Author Topic: Lotus seed after the filiforms now with 4 and a half leaves and a rhizome  (Read 6394 times)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus seed day by day pics updated
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 07:24:18 AM »
Scott, I've found the filiforms, now the big question how do I plant?  @O@

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:49:12 AM by HOWELL »
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus seed already filiforms on it pics updated please I need help
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
May I suggest finding a container around 18" in diameter and filling it full of soil. It only needs to be around 6" deep. When you get the soil in, pack it down. Stick your finger in up to the knuckle and wiggle it to make a hole. Place the seed in and pack the soil around it to hold it in place. Fill with water, let it sit for 30 minutes in the shade and then move to the pond or where ever you are putting it. I would suggest feeding it in two weeks to give it time for the roots to form.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »
I've already done that........ @O@
And I placed some gravel on top of the soil, so it won't get so nasty.
Am I doing this all right?

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
If it is super hot in your area, you should place it in your pond.  The circulating water will keep the temp down and reduce the shock.  Just a thought. 
Alfonso

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »
I placed it in a shady place, cuz we are so hot now, I just can't stand the heat and I'm sure the lotus won't too so it may be just getting a few sun at a time.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
Howell, you've done well. Keep me posted as to how it is doing and post a pic of it in the container. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »
Hi
Scott.
Well I may post pics of my lotus later this week since, I am already at saltillo.
But will post it for sure....
This morning I saw that the filiforms more like roots now are getting into the dirt and the second leaf reached the water surface and maybe preparing to unfold.
But yeah, all I wanna say is thanks for your help, I aprecciate your knowledge.
This was and still is a long journey but good thing is I've got some wonderful help.
Anyways I'll be posting soon.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
Howell, once you pass the lotus seed test, then you will need to try water lily seeds and then move up to Victoria seeds. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
Scott and everyone else this is how the lotus seed looks while its second week.
This is how cool the lotus looks like, I know I may have had failed the container test lol but that was the biggest one I had at that time.
So NE-ways enjoy the pics............... ;D

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
They're looking good, Howell. O0
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
I just could not get a pic but for now the fourth leaf has reached the surface and now it is preparing to unfold.
And there is a growing white tip on the bottom kinda going on top of the dirt/soil that goes from the other leaves' steams.
What can it be?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
That is the growing tip. Don't let it get hurt. I will take a pic of my new lotus pond tomorrow.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
I will not let it get hurt at all costs.
I just saw it whenever I was looking for the mollies I placed in there because I needed them to eat the mosquito larvae.
Anyways I just can't wait for the pics.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
This is the fourth leaf reaching.

And this is it at its third or maybe third and a half week.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:50:30 PM by HOWELL »

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
Can I put a pondtab fertilizer already?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Yes. You should be getting aerials soon.

I didn't get the lotus pond finished. The monsoon season started. :'(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
I am gonna get areal leaves soon, my friends Scott is telling me nananananaana. @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Mi amigo, Howell. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
Ok, I already places the pond tabs in it, I guess or believe the next step is to create tropicals from vivips which my friend robie will may send me some leaves..... @O@

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
Pretty neat Howell!  Do you know the name of the parent that your lotus seed came from? 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
Nope.....this is a seed a friend of mine sent me when she got a thousand I believe together with tropical lilies ones from ebay, yeah I guess it was ebay.
So it can be any kind of lotus there is out in the world.
Anyway as soon as it flowers I will let you know if it has done it. O0
Next post areal leaves....... @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Here you go, Howell. The bigger pads are of the Sacred Lotus that I've had for 3-4 years. I just finished planting it today. I've started all of these from seed.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
That looks completely awesome and big.... @O@
Hope mine will get the same big soon.lol
Thanks for the pics I might post later maybe withing 2 weeks since that is when I go back to monclova.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Just a bump to keep this post up.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
So how did your lotus do Howell?  Would love to know if you were able to keep your plant going.

I have some seeds that I collected from some dried lotus pods that I bought at Michael's.  I've been wanting lotus for a long time but the plants are so expensive here $70 (or more) and I haven't been able to get any seed.  Until today that is.  Of course I have no idea what the origin of these seeds are but I'm going to give them a try.

emm 

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Make sure u Nick that seed w a dremel until u see the white fleshy skin under the brown outer coat so water can get in there and get em going, just nicked a dozen seeds myself

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Michelle.  I just finished rubbing 5 seeds on sandpaper until I saw a little spot of white.  Put them in warm water, 4 of them sunk and 1 is floating.  Will see what happens to that one.  I have 9 seeds left.  I'll wait to see how these first ones do.  If they germinate I'll try the rest.

emm

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The floating one doesn't germinate idea isn't always true I've had a floater grow

Offline emm

• Members
    • View Profile
I remember reading a post from Joyce about a floating lotus seed she had that germinated.  Believe it took a few days to absorb enough water to sink.

When I float tree seed I usually discard the floaters because I am dealing with thousands of seeds at a time.  If I don't have very many seeds I'll give the floaters a try.  For the most part they don't germinate but some will which makes it worth the effort sometimes.  But I do notice that the floaters that germinate sometimes fail to thrive and eventually die at a higher rate than the seeds that sunk in water.

The floating lotus seed is still afloat this morning.

emm

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
That is really funny, that they would sell lotus seed for $70 apiece to pond enthusiasts, but you can get a pod full of seeds for $1 if you just go to a craft or floral store!  I wonder if the craft variety has been treated, so they won't sprout.  Of course, if the shell is as tough as it sounds, probably any treatment won't soak all the way into the germ.  Good luck, emm.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"