Author Topic: My house was broken into and robbed  (Read 3444 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
My house was broken into and robbed
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:03:54 AM »
I've been on the fence about upcoming career options, and I think I'm finally pushed over the line to move on now. I understand that crime can happen in any city and even the best neighborhoods, but enough is enough.

I came home yesterday from work with pizzas planning to carve pumpkins and go trick-or-treating with my kids. Upon walking in the door, we noticed a broken window and missing laptop. I pushed my kids out the door and called 911 from the yard. For all I knew, someone was still in our home. The police promptly arrived and searched the house with guns drawn. The house was empty. One of us was allowed to walk through with the police to show what had been done since we last left the house. Apparently, lots of people store valuables in their dressers. We only have clothes! So the suspects opened every dresser drawer and dumped out all of our clothes, they tore boxes out of our closet and dumped contents on the floor and our bed, stole a list of items valued at about $3500 (including my laptop), and damaged our back door and completely broke one window and the blinds. All items were thrown off of my desk, papers, etc, our buffet was rifled through and contents thrown all over our living room, and so on. What really pisses me off is that the only cash in our home was in my son's bank. He had about $50 saved from various birthdays. He also had some collector coins from relatives. They broke his glass chess set when tearing through the closet and also took his game cube. It's such a weird situation as they took the laptop off of my desk, but left my digital camera and camcorder there. They also passed over about 100 DVDs on our fireplace mantle, tons of electronics, and tons of tools. Since we had to wait outside while the forensics team dusted the house, I took the kids to a neighbor's house to go trick-or-treating with them. The neighbor had been home with one of his sick kids that day and reported two teenagers going door to door offering to mow lawns without a lawnmower. It turns out that even though he was home, they still stole his kids' bike out of their garage. It was found a few hours later. So we think these two approximately 15-year-old boys are who did this. I'm relieved that it was probably just kids, and not dangerous professionals, and that no one was home and hurt when all of this took place, but also feel extremely violated. I know, it could have been worse, but still...

We have had several vandalisms and reported several incidents since living in this home. It's a good neighborhood by a very good school, which was our entire motivation for buying the home. It's just unfortunate.

Thanks for listening to me whine!

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My house was broken into and robbed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
I hate thieves!  I'm sorry to hear that your home was violated. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »
I'm so sorry Jessica. Its a horrible feeling to have this happen. I've only had it happen once and for some reason they didn't take anything extremely valuable.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
I cannot imagine the feeling that would give a person.  So sad that the kids had to see that - hope it doesn't cause nightmares.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 09:28:11 AM »
I'm so sorry :(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »
So sorry, It a horrible feeling, such a violation to know someone was in your home and stole your things.
It happened to my daughter, only it was a pro...your's does sound like kids did it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
Oh Jessica, that's terrible. Do your boys understand what happened? I hope it doesn't scare them.  Guess you need to get an ugly dog.

I live near a couple of pretty moneyed neighborhoods and almost every summer we hear of a rash of breakins. The robbers are usually kids or out of work desparate people and end up getting caught. I hope they catch yours.

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »
That is just horrible.  I have never had my house broken into but I have had things stolen from me and broken.  I hope they catch them and if it is kids they need to be taught a lesson.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts. This is just such a mess!

I forgot to list in my initial post that a 22C revolver is in the list of items stolen....along with ammunition. Fortunately, we have the serial number, make, model, etc. on that. It was a western style gun from like the '50s or '60s with the original price tag on the box. Thankfully they left the box! It was passed on to my husband from his grandfather.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:33:06 AM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »
I'm sorry.  It must be such a creepy feeling to be violated like that  :'(  I don't care about having "things" stolen so much, it's the sentimental things that can't be replaced and I worry most about my pets being hurt or getting loose.  The good thing is no one was hurt.  You're right, there is no safe place.  It only takes a couple bad apples.  I hope those kids get caught and get help to get on the right track.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:52 AM »
Very sorry to hear that happened to you Jessica.
What a terrible feeling to have someone in your house like that.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »
So sorry Jessica. I can't imagine how you feel. I hope they catch them.  {-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
Violated is right!  The feeling will fade, but in the meantime it is an awful feeling!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »
That's awful!   :o  I cannot imagine the feeling that would give a person .
I hope you &  kid's don't have bad nightmare's from this . Maybe U should think about getting a Big Dog .
My Copper is a big slobbery MUTT who love's everyone , but I don't tell people that . He make's me feel safer when stranger's come around .

