Author Topic: Question about putting lilies without pots in pond!!  (Read 1314 times)

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question about putting lilies without pots in pond!!
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
 ;D Hi everyone!

I was wondering if the lilies would mix together if I put them bare root in the bottom of my pond without pots? Thanks
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about putting lilies without pots in pond!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
I had let my lillies go for about 3 yrs. They were in mesh pots. All the roots became so entangled that all the pots came out as one . VERY heavy. Had to cut them apart. Of the labels were missing or unreadable. Repotted everything and potted up starts, When they began blooming in the pond, and I figured out that I had at least one of each, I gave the rest to a friend. BIg head ache, be careful!

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:33:51 PM »
In my koi pond I had taken out all the water lilies. Some of the night bloomers had tubers that sprouted in the moss rock along the sides of my pond. They do not bloom like they should but have plenty of pads.  This year I potted up all of the lilies that were growing and it seemed that they had alot of root system and hardly any plant growth.  I have tried the mesh baskets also and same result. I agree it was more trouble later.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
Sounds like you are talking about just weighing them down somehow on the bottom of the pond and I don't have a clue if they could just sit there and grow. People here did say they tucked them into their rocks on the bottom of the pond and they grew so maybe so. Others may chime in here with some more knowledge on the subject.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
I have river rock on the bottom of my pond.  A few years ago I got tired of repotting my lilies each spring, decided to pull them all out of the pots, put them on the bottom and place a large rock on top of them.  They are all rooted in and bloom just fine.  I have all hardys; pink, yellow, white and red.  They have wandered about the pond and mingled, I love this look.  The only plant I have potted is my lotus.

This works for me.  I know a lot of people don't like rocked ponds, but I do.  Each spring before everything greens up, we take a large pump and suck the gunk off the bottom.  My pond is about 7,500 gallons.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
karen that is sounding soooooo tempting.  I have so much trouble getting my pots out of my pond.  ITs painful to lift them

tink

Offline sooks

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
Yes it's soooo painful to lift up the pots. LOL. Thanks for the advice everyone. But really I wanted to ask if they would change colors and join together and form new lilies or stay the same.  ;D
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
I have several that jumped the pots in my pools they have been bareroot for years...I'm really bad at NOT fertilzing enough and the ones that are growing bareroot actually bloom more than the ones I have in pots...I guess they get more nutreints from the bottom sludge....but, yes they will mingle...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »
I have river rock on the bottom of my pond.  A few years ago I got tired of repotting my lilies each spring, decided to pull them all out of the pots, put them on the bottom and place a large rock on top of them.  They are all rooted in and bloom just fine.  I have all hardys; pink, yellow, white and red.  They have wandered about the pond and mingled, I love this look.  The only plant I have potted is my lotus.

This works for me.  I know a lot of people don't like rocked ponds, but I do.  Each spring before everything greens up, we take a large pump and suck the gunk off the bottom.  My pond is about 7,500 gallons.

When you suck the gunk off the bottom how do you do it w/o sucking the fish up too..........this is what scares me........I don't want to kill any little fish.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
They will certainly mingle but they won't change colors. You could have an aggressive one out compete another and kill it but each is their own color and will stay that way.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline sooks

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the info  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"