Author Topic: Greetings all, new to the board.  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Greetings all, new to the board.
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
I have spent a great deal of time on this board in recent weeks, and learned much. I have posted some pix of my pond in the photo gallery as well. I really have enjoyed looking at everyone's ponds, lilies, etc. over the last few weeks. I'm in Florida, and started with a pond 7 years ago, and have redone it 6 times. This time it's different, but I will let you read it in the gallery, so I don't end up sounding redundant.  ;)

I am not an 'expert' in most things pond related, but I have had a lot of different experiences with them, both good and bad.

It's nice to be here.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:21:27 PM by Lynne22 »

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings all, new to the board.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
oooo exciting! new meat! lol jk. jk. awesome to have you!!

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:34:41 PM »
oooo exciting! new meat! lol jk. jk. awesome to have you!!

LOL, I can relate. I think I've seen EVERY pond on the internet now.  ;) I just love looking at pond pix. Love it. o(:-)

Thanks for the funny welcome!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »
Glad you are here.  here is mine.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Glad you are here.  here is mine.

Awe....I love the turtle. Thanks for the welcome!

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
Welcome Lynne  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Have fun here and post questions and give us any good ideas you may have come across from all your pondering  ;D  My little pond here in Washington state. Janice

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
Hi Lynne. 7 years sounds pretty experienced to me. That would give you plenty of time to make all the mistakes there is in pondland and figure out how to fix them. LOL.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
Hi Lynne, welcome to AP. I'm in Morriston, FL.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
Welcome, Lynne.  Your pond is lovely.

Say, you've introduced me to a whole new forum on this board... I have not previously visited the Photo section, but now, well, I hold YOU responsible for all the more time I'm going to spend on this computer each day, now looking at photos, in addition to the other forums I visit.  There are even different people on Photos, so more people for me to get to know!

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments all.

jw; Love your pond! nice plants as well.

Ester,  LOL, yes, I have made all of the mistakes, hopefully, the will be few and far between going forward.  ;D

Hi pondmaninFl; I'll have to look up your area, not sure where that is....thanks for the welcome.

Julles, there are many forums here I have not even gotten around to reading. I'm looking forward to it though.

I thought maybe I should post a couple of pix of the whole patio, so you all can see where I have my coffee each morning. Although, it has been raining so much here as of late, that I haven't been able to spend much time out there. I miss it!!

Here is a pic looking out my front door(just noticed my coffee cup is on the table, LOL);

And looking from the gate towards the house;

I actually bought this house for the patio. I have read so many threads about heron's and other animals attacking fish/ponds/plants and I totally feel for the people. I am very lucky I don't have those problems.

As far as the stone around the pond goes, I had plenty of practice placing/matching up various shapes, as I laid, and grouted, all of that cracked tile you see on the patio floor. 600 sq. ft to be exact.  :D It took me a year to finish it, but it was well worth it. I wanted something no one else would have. I took a 'summer break' because it was just too hot to be out there last summer. Couldn't get back to it during the holidays. But in Jan this year, I started back in, and finished it a year later to the day I started it. It was literally, a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Cut up hands, fingers, back pain for the entire time, etc., and at times I cried because I was in so much pain.

Overall; note to self; anal people should never take on projects that are meant to NOT be perfect.  ;) But I really am happy with it, and it was all worth it.  It's a really relaxing patio, and as you can see, I also love plants!!

Oh, and the clear hoses running across the patio, by the pots, are drain hoses from the pots/saucers, so that the iron/rust doesn't get on the tile/grout. Like I said; anal. ;D It took me a long time to come up with that solution.....I don't love it, but it works, and I hardly notice them anymore, but people always ask what they are. 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
Oh my!  I LOVE that patio!  I can see why you spend so much time out there.  The floor is exceptionally well done.  Guess anal pays off.   ;D

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »
What a lovely job you did on your patio  O0. It's just gorgeous  ;D. Wonderful place to sit and drink your coffee and chat w/ friends  :)
I am sooooooooooo envious of your palms. They are beautiful. I love palms and the only ones I can grow are the Chinese Windmill Palms. I have 3 little ones growing out by the pond. You can't see them in a picture yet but someday I hope they will get bigger. I have 27 palm seeds sprouting out in my green house but I picked them off the ground one year when we were in Nevada and they will never make it here outside sooooooooooooo now what the heck am I gonna do with 27 tropical palms? I already drag a Mexican Fan Palm in and out of the garage all winter (got too big for the green house) and I really can't see myself dragging 27 others in there also  :o

