Author Topic: Victoria cruziana from seed- so far so good  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Victoria cruziana from seed- so far so good
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:02:32 PM by Vickie »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria cruziana from seed- so far so good
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
Great job, Vickie. How many leaves are you up to. Walter Pagels sent me three seeds and one has made it to three leaves so far. Have you grown V. cruziana before? If so, am I over the hard part yet?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
Good job so far Vickie. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping them going now. Hope they do well and bloom for you.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
Pondman yes Walter Pagels sent me the seeds too. I had 2 sprouted one unsprouted. I have 3 leaves and 4th is coming. I think I read 4 th leaf is past the critical stage. Fingers crossed here. Mine are in a heated tub. I am zone 6a and not taking any chances. When water at night is warmer and they grow more I will repot and push the pond tabs to them. This is first time I have got this far. I had sprouted seeds die before a few years back. If these make it I sure will try to grow them next year from seeds too.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »
Mine has three leaves and working on it's fourth. I had it in a shallow black container that is in full sun from about 10:00am-3:00pm. The water stays pretty warm without heaters. I moved it to a half plastic barrel today that is right next to where it was. I have also given it a little piece of a Jobe Plant spike twice in three days. I am in Zone 9a and our nights are getting very warm now and the days are hot. Like you, I've had seeds sprout but die shortly after. I've gotten one to survive this time but it's doing good. If it grows and blooms, I can guarantee you that I will be sprouting more. I'm also going to try to over-winter this plant if it survives.

It will be interesting to keep this post going so we can compare notes. I did it on the mailing list with another Florida resident with the N. minuta seeds. My N. minutas are doing fairly well but no blooms yet.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
I have had minuta plants since 2005. I am thinking about planting more seeds this year.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
I just repotted my vics becaue I had them both in the same pot. Very carefully and put them in sand and dirt mixed. And 1/2 a plant tab broke up in the bottom. I was amazed that they had roots coming out of the pot already. I hope I did not over fertilize.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
The fourth leaf/pad reached the top of the water today. I'm a bit worried as it says at VA that the next leaf/pad is suppose to be bigger than the last but this one was a little smaller. Maybe it will get bigger now that it's at the top and I gave it a little more fertilizer.

My minutas were sprouted as soon as Walter sent me the seed back last year. I over-wintered them in the house by the French doors going out onto the deck with some mangrove seedlings and a few baby Lindsay Woods from one of the other members. I had two WL's in there but they desentigraded.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
Here is a pic of my little V. cruziana.

The leaf with the ruffled edge is actually the fifth one. The first one got damaged and I picked it off.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
it looks like its starting to get all thorny

tink

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
You're right, Tink. I felt the stem of the newest pad this morning. It felt like the stem of the blackberry vines. :) There is another pad on the way up. @O@
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
looks great to me. I have a fifth leaf coming.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
I'd like to try that.  How can I get seeds?  Sounds fun. 
Alfonso

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »
I'd like to try that.  How can I get seeds?  Sounds fun. 

Vickie and I got these seeds from Walter Pagels on the WGI mailing list but you can get them directly from Ben and Kit at Victoria Adventures. The bad news is, there are no more seeds till next year. :( I'm hoping to get some V. amazonica seeds next year. Those are harder to grow. Just keep checking at VA for the next batch of seeds. You will need to get them when they are first available so you can get an early start. Also, read up on cultivation of them at VA.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »
I'll do that.  I've seen them available on ebay, but always questioned the authenticity. 
Alfonso

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
Here is an updated pic of my V. cruziana. It seems to be fine despite a hungry snail and cooling water.

The sixth pad has a few black spots on it. Not sure what they are.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
I put mine in one of my ponds. Yours has passed mine up. Wow how neat yours looks. Keep the pictures coming.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »
I guess it's just beginner's luck. ;)

As soon as the next pad/leaf comes to the top, I'll take another pic.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
Okay, here it is with the 7th pad/leaf minus the 2nd and 3rd leaves.

The second and third leaves were removed just like I do other water lily pads that have started showing their age. The last pad looks like it's edges are trying to turn up.

The red pads are a lily that I got from Michelle.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
I know it is warmer there in Florida. I can see where yours would grow faster. Mine are still hanging on. I know yours will pass me up. I am so happy for you.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
Probably beginner's luck, Vickie, or the good Lord has blessed me. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »
Keep us posted.  I'm following this. 
Alfonso

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
I planted mine in a thermoplanter today. It will either grow or die. I need it to grow big enough to bloom. I only have until the 1st of October if I am lucky.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »
How many gallons is that planter, Vickie? I repotted mine into a 3 gallon pot. I have a big preform that I'm going to put it in. I'm going to try to keep the pads to a minimum size. I'll post a pic of the Victoria tomorrow. When I get a full dry day, I'll set up the preform. Maybe even have time to finish the lotus pond. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
My hubby says about 3 gallons. My main concern is it needs the warmth. Dang some days here are 75* F and rainy. Other days are 95*F

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Good luck & let us know if the heater pot does the trick.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
Okay Vickie, this little Victoria as of today. There is one pad that needs to be removed.

With the flash.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
Yep Fla makes a big difference. I am fighting a cooler zone. It just makes me think of new ways to do this. I never give up. LOL!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:59 PM »
I remembered something else that I could use for a pond for little Victoria. It's a 4-5 person hot tub shell that we had to hold off on finishing filling the holes the jets were in because a pair of house wrens made a nest in it but they're done with it now. I sanded it today to get ready  to finish the fiberglass work on it. I'll post a pic when I get it finished. I have to build a box for it as well.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"