Author Topic: How to glue liner to filter box???  (Read 1290 times)

Offline lindaky

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How to glue liner to filter box???
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:21:22 AM »
I finally got rid of my preformed waterfall and made a real one. I have a black plastic filter box and can't make the pond liner stick to it. What kind of glue can I use that will stick and not harm the liner? I used glue to repair tires to stick the liner together and it worked fine for the liner but not for the plastic box. I sealed the edges with silicone but it started leaking afte a couple weeks. Thanks for any info.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: How to glue liner to filter box???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
Dont use glue.  Bolt the liner to the box with gaskets and stainless steel bolts, similar to how one would install a bottom drain or a skimmer in a lined pond. Send us pictures of what you are trying to do.

Offline lindaky

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
Thanks for replying! Here are some pix. Please excuse the mess. I left everything unfinished and let it run a while just in case. Glad I did. Now I'm going to have to start over because the water running under the liner washed away some dirt and changed the flow. I have more liner if I need a bigger piece. I was just trying to use that small piece to be conservative. I'm glad to take any advice so please don't be nice if I have totally screwed up. :D

All that silicone is my dh's attempt at fixing it because I had foot surgery the same day it starting leaking. At least he tried. ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:37:49 PM by lindaky »

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
I’ve tried to Google the manual for your FiltoFall but it appears Oase no longer makes it. I have seen a picture… there is a gray plastic weir that attaches. I’m betting the liner is meant to come up the outside and make a 90 degree turn away from the box and clamp to the underneath of that gray weir. In any case, the liner does not go inside the box.

I am not a fan of silicone. I swear by PL Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant. It’s black, fish safe, cheap and easier to apply than silicone. I would use this around the clamp and screws that came with the filter.  Neither PL nor any sealant will attach EPDM to itself or the filter box without the support of the clamp, though. EPDM -- and water -- are heavy.

Offline lindaky

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:13 AM »
Thanks. I don't want to use the gray tray anymore. I'm ready for a real waterfall. I disliked the plastic weir from day one. What kind and size of clamps and screws should I use? The weir just snapped on, didn't have any clamps or screws. Should I use some big washers with the screws to protect the liner from tearing? I can drill some holes in the filter box. Thank you so much for the info.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:27:26 AM »
It would really help us to help you if you could dig up the manual that came with it. (Granted, pond product manuals are the most poorly written of any product you can buy on this planet if they even come with one.) When we all talk about clamps we're usually referring to a strip of hard plastic the width of the waterfall weir that sandwiches the liner between it and the weir, then bolts through predrilled holes in both strip and 'box' and/or weir. As for the weir that came with it, you could disguise it with rocks and/or paint it black.You really don't want to spend every few weeks taking this apart to find the leaks, nor do you want to have to refill your pond every morning b/c of that.

Without a plate, the ony remedy I can think of is to use a single piece of liner to line the ENTIRE box, then have it drape down your rocky spillway. (However I strongly recommend a bottom drain in that box or if fed from a skimmer line, a drain to waste at the low point there so you can clean everything out. As the falls box gets clogged with poo, your falls will dwindle.)

Offline lindaky

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:23:40 AM »
My pond is a 800 gl. goldie pond. I have filter pads under the lava rocks that I clean every week. I then use a shop vac and suck out the remaining gunk from the bottom of the box. I keep plants on top of the lava rock too.There is no manual. Just a piece of paper with diagrams that shows how to hook the hose from the pump and snap the weir on. the front of the box is not smooth. It has places for the weir to snap on. I think I will try to grind them off and drill some holes and attach the liner that way with the glue you mentioned and some stainless clamps. The weir sticks straight out about a foot. There is no way to disguise it and make a water fall look decent. Think this will work? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

Here are a few more pix to show what I'm working with.

This shows how the weir looked when attached. It stuck staight out. Ulgy!!

Offline ThornyGardener

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »
Yeah it's ugly. Didn't want to say so before.

First take a look at how it should be. The liner is attached under the lip so the water passes over and away from the liner opening.

You are lip-less, so you need to create a way to protect the open part of the liner. Here is what I would do. Not saying it is the only way, just saying it is an option.

1. lay the pond's liner (shown in green) on the spillway area, bunch it up a bit to allow for settling and then glue that baby to the front of the box under the scallop and across the front. (I'd use PL black Roofing sealant.) No bolts, clamps, plates, etc. You are not gluing for waterproof sealing, merely to sorta keep it up for the next step.

2. Completely line the box with another piece of liner (shown in red) and drape it over the other piece about 1-2', then pile on your rocks. Water should not climb 'uphill' between the two liner pieces.

3. I'm guessing the inlet is at the bottom side of the box, correct? You will need to cut a hole in the liner in the box to allow for the inlet. Clean and dry liner and box thoroughly, then run a thin circle of sealant between bulkhead and liner and between liner and box. Then tighten down the bulkhead.

And there is my best idea for keeping the water flowing out and not down between the liner and the box (ie LEAKING).

Good luck!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"