Author Topic: looking for an idea  (Read 1027 times)

Offline shelgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
looking for an idea
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
So I want to put a trickle tower in my pond.  Here is a reminder of what my pond looks like:

I want to do a tower - maybe sticking 1.5 - 2 feet out of the water, maybe 6 inches by 6 inches square.  Plus I want a small bowl/birdbath on top.  So water would pump up the center of the tower, fill the birdbath and then trickle down the sides of the tower.  I can't decide on what to use though.  Stone squares, tiles?  Or maybe give it a cool personal touch by doing a mosiac sort of thing with broken pottery pieces.  How would I attach the pottery and what would I use as my tower?  Anyone have any pics of anything at all similar, or have any opinions/ideas on this one?
Thanks!!!

Oh, another question - the pond surface is roughly 11 ft by 3.5 feet.  How many lily plants do I need to get good lily coverage?  I currently have 2, plus 6 hyacinth.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:17:30 AM by shelgirl »

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: looking for an idea
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »
A big urn-shaped vase in the center of the bird bath would be great.  They are very popular as fountains.  The water fills the vase / urn, and then spills over the rim, down into the birdbath below.  Pond stores have ones that are already drilled and fitted for the tubing.

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »
what about a drilled basalt column you can get them just about any size and then set a bowl on top

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
shelgirl,

I love your new pond! 

If you're not to worried about a bowl shape on top, strawberry pots make good trickle towers.  I had one and I filled it with (sorry brain dead at the moment) the stuff that looks like charcoal but reddish in color that you use in propane grills.  Pot already had a hole in the bottom, so I ran a hose up through the bottom and just barely stuck out the top (above) the charcoal stuff.  I sat it on a three legged flower planter stand in the pond. It worked really well. 

Another idea might be to buy a couple clay pots, just two different sizes (one just the next size up from the first) and the round bottom plate the same size as the bigger pot on the bottom.  You would stack the larger pot on the bottom upside down, probably want to set on a stand that would accomodate that size pot, then put the
smaller pot, upside down on top of that, and finally put the saucer (upside right -  of course you would have to drill a hole in the middle of this) on top of the second pot, run your hose up through the pots and there you would have it. Probably wouldn't  be deep enough for plants, but could put some charcoal things in the top (same as the strawbery pot idea).  Never tried that in pond, but made a really cute birdbath out of two pots and the base of the larger one, was pretty cool.

Sorry if this is clear as mud, but hard to explain sometimes.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »
It is a kind of country setting, you could do a spin off of my redneck fountain. I like galvanized buckets and if you tilt them they flow from one to the other and make a nice sound..

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline shelgirl

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:25:07 AM »
All GREAT ideas!  I'm still formulating a plan... any more suggestions?  Hope to head to Home Depot tomorrow and look around.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
 o(:-)     Shel...I love your pond...I've wanted one of those for years.

Bullfrog...that fountain would look right at home here at the corner of RedNeck Road and the Boondocks.      8-)~

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"