Author Topic: What would make a filter float?  (Read 802 times)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What would make a filter float?
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
I have had the same filter for years. It is a mag pump that sits in the middle of a big black container surrounded by filter pads and connected to a hose that runs to the waterfall. It has ropes tied to it so I can pull it out of the pond to clean it and it is quite heavy to pull out. One night I came outside to rescue my cat out of a tree and I noticed no sound of the waterfall. Looked in the pond and the whole filter setup was floating on top still running and everything was still in its place in the filter. No sign of any animal damage anywhere and the pound is 3 & 1/2 feet deep. After I turned it off it sank to the bottom immediately. I'm sure it was sucking in air so that's why it wasn't pumping any water but what would make it come to the surface in the 1st place? Could it be because I was killing the algae w/ the kitty litter like crazy and the filter was full of it and caused gases to form? I've been cleaning the filter every so many days to get rid of the algae accumulating in it. When I came back in the morn I cleaned it all out again and now it is working fine again. I just can't figure this out and I really need to or I will have to worry about it happening again when I'm not there to rescue it and it could burn the pump up. Thanks for any help. Janice

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What would make a filter float?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Sounds like it got some air in there, somehow, but by cleaning it, you have fixed the problem.   Let's hope it doesn't recur.

Offline frogman3

• Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Once this type of filter get clogged with gunk they float, the only way to prevent this is to put a rock/brick on top to weight it down. I used to have the same problems with mine which is why I built my own out of the pond up flow filter. Much easier to service

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 07:51:59 AM »
Is the filter stopped up so the box isn't being filled completely?  Mine does this when it needs cleaned.

Putting the brick inside the filter instead of on top helps also.

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »
Guess if it happens again I will have to add the weight. I just hate to do that as it's hard enough to drag up outta there now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"