Author Topic: Friend Trampled by Police Horse at Last Night's Gay Pride Parade  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

One of my friends was trampled by an HPD horse at Westheimer & Stanford, while watching the parade. 

Instead of using the horses to just walk down the street and move people back from the parade, they had them stop and do those circle maneuvers they do, and people couldn't get out of the way, and the horse knocked my friend down, kicking her in the knee, back of the head, and mouth - she may loose some teeth.

The horses / cops would just move up and down the street, with the one in front shouting, "Get out of the street!" but since they had no microphone or megaphone, no one could hear them coming.  They continued to do this throughout the night, and the horses were a danger every time they came by.

Note:  My friend was not wild or unruly or drunk or anything like that.  Simply a middle-aged woman with her husband and a group of friends down to see the parade and support Pride. 

There was a doctor in the crowd, and he helped her until the ambulance came, and then she went off to Park Plaza.

Also, the cop(s) never even said, "I'm sorry."

Report from a friend of her husband:

I spoke with Bill a couple of times last night from the ER and got an email from him early hours of this morning.  They did a cat-scan and thankfully Kirste has no brain swelling!  She has a laceration on her chin so deep that it went almost all the way through to the inside of her mouth, but the ER doc couldn’t stitch inside because of bacteria (?).  She’ll have to follow up with a plastic surgeon for that.  They also did x-rays on her leg and no broken bones.  She has lacerations on her leg and arm, is bruised all over, and missing teeth.  They released her to go home very early hours of the morning.

I’m sure she’ll be very sore for several days, and that’s even before her dental and cosmetic surgery ordeal begins.  For those who watched the nightmare of her being repeatedly trampled, it’s amazing that she is relatively okay.  Bill is madder than hell, as he should be!

Link to newspaper story:  There are 25 pages of readers' comments.

"Police horse tramples Montrose resident at Pride parade"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6501652.html

Here's some of my response to the cops' testimony in the newspaper story:

I'm pretty angry about the whole thing.  Being an eye witness, besides the sheer horror of what Kirste went through, I have to say much of what the cops are quoted as saying in the paper is pure lies...

-the horses were NOT "moving slowly"

-they did NOT use whistles

-no one could hear the "verbal commands"

-there was no time to get out of the way

-people were NOT "pouring into the streets"

-Kirste was the only one "not obeying" ???  The fact is, the horses are HUGE, and they came so quickly, and moved so irradically, no one had a chance to get out of the way.  Several people were buffeted by the horses, and Kirste is the one who happened to be knocked down and then under the horse. 

-Once they knocked her down, the horses started moving in circles and backing up - classic "crowd control" maneuvers.  That's why she got stomped over and over again.

-The officers didn't even know they had knocked down and trampled a human being until the crowd started yelling at them to STOP!

-Furthermore, at least one of the horses was already in an agitated state, as early as 9:00pm - his police officer told me so when I walked over and he wouldn't let me pet it.

-They're using carefully chosen words to cover for one another.  IMO.

This is all horribly upsetting.  It was horrible to watch, and I can't imagine how terrifying it was for Kirste, watching hooves flail at her from underneath the animal.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Trampled by Police Horse at Last Night's Gay Pride Parade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »
Ugh. I've been stepped on by horses. It hurts. :(

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »
Ugh. I've been stepped on by horses. It hurts. :(

Even in a muddy padlock! What were they trying to prove? Or were they trying start a riot?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:52:48 AM »
It sounds like they are using the CYA rule. There was no need for horses if the crowd wasn't being unruly, I hope your friend gets well soon, this was uncalled for.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
In California the Lawyers would be licking their chops!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
Here's another take:

Let me preface my remarks with the following:  My son, whom I love is Gay.  I firmly believe that sexual orientation is beyond the control of the individual and for most is genetically determined.  I also believe that homosexuals deserve to be treated like everyone else.

BUT!  Each adult individual has the ultimate responsibility in any situation to look out for their own safety.  This means OBEY THE POLICE regardless of whatever emotions you are having (remember, they carry guns), and above all STAY OUT OF THE STREET!  IMHO while I am sorry your friend was injured, had she paid attention to her surroundings she would not have been.