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
What a lovely job you did on your patio  O0. It's just gorgeous  ;D. Wonderful place to sit and drink your coffee and chat w/ friends  :)
I am sooooooooooo envious of your palms. They are beautiful. I love palms and the only ones I can grow are the Chinese Windmill Palms. I have 3 little ones growing out by the pond. You can't see them in a picture yet but someday I hope they will get bigger. I have 27 palm seeds sprouting out in my green house but I picked them off the ground one year when we were in Nevada and they will never make it here outside sooooooooooooo now what the heck am I gonna do with 27 tropical palms? I already drag a Mexican Fan Palm in and out of the garage all winter (got too big for the green house) and I really can't see myself dragging 27 others in there also  :o

Hi jw,

I have had all of the palms since they were in 8" pots. They have been with me for years, as have most of the plants on the patio. Heck, half of the U-Haul I rented to move was packed with my plants when I moved here! The Majesty Palms(closer to the house, and at the ends) are in as large of pots as I can find. Not sure what I will do about them when I have to replant. Might have to make my own planters, because I will NOT part with my palms.  :) I keep them trimmed, but they were repotted again last year, and it was tight on the largest pots I could find. For some reason, I have this aversion to putting them in the ground. In fact, I have very few of my plants in the ground. Guess it's just they gypsy in me. I want to be able to take them if I leave.  O0

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
Hi Lynne, and A BIG WELCOME:)
I just love your patio too! All of the blood,sweat, and tears, paid off big time :) Everything is just wonderful @O@ I looked at your pictures again and did not see any fur kids?? Have you none? That must be another reason you had the time to make everything beautiful  O0

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Hi Lynne, and A BIG WELCOME:)
I just love your patio too! All of the blood,sweat, and tears, paid off big time :) Everything is just wonderful @O@ I looked at your pictures again and did not see any fur kids?? Have you none? That must be another reason you had the time to make everything beautiful  O0

Oh, I have 'kids', LOL, just not the kind you'd expect. I just sit back and let them amuse me. No care involved. @O@

I have a 'family' of green anoles. They are somewhat rare here, and I am very attached to them. Mr. Lizzy moved in about a year ago, and shortly after, Mrs. Lizzy came on to the scene. They, to my amazement, have been 'shacking up', together since then. LOL! Where she is, he is as well. Who knew they 'paired'. This year, they decided to have a few kids, and I think there are more on the way. ;) There is a hole in the screen that they come and go by, which will now never be fixed.  ;) They go in and out during the day, but they always come home before dark, LOL.  Their 'territory' is the bamboo fence, and the umbrella palm behind the pond. Mr. Lizzy patrols it constantly.

Here's a pic of them;

This baby is about a week old now. 1.75" long, including the tail!

But, I also have a patio full of adorable brown anoles, and most of them are small, so they are even more entertaining. They are all so use to me that they don't even run when I walk out there. I have to tell them to move out of the way when I am doing things. LOL. People who have not lived where lizards are abundant don't realize what they are really like. They all have their own personalities, and lives. They are very fascinating to watch.  Since I spend so much time out there, I know all of them, and where their 'territory' is. If there are big males that somehow make it onto the patio, unless they behave, and not pick on the small ones, they get booted out the door.  {nono} One of the oldest large males, who always behaved himself, started to get sick a couple of months ago. He started to have 'skin' issues, and I knew something was wrong. About a week ago, he collapsed right by my chair, and it was very sad, as there was nothing I could do for him. He died about 2 hours later.

I know it seems weird, but it's impossible for me to be near any living thing, for any length of time, without getting attached. Even lizards. They do some pretty funny stuff. I have LOL'd many times with them. I guess it's kind of like how people feel about the frogs that visit their ponds. I have frogs as well, but not always the 'good' kind...

Aside from those 'accidential pets', I have a Hahns McCaw, who I've had for 8 years. I have no 'human kids', so I've always had time to be a putzer. ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:58:29 PM by Lynne22 »

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
I love the Lizzie family!  Your pond is beautiful as is your terrace, really well done.  We are starting to get some geckos in the house and I'm thrilled.  They are an important part of any tropical house as they eat the small bugs and mosquitoes that get inside.  They click and we click back at them, it sounds crazy talking to lizards but we do it. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
Welcome Lynne!  Love your screened patio.  It's so neat and clean, unlike the inside of my house.  Maybe that's why I stay outside.  :thinking:

You've given me ideas for the screened framing....

