Author Topic: Any car guys/gals out there?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Any car guys/gals out there?
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
I had trouble a while back with my Ford Ranger's Transmission Shift Cable (wouldn't start unless I put the shifter in neutral).  Took it to a mechanic and he said it was stretched, he very kindly, and for free tightened it for me and it has been working well.  I know I should have came up with the money to fix it, but never did.  Now, the last couple days it's been acting up again.  I finally got a doctor appointment at the free clinic tonight and when I went to leave at 5pm, I couldn't get it in any gear.  Finally got it started and put in reverse, backed out of driveway and went to put it in drive and no way....wouldn't go into any gear but neutral or reverse! Keep in mind, this is my only vehicle and I live six miles out of town.  I called several auto stores in town and they can't one.  I tried searching Ford's websit and can't seem to find the part.  Maybe I'm overstressing over nothing, but my fiance is leaving out of Mobile on Tuesday for almost seven weeks (and I  will be here by myself)  I need a vehicle to get my mail at the post office   and just for general things I need.  Not to mention getting him to the airport.  (He is going to San Mateo, CA to the Help Clinic to learn or get better from his RSD pain that he got from his work injury in Jan. 06 and still hasn't been able to return to work.) 

Forgot to mention that we found a bult? on the floor board of the truck, looks like it came from the steering column or dash, with grease on it. 

I'm just wondering, how much will the part cost and where can I get it (the Ford dealer is usually pretty expensive, but I need it fixed ASAP!

Sorry for the long wind, guess I'm mostly just venting...I'm so frustrated right now!

Thanks to all that read this...I'm sorry!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any car guys/gals out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:14:47 AM »
Different year models use diferent mechanisms to activate the nuetral switch that will not allow the vehicle to start without it in park, there are a lot of variables. You have to get it fixed and a local owned shop will genearlly be a lot cheaper than the dealership. Just a set of spark plug wires cost over $70.00 at the dealership when I worked there in the 80's when you could buy a set for $20.. or so at Auto Zone. Try and find a honest repair shop quick.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »
Thanks Bullfrog,

Did some checking this morning.  Ford wants $103 for the part and $160 for labor.  Goodyear wants $103 for the part and $150 for labor.  The local guy that tightened it for me once will do it for $188 total.  He said early next week (need to order the part).  He said bring it in today and he can put the screw back in and adjust it in the meantime.  Guess I'm going with him.  He did my fuel pump before and seemed very reasonable and very nice.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
OK, Took it to the local guy and he said before we worry about buying a new one and spending $188 he'll check it out and see what he can do.  After he got the screw that fell out back in, tightened the other one that was lose and did some adjusting, it was dead on.  He said there is no reason to replace it now, or for a long time, save my money.  I got to tell you, after he got it all tightened up and adjusted, the needle  is right where it needs to be for every gear (it's been a long time since it's been that good).  As much as I felt like I wanted to go ahead and replace it now, he made me feel very good that I should'nt have anything to worry about.  At least he didn't just say yeah, it needs replaced to get my money.  He worked on it for about 45 minutes and I paid him $30, felt that was reasonable.  Wooooo Hooooo!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
Tonya, you are very lucky to have such an honest mechanic nearby, so many of them are rip offs and con artists including the dealerships. The best advertisement is word of mouth, send all of your friends to this man so he stays in business.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
Thank goodness for the small honest business man. Where would we be without them.  O0

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »
Bullfrog and PA Nancy,

You both said it!  I think he is great!  It's not everyday you find someone like that!

Offline nartas

• Members
  • With us since: 13/12/2022
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 10:32:26 AM »
This ongoing support helps franchisees stay updated on industry trends, new products or services, and changes in business practices. visit this site

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"