Author Topic: Hot Air Balloons  (Read 2617 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Hot Air Balloons
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:11:26 AM »
We were cleaning out the garage yesterday and look what flew over us. I didn't have the camera for the first one, but snapped these other three. We were waving to them, and they were waving back.  8) My little guy (4) thought it was a blast- he was yelling "HI!" as loud as his piercing little-boy voice could get.
They used to fly over us all the time, but I guess the weather has to be "just right". This is only the second time I've seen them this year.

My favorite-

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Air Balloons
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 08:43:58 AM »
That's pretty cool!  Do they give rides?
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »
Very cool!!! I've always said I want to ride in one but considering that I don't even fly in planes any more I don't know if that's ever going to happen.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
Yes this is the time of year for them. They fly when the weather is cooler. Why I don't know?

We have a few fly over here every once in a while. Once we were driving up camp, and we saw a BUNCH of them at one time. There must of been 40 of them. Real neat site to see.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
Hey Nancy! Nice to see you- long time no see!  :)

"They fly when the weather is cooler. Why I don't know?"

That makes sense. I wonder what that magic temp is? Also,I'd imagine they can only fly when it's not too windy.

Monica, I think they do give rides. I read a story about some homeowners in  Barrington Hills who were annoyed that balloons were landing on their pricey- multimillion-dollar-rolling-hill-estates. Gosh, if I lived there I certainly wouldn't mind  that kind of entertainment. It's not like balloon riders are bank robbers or something.  :D

I'm deathly afraid of heights. Get butterflies in my tummy just imagining things.  (8:-)
Karen

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:13 AM »
Hi Karen!!!!!!  @O@

Here's a piece I found on Hot Air Balloons. The third sentence down explains why the cooler weather. Duh !! Makes sense.  :)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hot-air-balloon.htm

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
I think it was a fad a few years back. We used to see them on clear quiet evenings a lot but not any more.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »
I went on a hot air balloon ride with a friend once. He and his wife got a champagne hot air balloon ride as a wedding gift but she was pregnant and could not drink or take the flight before it expired so Geo took me along for the ride. It was amazing! I have a picture around here somewhere that I could scan, I just don't know what stack of photo's it's in.

I am afraid of heights and falling, this was very secure and you move so slowly that you do not feel like anything can go wrong. The burner is very loud though, but it keeps you warm when you are up in the cool air.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 05:29:33 PM »
We have a hot air balloon company right across the closest main road from us so we see the balloons every good flying day.  They usually go up early morning and around 7-7:30 in the evening in the summer.  They are still down so low when they go over us that we can hear the woosh! very loudly and see the people in the baskets.  Even though it's a pretty common sight I never tire of seeing them because they're so beautiful.  When I lived in Reno, NV quite a few years ago I loved to go to the balloon races.  Balloons, sunrise and mountains.  Try & beat that!
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Viv

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:29:04 PM »
Cool!

I love to see them. Usually they are flying with the Southern Alps as a back drop. Very nice and soothing to the soul.

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 03:54:41 AM »
My little guy (4) thought it was a blast- he was yelling "HI!" as loud as his piercing little-boy voice could get.

Awww, how cute...i could just envision that...

This is the time of yr for hot air balloons.. i know there are many places that offer hot air balloon rides... I really love to watch them... very serene... Im not sure i would have the nerve to take a ride in one, tho...
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 05:25:12 AM »
I used to crew for the hot air balloons here . . . . once I actually got to crew for Flip Wilson's balloon.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »
Very cool 8)  However I'd be afraid to go up in one.  I see too many incidents where they get caught in power lines :no:
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:36:57 AM »
Hot air ballons are so beautiful.  I would love to go up in one some time.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »
I love to see hot air balloons, but I would never go up in one.  Hubby flys an ultralight "trike" and I won't fly with him either {nono}
Karen

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 08:38:11 PM »
...and you move so slowly that you do not feel like anything can go wrong.

Funny, but my Mom said the same thing. She said she felt like the balloon was stationary, and the Earth was moving by at a very slow and confortable pace.

Pa Nancy, thanks for that link! I enjoyed that article very much!  O0

Funny that my 76 year-old Mom will go on one, but I'm a wimp.  :D
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"