago. Caladiums also do well here, but so far have been annuals for me. Maybe they would do better if mulched here? The rocks were with the house when we bought it, not sure where they came from. The previous owners had them up on their sides sticking out of the ground, very jagged. I like this way better. ;)

Karen, I'm a sucker for glazed pots!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Beautiful shade garden.  I like the large pot in the flower bed too.  I have lots of broken in half pots which I lay in flower beds which look like they are partially buried.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"