Author Topic: Some blooms from the past week.  (Read 1997 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some blooms from the past week.
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
The first one I've shown before, which is N. alba.

The next one is another white, Juno.

Another two unnamed purple with Juno in the background.

And finally, little Helvola is back this year.

Also, I got an email from some friends that were part of the club. They mentioned while they were here to pick up plants that they had some that I wanted, cattails and water lettuce. I didn't take a pic of the cattails but I did get a pic of the WL.

I got two cattails that were at least 6' tall with nice size catkins. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Finally, I also got a few Duck Potatoes. This was a pic that I took for identification.

I've also been promised Apple snails and native frogsbit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:37:32 PM by PondmaninFL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some blooms from the past week.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
love the blue lily.  I wont tell you how lucky you are to have those colors.....

tink

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »

Finally, I also got a few Duck Potatoes. This was a pic that I took for identification.

I've also been promised Apple snails and native frogsbit.

What is the name of this one, cuz one time it appeared on our flower bed and I took it off because it was a wild plant.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »
Your white odorata looks like a white night bloomer to me. maybe Juno ?

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
maybe your two blues are Rhonda Kay?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:31 AM »
Your white odorata looks like a white night bloomer to me. maybe Juno ?

Mike, I was just going by the description of Florida's native N. odorata and the fact that many ponders here pull plants from the wild. This actually came from some folks that the pond was already there when they moved there and wasn't sure what they had.

The blue came from Sushi who got it from Kat as an unnamed water lily. The only truly named water lily in that trop pond is Lindsay Woods that I got from Savannah. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
I thought odorata was a hardy?  I have a white odorata hardy.  I'll have to check that out.
Alfonso

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
VERY NICE !!!  o(:-) o(:-)  lorraine
lorraine

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
I might be wrong about the odorata. I do know that it is fragrant and it is a night bloomer. :-\
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
PondmaninFL,

They are all very pretty!  I especially like the blue/purple.

From what I've always heard and read, tropicals have the ruffly, wavy edges to the pads...

That Duck Potato looks really interesting!

I don't have any water lettuce, but I do have hyacinth and some pickeral weed, etc.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:17:29 PM »
Tonya, your pickerel weed (or rush) is just a sprout compared to mine. lol

:)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
 ;D

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »
Mike, I've done a little research and you're right. It is Juno. If I remember right, it's original name was N. dentata.

Oh, I promised cattails, so here they are.

These are 6-6.5' tall.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 05:47:03 AM »
Pondman if it came from a wild population I wouldn't call it Juno because it could be a seedling even if someone planted Juno there to start the original population in that pond It seeds like crazy and any seedling would not be true to name. I think I remember reading somewhere that Nymphaea Lotus can be found growing wild in FLA. I'm sure Craig will have an opinion on this and I would like to hear what it is. 
   If it is a Nymphaea Lotus I would love to get a start of it from you someday.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Oh I would love one too.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
It for sure isn't N.odorata....the only thing odorata has in common with the lily in the picture is the flower color.  It is a white day blooming hardy and the picture is of a white night blooming tropical.

N. dentata is an invalid name for the species lily N. lotus and not N. 'Juno' which is a cultivar.  Mike....N. lotus has been introduced into Florida, but not to my knowledge  as far north as Ocala.  I see it in SW FL.....Lee and Collier counties.  It is not native, the only native night bloomer is N. jamesoniana and it is Hydrocallis and not Lotos....which is what the lily in the picture is.  That is Lotos ( subgenus) not lotus ( species).  This is a link to the state data base of where vouchered specimen have been found: http://www.florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=2005

A large part of the problem is that native areas of Florida have been intentionally planted with Nymphaea for years....decades.  The pioneers in the aquatics industry, like Albert Greenberg of Everglades Tropical, planted tropicals all over the state instead of building production ponds, per se.  So I'd be extremely reluctant to consider a lily from a man made pond in Ocala to be anything other than mongrel.  Given the pond owner has no idea of its origin, it could be a seedling of any number of night blooming lilies.

The picture is of N. jamesoniana collected legally ( it is illegal in FL to collect plants from state lands without a permit), by a friend on staff at the U of FL from an area in Collier county, which is about the northen limit of the species range.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
Craig, I didn't collect this from the wild and the people I got it from did not collect it from the wild. A matter of fact, all I did was mention that some ponders that I've met here have picked up plants from the wild. So, if you are insinuating that I collect from the wild, you are wrong. The only thing that I would collect from the wild if it was native here would be a Aztec Arrowhead. Ring a bell? I will call the water lily whatever I want, it's mine. If it was one of yours, Craig, I'd compost it. >:( Oh, I no longer live in Ocala either.

Mike and Vickie, if y'all still want one, I'll get your info as soon as I'm able to send them. I believe there is one that needs to be divided but it's also blooming right now.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
Wowsa Scott, where did that all come from?  Mike asked me for an opinion on the ID of your "odorata" and I offered one.  Rather than saying simply that 'I have doubts it is N. lotus' I took the time to explain why and even linked to a great web site that you as a FL resident should be interested in.  If you took any of my response as a personal attack, I apologize, as that was not my intent.  I thought I was being of help to you in learning to recognize the differences between a hardy lily and a tropical night bloomer.

Ruby-eyed Sag?  It does ring a bell.  Are you suggesting that you sent me postage or some such thing and I never sent the seed?  As I recall, I told you the seed has to be used fresh and I only set enough for my own purposes and as I set it in the fall, it would be too cold for you in Ocala to start it while it was still viable.  Plants, I have plenty of, but you asked for seed and that I harvest and use, so I wasn't able to help you.

But please spare me your insincere indignation; even though I never "insinuated" you wild collected anything, your words more than speak for themselves "Mr. Invasive Plants": http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=8116.msg85101#msg85101

I could care less what you do; that is between you and the authorities when you get caught.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »
Craig, you've dropped on my list of trusted plant people. I never sent you postage for anything. You never told me that you wouldn't send them to me. If you had sent them to me, I would have made arrangements to grow them indoors. I'm sure that I couldn't afford an adult plant from you and right now, I couldn't even afford the postage. Now, if you wanted to send one as a peace offering, I might accept. :-\

As for the water lily, I've looked it up, compared the pics that I've found with the plant that I have. If it looks like it and smells like it, then it's got to be a Juno. You are not here to see it first hand. Oh, I've had county inspectors in my yard when I lived in Ocala. All they asked the park owner (I wasn't home) was if I was selling the plants. I'm not. They are stricter on nurseries than on individuals here.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"