Author Topic: Greasy water film in Turtle haven...what to do?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Greasy water film in Turtle haven...what to do?
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
There is a very greasy film layer in my turtle pond.  This is the first year we have witnessed a 2+ yr old male turtle aggressively trying to mate.  Is he causing the greasy water?  We have 6 females and 2 males but it's only the one guy who is making all the moves.

What can I do do get rid of the yuck?  I've cleaned out the whole pond and scrubbed it clean last month when I first saw all the grease and replanted bacteria in the bio-filter.  Now it's yucky again!  The water looks fine other than that.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Greasy water film in Turtle haven...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »
Sounds like you might have a leaky pump. (if there's one in there?) If not sometimes rotting plants will make a greasy / oily looking mess in the water.

To get rid of it first remove the source. Then you can either place newspaper very lightly on the top of it then lift,  and the paper will absorb it up. Or just overflow the pond till the oil runs out.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
My first thought was pump also.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
Thanks Nancy and Esther!  I'll check the pump and replace it if leak is the cause.  It is about 5 years old and has been very reliable. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:38 AM »
Your question was more on how to get rid of the oil. I know that pool companies sell little things like a sponge that you put in the skimmer so that the oils that have come off people's skin, suntan lotion etc, gets dragged into the skimmer and then absorbed in this "thing". But I don't know what that "thing" is. Google removing oil from water surface maybe.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
Thank you Esther!  I honestly never thought the greasy stuff on the water surface was anything but something caused by the turtles making whoopee.  ::)  I have removed and replaced the old pump with a spare pump.  I used paper like Nancy recommended although it was the absorbent white paper towels - unfortunately gave up newspaper because of the horrible writing style.

Removed as much of the film as I could and hoping this all started because of the old pump.  Amazing you ladies thought of the leak in the old pump.  I would have never known.  O0  Thanks again!

I hope it will look better tomorrow.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
I feed my turtles fish once a week.  Of course, live goldfish are the closest thing to what they'd eat in nature.  Second best I found was frozen smelt, because they have guts an bones. 

When I couldn't find those, I once fed catfish.  What a mess!  Catfish are fatty fish, and they really messed up the water.  I NEVER fed catfish again.

So, if not your pump, perhaps it's what you've been feeding them.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
Thanks Julles.  the ladies above may have found the problem.  I had change the water again because the grease got into the bio filter and the grease left a nasty ring around the walls.   :P

I changed the pump and set everything back up for the 8 tenants.  Looking good after 24 hrs.  Hopefully it was just the pump.

Our 6 femmes and 2 guys eat a small amount of turtle pellets and veges daily.  Once in a while when the weather is warm I feed them little goldies I cull from the bigger ponds.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
I just know that some pumps are sealed and if the seal is broken, it allows the grease that is inside to escape.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »
I forgot to mention the pump looked really worn and corroded if that makes a good description.  So far so good with the new pump.  The one male turtle is still at it but the girls won't budge  ::) ;D

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
The one male turtle is still at it but the girls won't budge  ::) ;D
Maybe a little Marvin Gaye is in order.  {:-P;;
It worked in Somonauk :thumbup:
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
Funny Freddie!  I already have eight turtles - a "gift" from my mother - long story  :P .  I don't want more.  Can't give these guys away unless they go to a very caring home.  As my DD says 'I don't trust my turtles with anyone'.

Can anyone say castration?  :D

What is story with Somonauk?

So far so good with the new pump.  I think the ladies above were correct in saying it was the pump leaking oil.  Didn't have time to mess with the old pump.  Just tossed it bolo style into the trash.  O0

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »
Somonauk is where the Marvin Gaye of the toad world resides. 8) (see pics on other post). There are now a bunch of toad egg strings in all of the parrots feather floating at one end of our pond. And he was back to serenading the ladies again last night  :hug:
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
Ohhh!  I saw your toad post....too cute!  Now I think you'll be needing ear plugs soon! 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
Was the pump a Little Giant? They are notorious for leaking oil.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »
I'm not sure of the pump brand.  But Little Giant doesn't ring a bell.  My old pump has been around for a long time.  But this is the first time I've heard of a pump leaking oil and boy does it ever!

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »
Two year old male turtles do not mate - they may make the motions, but they aren't mature enough to do the deed.  And in all my years with turtles, mating never caused any extra mess in the pond - not like it does with koi. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks Teresa!  That's good to know.   O0

Well our little guy is making all the motions and there's a lot of schtuff going on with his tail  :o :o :o ::)  And sometimes we see an ejection of clear greasy like liquid - did that make any sense?  Definitely not poopies.  :P

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"