I am so sick of there always being "someone else to blame" for the results of one' own actions.

Perhaps when you view the world from the perspective of an old fart like me your opinion will change.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:46 AM »
Many law enforcement departments have a policy of automatically activating their horse units if they expect a large group of people.  However, activating their horse unit does not mean they have to implement the use of their horse unit.  What many agencies will do is have their horse unit stand by where they are easily accessible and call upon them only if there is a need.  The actual use of the horse unit typically occurs during protests, especially where you may have two sides opposing each other on opposite sides of the street. 

The temperament of crowds gathered for a parade are usually quite different from those attending a protest.  Law enforcement is interested in public safety in both instances but with protest crowds the use of horses is meant to intimidate the people and keep them back.  Most city slickers are unfamiliar with horses and find them intimidating.  However with crowd control at a parade you will usually have barricades or personnel on foot or motorcycle who simply ask people to keep on the curb.  I'm not sure why they would actually use horses at a parade gathering that is peaceful. 

I hope your friend recovers quickly and hope the city offers to be responsible for medical expenses.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »
Um, was your friend in the street? When I attend parades, the police that are on motorcycles, bikes, in cars, or on horses are only in the street. They keep the street clear for the intended parade people. Having never been to a gay parade, I'm not sure if that parade is like the ones I have seen with floats and special cars etc. I suspect not. Or are there just people tramping everywhere and it's called a parade? If it's just mobs of people and no floats or special things to see, then I guess I wouldn't be there. I'm not sure what is accomplished (other than making the news or getting hurt) by large groups who are trying to show support to one thing or another, when they cram together like that.

And by the way, I also have close relativeS who are gay and love them very much. I also am convinced since watching them grow up, there is something beyond what I understand that makes them gay. Sad. But I wouldn't be at their parade if they had one.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
I was just on the 6:pm TV news, as an eye-witness to Kirste's mauling.  Unfortunately, the news focused on the bad injuries, and didn't even mention how the police were too close to the observers, how the horses were out of control (even before the parade started, one officer admitted his horse was skittish), how there were no whistles or warnings of the approaching horses, how the horse walked sideways and trampled her over and over, or how the cops simply didn't give a flip after they knocked her down.  The good part is that several other people are coming forward saying they were also hurt.  Hopefully policies will be changed.

Kirste's injuries are severe - several teeth knocked out, plastic surgery, knee and leg all banged up, emotional trauma.  It was horrible to watch - I can't imagine the memories playing through her head.

Johns, there were no barricades, there was no warning, and there was where to move - People WERE moving back, but it takes a while to get 3 or 4 rows of people to move.  The horses came quite quickly, and moved right into the crowd.  These people were not in the parade's path - they were on a side street that intersected the parade street.  The horses moved off the parade street and into the crowd.  A trained police horse accustomed to crowds and noise should not have moved sideways like that, and should not have stomped over and over again.

I don't have a problem with the horses being used at the parade.  I do have a problem with the way they were not in control, and especially with the attitude of the officers.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »
How awful.  I hope she recovers without too many long-lasting effects.

Um, was your friend in the street? When I attend parades, the police that are on motorcycles, bikes, in cars, or on horses are only in the street. They keep the street clear for the intended parade people. Having never been to a gay parade, I'm not sure if that parade is like the ones I have seen with floats and special cars etc. I suspect not. Or are there just people tramping everywhere and it's called a parade? If it's just mobs of people and no floats or special things to see, then I guess I wouldn't be there. I'm not sure what is accomplished (other than making the news or getting hurt) by large groups who are trying to show support to one thing or another, when they cram together like that.

Esther, have you never seen the news coverage of a Gay Pride Parade?  There are definitely things to see...   :D  Sure there are floats... but there are also some of the most 'done up' folks you can imagine.  I'm sure Cher was there many times over.  ;)  Imagine Mardi Gras and you come close to what the Gay Pride Parade is like.  Part of the fun is the interaction of the paraders with the paradees.   O0

And by the way, I also have close relativeS who are gay and love them very much. I also am convinced since watching them grow up, there is something beyond what I understand that makes them gay. Sad. But I wouldn't be at their parade if they had one.

