Author Topic: News said no rain .... well, they lied!  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
News said no rain .... well, they lied!
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:48:26 AM »
I looked at the forcast on both the local news & The Weather Channel, & it said like 30% chance of rain.  So I sweated & slaved at watering flowers/draining my big pond for a water change/topping off all my puddles of water.  Last night we had tornado sirens going off a couple times, lots of lightning, some hail, thunder like crazy, reported 80 miles an hours winds, & buckets of water.  The news said something like 6" in an hour for our area.  I hate it when I spend money on city water when I could just waited for that free rainwater  >:(  It is rumbling & raining again this morning so I've not checked for any damage yet.

Is anyone else having an unusually wet/cold season this year?  Annette was saying she's had too much cool/gloomy weather & I know our spring was really wet/cool.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Missy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: News said no rain .... well, they lied!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:56:30 AM »
Oh god yes. We have had about 15" of rain since the beginning of March and we're under a flash floood warning today in the northern Shenandoah Valley, Va. When the sun came out one day last week I felt like I was emergeing from the Mole Kingdom.

Offline txpondnut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:16:28 AM »
Please send some our way!!!! It's dry as a bone here with no rain in sight. They predict 100+ temps today and all next week.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »
Our area is having one of the coldest and wettest spring ever, since they started keeping records.
 The local farmers are having a very tough time even getting all the crops planted. It was dry for
about a week and the tractors were out in the fields day and night trying to get everything planted
before it rained again. There's a lot of fields with standing water in them still.
 As I write this it is raining at temps are barely into the 60's
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:23:13 AM »
Nope....dry and hot here...(we don't count humidity as wet  :D )  We need rain, but nothing in the forecast.  Your rain in Dallas won't make it to us...so they say. 

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:17:51 AM »
minnesota here. first the 3rd driest may on record. now we are breaking the coldest high temps for june. it has been the coldest most awful spring. low 50s all the darn time, still running the furnace. i have not had One lily bloom yet. (i can see a couple of buds- yaaay!)  on the bright side? temps are Finally supposed to moderate a bit after today. we have had 5 days with no sun but i think  it might show today. it really has been a most unusual year. our winter was super long and cold and not much spring. the first day it hits 78 again i am just going to stay out by my pond-All day! lol  andi 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »
Unusually cool and wet is what we get here this Spring.  We had may be 3 days of really hot temp then cooled off.  I haven't seen the sun for the last 3 days.  But forecast said we are getting the high 90s temp next week so we will see.  I see lots of critters and mosquitos because of the wet weather.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:36 AM »
I would take all the rain from you if you want.
We are burning entirely.
All we see is a pretty blue sky with no clouds at all.
Reaching the 100's pretty often and seems like rain has forgotten about us.
Here is somewhere different with the news they say there is 80% chance of rain and all we get is dust flying because of the wind.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
Same stuff at my place, but that's just because I am a few miles away. I am in grapevine now and it is storming like crazy. Today's forecast says it will reach 97 before more severe storms this afternoon. Fun stuff.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40:35 AM »
I turned the heat on in June for the first time EVER in my entire life.  ::)
And we are in the 4-8" weekly rainfall range SO FAR this week.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
Needless to say we are using double silk comforters to stay warm while we sleep.  The air is still dry so it's difficult to turn on heat - otherwise we wake up looking like raisins.  :o  I'm in double thermos all day at home.  But you know it's all relative.  I'm enjoying it while it lasts.  I know somewhere down the line we will bake!  :'(

Last night we had tornado sirens going off a couple times, lots of lightning, some hail, thunder like crazy, reported 80 miles an hours winds, & buckets of water.

:o OMG!  Tornado sirens in Dallas?  I can't imagine!  I would probably have a heart attack every time!  The only sirens beyond fire stations and police cars are the once in 5+ years we have practice sirens from San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station.  We live in the range of decimation.  @O@  :P

I hope your ponds are well...looking forward to seeing 80+!  O0

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
It's Global Warming I tell ya! ::)   ;)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
We haven't had any rain here for 23 days now and that is very unusual for us at this time of the year. I'm not complaining but it is weird.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
Well, this is suppose to be our rainy season here. They are advertising water conservation on the radio. Certain people watering lawns on certain days. That includes people on wells and city water. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Holy moly! That's insane! I'm almost envious- only because I'm a big nasty weather fan- I'm visiting oregon right now and am excited about seeing thunder and lightning, but I hear its 80s and 90s back home w a few clouds

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
I wish we could spread a little of the rain and cool around.

We've had no rain for over a month - maybe two months, at least not at my house.  I'm watering like crazy, but I come home to wilted pots and landscaping.  The storm clouds roll in and tease us, but, if they're dropping rain, it's no where near downtown Houston.  Temps are near 100*

I wish all you American Ponders who have not yet, would put, on the left side of the page, under your info, what area you live in.  Then, when we read about sleeping under comforters and whatnot, we'd know if you're in Canada or Florida. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »
 :-\  We've only had 5 1/2 inches since the first of the year...we'd love to be able to share.  We only had 10% humidity one day last week...but foggy this morning so it isn't that dry now.  There has been rain around us but none here yet.

No talk of water conservation...we aren't necessarily any dryer than normal...average of about 18" per year.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
I saw on GMA this morning the rains/flooding in Dallas.  :o That's a lot of rain for no rain in the forecast!  I hope Kat and all ponders in this area are doing well.

We're still in the gloom and have just enough drizzle to make the cars outside like really crappy dirty.  >:(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"