Bonnie

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
Unfortunately, since the perpetrators are likely juveniles, even if caught, they will likely recive a slap on the wrist.  IMHO they should look at 15 years in prison.  If anyone invades my abode while I am here, regardless of age,  they will die, either from my 65 lb draw bow or from my 357 magnum colt.  Enough is enough.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 02:22:12 PM »
For years and years we never had any problems where I live.(Agriculture area + hubby was a cop)  Now, with the "ice" problem it seems that everyone I know has been broken into! My story is that my shop was broken into... they took a plasma cutter, along with some other tools.  The shop is about 30' away from the house, we thought the guy who rents it from us was out there.  Turns out the theif DROVE up my 3/10th of a mile driveway, backed up to the shop and helped themselves, then stopped and talked to our worker on the way out!  The next morning, when we figured out what had happened I sent another guy to the biggest drug dealers house and bought back the plasma cutter.  Of course hubby had a fit when I told him what I did...  Then I ordered servalance cameras and had a 16' gate built across my driveway!  Figure the gate isn't going to stop the a***oles, but at least they're not going to be able to drive up here! 
I'm so sorry Jessica... hope the kids are okay.  It is trully terrifing when this happens!
Tammie

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 04:01:08 PM »
I am so sorry Jessica! >:(

When I lived in NYC, I was robbed 3 times in less than 2 months.
Ended up being my supers son and a couple of his friends.
Got 'some' of my stuff returned, but most of it was pawned. >:(-
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:07:56 PM »
Hi Jessica:

Sorry about the break-in, but truth be told everyone is okay and everything is replaceable.  Count your blessings and move on!  Don't let the scum deter you from being happy or changing how you live; otherwise, they win.

Gary

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »
Jessica, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're all OK, and glad that you & your family weren't home at the time. Hopefully the police will get some nice prints.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
Jessica, I'm so sorry, that just stinks >:(
My son had problems two or three years ago.  Young kids that took electronic things mostly, he found some of them in a pawn shop.  It happened three times and the last time they poured a bottle of hair conditioner in his saltwater tank, killed everything.  Poor kid called me late that night when he got home from work crying his heart out, he was 23 at the time.  He got a security system and that stopped it all, but the darned insurance company just cancelled him and he had to pay a much higher premium with the new company.  We recently installed a security system in our home, after the initial cost of equipment and installation, monthly monitoring is only $20, well worth it.  Hope you had nice policemen  {-) {-) that helped calm your boys.  Sorry about your husband's gun, things like that can't be replaced.  The whole thing just stinks >:(
Karen

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »
While cleaning this evening, I found that they shot the gun into our mattress. The forensics team recovered fragments in our box spring! Now it's upgraded to armed robbery plus shooting a firearm. I hope they get them!!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 10:52:31 PM »
My youngest still does not sleep well. I really wish I did not know exactly how you are feeling right now!

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 04:01:35 AM »
How awful for all of you.. I cant imagine how you must feel.. and the kids! omg... your poor kids.. i hope they are going to be ok. What a fright for them (and you)
I do hope the little rotten thieves are caught, soon.
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 05:05:07 AM »
God Jessica I am so sorry! Sorry scumbags! Maybe with the firearm aspect to it, if they catch them, they can make it stick even if they are juvey.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 11:17:30 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your robbery. I hope they find they too.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »
How terrible!!   :no:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"