IMO, what's sad is that people think being gay is sad.
Jim

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »
I have never been to a gay parade that wasn't VERY rowdy, lots of people in/on the street acting unruly.  :woot:
(and usually groups of obnoxious, hateful, SAD people protesting the parade)
I have seen mounted policeman at every gay parade I have been to. (I lived in NYC: Manhattan for 12+ years)
I believe mounted police are necessary at gay parades, and other parades such as the NYC Halloween Parade, & St. Patty's Day Parade. :o
There are so many people who hate gay people, look down at them, think they are 'sad', that the police need to be prepared for ANYthing during a gay/gay pride parade because of the hate factor. Therefore the need for mounted police.  (Mikey, in my experience, gay parades are NOT peaceful..at all!)
In all my years in NYC: at gay parades, halloween parades, St. Patty's Day Parade...even rock concerts at Madison Square Garden... NEVER seen a police horse trample anyone...unless there was a damn good reason. I am sure your friend wasn't the cause, but someone or group of people near her must have been unruly to cause such a disaster. Police horses don't act up over nothing.

Sorry that your friend was trampled. :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:23:08 PM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
An assault by a police officer on a bystander who is doing nothing wrong, and who is nothing more than a spectator, is inexcusable.  To do this using a horse even more so.  There just isn't any moral difference between a cop using a police car as a battering ram, and a cop using a horse for the same purpose... except that in Texas if you swatted a police-horse to make him get off your foot, you'd be arrested for assault on a police officer!  (Horses and dogs have "officer" status here... not kidding!).

Horses as a weapon have some very scary physics. Using my horse as an example:  1600 lb horse + 250 lb rider + 50 lbs of gear/tack/radios, etc = 1900 lbs.  Assume 50/50 weight distribution (not correct, but close enough) on 4 hooves.  That's 475 lbs per foot.  Now put that weight on a 1/2 inch wide by 13 inch long strip of metal (horseshoe) and you've got 75 lbs per sq/in.  It only takes about half of that to take a few toes cleanly-off.

Now compare this to getting run-over by a tire on a police cruiser. Figure a 3200 lb vehicle + qty 2 humans @ 250 lbs/ea = 3700 lbs.  Divide this by 4 wheels = 925 lbs/wheel.  Assume a rolling contact patch of 28 sq/in per wheel = 33 lbs per sq/in. (Same as the inflation pressure. duh! hehehehe).

Me?  I'd prefer getting a toe or two caught under the wheels of a police cruise LONG before getting stepped-on by even a very small horse. Factor-in that a cruiser is a basically a vertically-static, rolling load, so you'd never get the full force.  It doesn't have any vertical velocity component, as opposed to a horse-hoof which has LOTS.  If the horse was trying to stomp you, you could easily double the numbers.  It's some SCARY physics if you're under that hoof when it comes down.

Maybe the guys doing crowd control just haven't run the numbers to fully understand the forces they are controlling. g.  So ya want my tongue-in-cheek advice?  Buy a horse and plan a midnight run through a donut shop.  Nothing teaches physics like a good demonstration. Because we all know horses love donuts. :)  (((ducking!)))

Hope your friend recovers quickly.  If the media got it on tape, get copies before it "disappears".  She'll thank you later. :)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:34:01 AM »
Yes, I think what gay people have to endure is sad. The same as any other person having to endure something that is difficult and they didn't choose.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:07 AM »
Besides being a show of pride on the part of the gays, the parade serves as a show of support from the community.  Therefor, you have floats and participation from all sorts of groups.  Some of them are aimed at the gay community, like the Metropolitan Community Church, which is largly gay membership, or the group for middle-aged lesbians (I forget the name).  Then there are entities that are "gay-friendly," meaning that no one gives a diddly flip of one's sexual orientation; they love to do business with anyone and everyone and gays are welcome.

Among those participating were:

churches
politicians
businesses
charities
social services
health services
bands/choirs
clubs (Montrose Motorcycle Club, for one)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
Julles,
I'm sorry about your friend getting trampled.  I certainly hope the city makes "right" on this.  Sounds like the horse/rider were spooked or inexperienced or shouldn't have been there at all. 

