Author Topic: Someone elses lily for a change.  (Read 1499 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Someone elses lily for a change.
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
Mayla.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Someone elses lily for a change.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
Beautiful color! o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
Twins....Beautiful  o(:-)

bonnie

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
Gorgeous!
My Mayla bloomed on Sunday but the color was really washed out.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Missy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
I am interested-what affects the saturation of color on a lily? Why is that Mayla so super-deep colored as opposed to someone else's that is not so intense.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
Beautiful flower Turtle. Wish I had it.

I am interested-what affects the saturation of color on a lily? Why is that Mayla so super-deep colored as opposed to someone else's that is not so intense.

I second this question. My Red is pink.
My Denver looks right though.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
I don't know if it might have something to do with the weather here. We've had mostly cloudy skies and rain for about 3 weeks now.
My Mayla has always been the bright intense pink but this bloom was much lighter than usual. My Firecrest is also unusually pale.
Everything else that has bloomed so far seems to be its normal color.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
In the spring, after transplanting and during colder and Rainier weather most hardies tend to lighten in color and start looking similar. I've seen Mayla ,fire opal and Peter Slocum growing together in a cool valley pond in spring where they all looked so similar and light colored it was hard to tell them apart.   My neighbor who owns the pond said " Whats the point of planting different varieties when they all look the same" 
   Of course a couple of weeks later when it warmed and the plants started to settle down it became obvious who was who.
    The interesting thing to me is that early season flowers often lack much of their unique petal shapes and subtle color characteristics that distinguishes them and they  look like run of the mill flowers. not just faded versions of what they will become as the season progresses.
   The same thing happens with seedlings. Their first flowers never really show what they're potential is and they slowly mature in both shape and color for at least 2 years. In my opinion.
   Odorata heritage pinks do this the most but even Alba heritage plants are lighter in spring. and after transplanting.
  It's like when coming out of dormancy or or being transplanted the plants experience a new beginning , a new childhood where the are again growing into there full expression and potential.
  I have a pink oderata that blooms more than any other odorata type that I know and has fiery red orange stamens but early in the year the stamens are only orange and yellow And seem to darken all summer. But the petals are always hot pink even early in the season
    Here is a pic.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »
You know, for a long time, I didn't think that there was a solid color other than yellow or white until I joined this forum. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »
What do you mean Scott

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
Mike, every water lily that I had to bloom except for Chromatella, Mexicana, and Alba were not solid in color. What was suppose to be pink was pink and white and the same with the red. I bought an orange but it never made it. It struggled but eventually died. The purple tropical that I posted a pic of is an unnamed but it's not yellow or white. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline sooks

• Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
You know, for a long time, I didn't think that there was a solid color other than yellow or white until I joined this forum. ::)

Lol ;D ;D
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"