Author Topic: testing skimmer for leaks  (Read 987 times)

Offline cawolfe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
testing skimmer for leaks
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »
How can you test a skimmer for leaks, the face is open , I am afraid to bury the connections, how will I know if they leak?

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: testing skimmer for leaks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:46 AM »
If you don't want to bury the connections I would guess that it hasn't been installed? In either case place some paper towels under it and put a few drops of red food coloring in the skimmer and fillo it up. The stain will be evident. I've glued hindreds of pvc joint and never had one leak, only the ones that are threaded and some extra teflon tape stops that.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline cawolfe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
Anyone else want to chime in on how you test your  skimmer for leaks  before you have the liner in?

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:37:30 PM »
Bullfrog's advice makes sense.  It's always scary to cut into your liner.  The unknowing haunts all of us. 
Alfonso

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
"Before you have the liner in"? The leaks in my skimmer always appear in the faceplate/liner/skimmer connection as the sealant deteriorates over time. (Gave up on silicone sealants years ago. I use black PL polyurethane roofing and flashing sealant for everything in and around the pond. Never the less, the tugging I do in putting on and taking off the rubber door in the winter and when I backwash the waterfalls loosens it. Every spring I peel it off and reapply new.)

Tell me the configuration... what connections do you have? Does it have a submersible pump or external? is there just a single exit pipe? a bottom drain?

I just wrap a paper towel snugly around bulkheads, ball/gate valves and connectors and clip with a clothespin -- you don't really need colorant. It's either wet or not.

I agree with Bullfrog: PVC primed with cleaner (acetone) and glued with dark green label Oatey PVC glue is NEVER gonna leak.

Offline cawolfe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »
I have one overflow out and 1 out to waterfalls, I had a problem with the bulkheads, they tighten one way and the next fitting tightens the opposite way, I also have some pipe tape on the threads that wanted to slip,  I put lots of silicone on the fittings and hope they don't leak.

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:44:41 AM »
Yes, the paper towels will be wet if there is a leak but if there is a leak they will get soaked over time with a very small leak and you might not be able to tell exactly where the leak is. If you do a visual check while you fill it with water it is evident with food coloring. Let me give you an example. We had a leaking toilet where the tank bolts onto the bowl. I'd wipe it and it was such a slow leak I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. The logical conclusion would be the large gasket where the tank and bowl fit together. I went online and found this solution.

I flushed it then tied the arm up so it wouldn't refill. Then I thoroughly dried the wet bottom and let the water refill it while I added food coloring. Guess what? It wasn't the big rubber gasket after all, it was one of the four small bolts that held the tank to the bowl. I watched with a mirror and a small red stain started coming from one of the bolts. The small rubber gaskets had rotted on that bolt and the telltale red liquid showed me exactly where the leak was. Had I removed all four bolts and replaced the large gasket and not noticed the flattened out condition of the four bolt washers, it would have still leaked after all of my trouble.

But I would have seen the flattened out, hard condition of the small rubber bolt gaskets and it would have at least mean't another trip to the hardware store. If I hadn't done this and not replaced them, all of my work would have been for nothing. Threaded joints need a generous wrap of teflon tape or they will leak, it will be a very small amount, just drips which won't amount to much but I agree, the main concern is where the liner meets the seal.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline cawolfe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »
Thank you all I will try that.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"