Author Topic: the HEAT  (Read 1754 times)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
the HEAT
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:05:44 AM »
the heat here is horrible,i am an outside gal and i haven't been able to withstand this heatwave....my pond looks horrible because i can't get out there to change filter media...even when i do the heat grows the algae quick...i am purchasing 2 new stronger pumps in a week or so that will help. i broke down the waterfall altogether because i'm sick of fighting the green...i was thinking of putting on the side a large pot with water flowing out of it.will be easier to deal with...the temp has been in the high 90's for 2 weeks with no rain so the heat index has been 105 and the humidity is gross.my garden is just about ruined.i water every evening but by 2:00 they are drooping...  :( :( :( anyhoo the fish are fine and growing and eating like pigs so thats all i care about right now....i guess i just had to vent...thanks for listening troops....  lorraine
lorraine

Offline Kabuki

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: the HEAT
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
Hang in there! We're getting into our heat finally this week. It will be high 90's from now on and higher. We don't have that humidity like you do. My water lilies are just starting to stir and pop pads, we've had the strangest weather. I've been using every excuse I can think of to have water running outside.  :D

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
I know what you mean!  It's in the 100s here and probably will be for days to come.  And no rain!  It is dry, dry, dry.  I desperately need to be repotting but can't bring myself to go outside other than to water. I am watering everyday. I don't think it's going to get better anytime soon.  YIKES!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
I feel for you.  It is terrible here, but we don't have that humidity as you do there.  My plants are drooping as well.  I'm going to bump up the water and add some B1.  Any gardening will have to wait till the evening. 
Alfonso

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »
It's finally getting warm here! I don't think it's been above 80*  in 6 weeks.  I'm LOVING it!

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
holldoll where do you live?? i would love just a cool breeze,i have a swimming pool and i couldn't swim to cool off the water is literally HOT
lorraine

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
I live in the San Francisco area.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
I feel ya!  Hot & Humid here too, and lots of rain.  Have two ponds side by side, they look as if they are connected.  One is clear, and the other is horrible.  He cleaned off the pads to help out a bit, didn't help.  Then we had another huge down pour early Friday morning.   

Just funny seeing so ponds together, one blah looking the other crisp.  The one pond gets ALOT more sun.  Gonna try to rig up something tomorrow to help shade it a little bit.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
Hang in there!  HOT here, too.  Watered yesterday & my annuals need watered again  ::)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »
It's hot here too. I'm just so happy that the rains have started as they cool it down enormously in the evenings and drop the humidity too.  Not sure how that works but as long as it rains around sunset and no sun afterwards, the humidity is much lower.  If it rains mid day though, watch out cuz it gets really humid when the sun comes back.

I do love these tropical rains!

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Lovely pic, Jonna! 

Send some of that rain my way, would ya?

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »
Jonna! Hola! Que tal? I was wondering about you and your place down there. The rainy season has moved into the Yucatan for sure. We are going back to Cozumel next May. Lorraine and Water Sprite, I feel your pain. I also live in the southeast (Texas) and work at a refinery. We have to wear long sleaved Nomex in this triple digit heat all day. It feels cool just to have on a Tshirt in 100 degree heat after being in that all day. It is supposed to rain Monday though, everyone's grass is drying out down here.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
We left our home on June 16th for sw MO, wow HOT(mid to upper 90) and very HUMID 88%-94% It was in the mid 70's when we left.....We returned on the 22nd and wow the heat followed us, mid to upper 90's with 80% humidity all week, the pond water was even over 90*.....well last night it rain just a little, but the cold front that came through left it soooo much cooler 77* with good winds makes it feel even cooler, working outside today has been a pleasure.  So wait and it will get better and I hope for you soon.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »
It's been hot and humid here too.  The older I get, the more I dislike hot weather.  I don't know how you guys down south handle it.  Today there is a nice breeze and not nearly as humid.  I have been busy weeding the garden, flowerbeds, and clearing out my overgrown stream.  It feels so good to finally be able to go out and get something done.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »
I was at mothers near Austin last week.  It was 106 Thursday afternoon.

I was so glad to get home where it was just 101.  No rain in sight.

Mother came home with me.  She set outside til mid afternoon.  Upper 80's here today.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
Oh, its pretty nice here today.  Suppose to be great weather all week long.  My kids will be at camp, it couldn't have timed itself any better.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"