I think it really strange that I/we here in the Midwest have heard nothing of this incident at all.  But given all the Hollywood deaths in the past week, the media is enjoying themselves acting grief-stricken to pull in more dollars.  When I turn on the TV to see the news, I'd really like to see SOME NEWS.   >:( 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »
Here's a link to the latest TV news spot: 

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6897598

There are also two newspaper stories, if they're still up on the 'net, at www.chron.com and then do a search on "Reimers." 

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
Julles, in today's "video everywhere" world it's extremely unlikely that the incident wasn't captured by one or more VCRs, DVRs, cell phones, etc., and from one or more angles.  You might try asking the media to open a site where citizens could download what they recorded.  It might help your friend establish liability, and to get some relief from the medical expenses.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Julles, in today's "video everywhere" world it's extremely unlikely that the incident wasn't captured by one or more VCRs, DVRs, cell phones, etc., and from one or more angles.  You might try asking the media to open a site where citizens could download what they recorded.  It might help your friend establish liability, and to get some relief from the medical expenses.
definitely, somebody has it on video. Hope your friend heals quickly.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
Yes, many people have come forward offering photos and film footage of what happened - at least, they started shooting after they realized what was going on.  The clip you saw on the link came from a by stander.

The float that had just passed right before this happened, the one we were all looking east to see (why we didn't see the horses coming from the west) happened to be a float full of lawyers, and the ones on the back of the float saw the entire thing.  Kirste's husband received a nice letter from them, stating what they saw, and offering help and support.

I'll pass along the idea of having a site where people can post info and video.  Thanks for all your help and comments.

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
I hope your friend will be okay. A lot of police are just above the law and it's wrong....
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I hope your friend recovers soon.

To say that these officers were acting above the law is crazy. I can see that if something got out of control...i.e. a pistol fell from the hand of an officer when being attacked and someone was shot. The gas pedal got stuck and someone was struck. A horse lurched and turned around on someones face before being restrained. Thats not police ignorance, brutality or trying to be above the law.

I agree with Joyce that all GAY parades or protests or walks should and do have greater than normal protection and police surveilence. Many people hate gays and terrorists activities fromthe most unlikely suspects will and do happen at these events.

I find it hard to believe an officer would purposely attack and trample anyone. I do feel it was wrong place wrong time and a bad circumstance. I know you said people were yelling for the officer to stop the horse. I the horse lurched turned around then turned around again after the officer got control, this is not police brutality or living above the law.

I can see this is going to turn into a fight. I hope she is taken care of but I hope this doesn't turn into Mc Donalds coffee is hot. Honestly when in a crowd you should not think you are safe because you simply cannot see behind you because of the amount of people or hear anything because of the parade noise. This is when you should be at you most alert.

Again I hope your friend recovers soon.

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »
How can it not be above the law when many witnesses saw something different and the cops said something else to protect themselves?

Not all cops are the same. Maybe the cops in your area are different from the ones in my area. A lot of the cops around here speed unnecessarily, turn on their loud ringers when they don't want to stop for a red light, and act above the law.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:30:24 PM by sooks »
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 06:27:08 AM »
Oh, there's no doubt it was an accident.  A very tragic accident.

Part of the problem is the PD's lack of taking responsability for what happened.  Even though he did not intentionally put his horse on top of the woman, it is a fact that the horse knocked her down and trampled her.  But the PD has put out an oddly detailed story about how my friend "was 7' out in front of the crowd," and "refused to move back," and how she supposedly fell on her own, then tried to stand up but hit the underbelly of the horse and fell down again, which spooked the horse and that's why he trampled her.   

All that is bull, and dozens of witnesses attest to what REALLY happened, which is that the officers were riding the horses too close to the crowd, the horses got out of control and walked sideways into the crowd and one knocked Kirste down and trampled her.   

What happened is a tragic accident.  The cops' attitude is infuriating.

Thank you all for your concerns and good wishes.  Kirste has had several visits to the dentist / surgeon.  She has temporary teeth now, and her husband says she looks "fantastic."  Pretty soon, she will start on a series of surgeries, to get permant replacement teeth, and fix her jaw, etc.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"