Author Topic: Pondering electricity around the pond...  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Pondering electricity around the pond...
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
Most of us at this forum have ponds, and most of those ponds require electricity for pump operation, lighting and other uses.  We take electricity for granted and use it familiarly with great familiarity, often ignoring the hard truth that electricity can easily kill us.  As a reminder not to take shortcuts that can shortcut our very lives, please consider the following:

Common sense guidelines for using electricity around ponds or water features:

Many local electric codes do not have specific rules for water gardens.  Where they do not, the codes for

swimming pools apply.

1.  NEVER use extension cords to power any permanent electrical device around ponds or water features.  this

includes both submersible and out of pond pumps, lights, or any other electric appliance.

2. Provide a separate circuit from your house service distribution box to your pond with an appropriate circuit

breaker size.  Caution! Electrical codes require 10 feet between receptacles and the pool edge.

3. Run all outdoor electrical lines within approved PVC conduit.

4. Bury all conduits according to local electrical codes. (Generally PVC should be 18 " depth.  UF wire not in conduit

can be buried but must be 24" deep.)

5. Use appropriate cable:  UF type, NOT Romex.

6. Use appropriate size cable: Check ampacity requirements of pumps, etc.  15 amps requires wire size 14.  20

amps require wire size 12.  30 amps require wire size 10.  40 amps require wire size 8.

7.  Terminate all service runs with PVC outdoor receptacles configured with weatherproof covers approved for

wet locations, such as Carlon's MM-400GY-B Multi-Mac receptacle covers.

8.  Outdoor switches must be approved for wet locations such as Carlon's Weather proof switch cover.

9.  ALL outdoor circuits require ground fault protection.  REMEMBER HOWEVER, GFI's protect only from

current running from the circuit to ground.  If you should find yourself across the line voltage of the GFI output

you can STILL DIE!  If this were not true, your pump would not run.  This is possible in rubber

liner pools because the water in the pool is often insulated from ground by the rubber liner.  Because of this you

can have a leakage from a faulty submerged pump and the GFI will not trip because there is no leakage to ground. 

However, should you come in contact with neutral AND THE WATER in the POOL, you could be toast.  This is

because  the GFI cannot distinguish between you and the normal "load".   Technical operation of GFI's is

explained at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gfi.html .  GFI's occasionally fail.  NEC

recommends monthly testing.  There are GFI's available that have an indicator that lights when the protection has

failed.

10.  Pool grounding:

As noted above, If your pond is lined with rubber (EDPM) or HDPE, the water is likely insulated from ground.

Therefore, if a submerged electrical device is leaking current into the water, the GFI will not trip, and your fish

(and you) can be hurt. This can be prevented by grounding your pool water.  To do this, drive a grounding stake

into the ground near the pond and attach a copper wire such as a 14 0r 12 gauge to it and make a loop at the other

end (with any insulation removed, of course) and place it permenently in the pond in a discrete manner.  Be sure

not to have any sharp points exposed that could damage your liner. With this system in place, should any electric

device in the pond develop a leakage to the water, your GFI will shut off the current.

If all this seems too complicated, hire a Qualified professional electrician to provide your pond with electrical

service.  If you think that's too expensive, ask yourself, " How much is my life worth?" how much are my

children's lives worth?  Be safe.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering electricity around the pond...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Well said.   O0
Alfonso

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »
Great job Johns. Now I just wish I understood half what you said.  I didn't notice if it was stickied yet or not. We have to make sure it doesn't get lost.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Can we save this thread to the article/tutorial section for future reference?

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
Yup, I was just looking up Jerry/Sean's address to make sure they don't miss it.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
Thanks Johns...I see one of my worst habbits on that list-extension cords  :-\.....I really need to address that with the electrician that put in my last outside plug-in.....and get them buggers grounded...thats not a mistake I want to make again....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"