Author Topic: Using Proform-C for Ick  (Read 1120 times)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Using Proform-C for Ick
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:32:22 AM »
Many of us are having a terrible time with ick this year and I for one did not introduce any new fish or plants into my ponds so it came from frogs or birds that came to my ponds and since the ick got my baby fish in the floating nets first where the birds were pooping I am thinking it was the birds. There are many meds at local pet shops to treat it but you are better off just using plain table salt before investing in most of these. One I tell my customers to stay away from is Melafix.
 Melafix has tea tree oil in it which is a great for our skin but not so great when it coats our wet pets gills (esp. when they are struggling to live). Would you want oil coating the inside of your lungs?
The best treatment for Ick is Proform C and Proform C also treats a broad spectrum of other disease. It has a long shelf life if kept in a cool place and is one of the meds you should keep on hand to treat your wet pets.
When you do have to start treatments the bottle says to do one treatment every day for 3 days but this is wrong for ick, the life cycle of is 7 days and the only time you can kill the ick is at the end of its cycle. So you need to do 4 treatments one every other day and do a 25% water change with each treatment. You must know your water volume for proper dosing.
Do not use the Proform with more than .1% salt.
And you can order direct from Koi Care 714-379-1623

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Using Proform-C for Ick
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »

Tracey I've actually used Melafix with good results.  It does not in my experience cause any distress to the fish.

That said I use Proform C and will be trying Minn Finn in the near future.  I've had to many problems with ulcers last year and I think :pray: I've finally gotten a handle on it and everyone right now is clean.  They will all go into the big pool (12' intex) and get a Minn Finn treatment before going back into the pond.

Going to add a channel of anoxic filtration too
Mary

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
I am seeing some evidence of ich and no new fish... but I have added new plants (soilless in gravel) which I did treat with PP but maybe not well enough.

Will Proform-C harm louisiana iris, thalia, sword and rumex? They are in containers too large to lift and I don't have a yet-larger container to keep the multi-holed pot in if I could. Oh darn I also have impatiens and watercress in the cracks of the falls. That can't be moved either.

Offline Missy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »
I did not have any plant issues with QuickCure, which - although I suppose it may be molecularly different as Tracey  indicates-does have the same 2 ingredients as ProForm C (formalin and malachite green) I thought I noticed some browing of the larger, older  water hyacinth leaves-but this may have been a coincidence as these things were growing leaps and bounds at the time. The new foliage looks great. Also it did not hurt the frogs in my pond for which I was VERY grateful,

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
I am seeing some evidence of ich and no new fish... but I have added new plants (soilless in gravel) which I did treat with PP but maybe not well enough.

Will Proform-C harm louisiana iris, thalia, sword and rumex? They are in containers too large to lift and I don't have a yet-larger container to keep the multi-holed pot in if I could. Oh darn I also have impatiens and watercress in the cracks of the falls. That can't be moved either.
I have Iris planted the same way in the pond I have been treating and many water lilys and It has not hurt them or the bullfrog, and my ducks don't seen to mind it either.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"