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »
Welcome Lynne!  Love your screened patio.  It's so neat and clean, unlike the inside of my house.  Maybe that's why I stay outside.  :thinking:

You've given me ideas for the screened framing....

LOL, most of the time, my patio is cleaner than the inside of my house. Not to say that my house is dirty, but I don't spend as much time cleaning it, as I do the patio.  ;)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 07:54:40 PM »
Morriston is not to far from Ocala or Gainesville. It's out in horse country.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
Welcome Lynne...I love your Anoles...I once had a pair of them..of course living in Oklahoma they were kept in an aquarium most of the time...my female got out once for 3 months untill we found her sitting on one of my picture frames...really neat creatures...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »
Welcome to our forum.  You have a heavenly patio.  Wish I can spend some time there.  I'll be going to the gallery section to see your pond once I post this.  Like all other members, I love pictures, especially picture with ponds and their surrounding areas.  7 years into ponding with 6 changes, you sure have a lot of ponding experience under your belt!!  It is true that ponding is a never ending hobby.

Love your lizards too.  I grew up in the tropical country so I saw lots of them.  They don't show up here in the Midwest because I think it is too cold for them.  Sorry to hear that your large male lizard died.  You are right that we do get attached to our animals.

Kuan

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Oh Lynne I love the lizards also. I had several in an aquarium several yrs ago but to have them running free in my home in a nice warm tropical climate would be wonderful  :D. I too am an animal lover and I get attached to everything from spiders to well almost anything. I can't bear to see them suffer and I must take care of any that come my way for help. I think we are just born w/ it in our blood as I wasn't taught to be like that it just happened. I think it's a good thing to have O0.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
I love the Lizzie family!  Your pond is beautiful as is your terrace, really well done.  We are starting to get some geckos in the house and I'm thrilled.  They are an important part of any tropical house as they eat the small bugs and mosquitoes that get inside.  They click and we click back at them, it sounds crazy talking to lizards but we do it. 

Hi Jonna, I have a few geckos, but they only come out at night here. I never knew they made any sound...I will have to pay attention to them more....thanks for the nice comments.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
Tweetybaby2005 & Tranquility,

Thanks for the compliments!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
Your patio is gorgeous. Love the floor, you did an excellent job.  O0  Jealous of the palms, Arecas and Majestys don't grow even close to that nice here as houseplants unless they are full time in a greenhouse.

Jealous of the anoles. I've kept them many times in terrariums but they aren't so easy to keep alive, and I gave up years ago. Having them wild like that would be wonderful. I LOVE lizards, grew up in Arizona with fence lizards, know they can have a lot of personality. I enjoy my native treefrogs but think anoles and geckos would be better. DH won't move though.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
Lovely patio, I think I would be drinking coffee all day. :)

Your pics of the anoles brings back memories of when our boys were young and we visited my in-laws in Florida.
The boys loved those little guys.  One spring when my in-laws came home from a winter down south, they found an anole in their truck.  Mother-in-law put it in an aquarium and planned on taking care of it until they returned in the fall.  The little gal layed eggs and she had an entire family to return that fall.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
Lovely patio, I think I would be drinking coffee all day. :)

Your pics of the anoles brings back memories of when our boys were young and we visited my in-laws in Florida.
The boys loved those little guys.  One spring when my in-laws came home from a winter down south, they found an anole in their truck.  Mother-in-law put it in an aquarium and planned on taking care of it until they returned in the fall.  The little gal layed eggs and she had an entire family to return that fall.

Hi Karen, and thanks! It's 90-something today, LOL, no coffee this morning. Just iced tea! it's tooooo hot....but it was a dry day. So far anyway.  :)

By the way, my sister lives in Indiana. Indianapolis to be specific.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »
Hi Lynne!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your patio!!!  It is so inviting and wonderful!  I cannot believe that you layed that floor yourself - I am in total AWE! 8-)~  It is absolutely beautiful - you have every right to be proud!  I love that it's all enclosed, yet so airy looking.  I would be out there all the time if I lived there. o(:-)

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Thanks Lynne, I am out there most all of the time. I work from home, so it's great being able to work in my PJ's too.  @O@ Heck, some days, I never even get dressed, if I'm inside all day.  O0 During the summer though, I will change clothes several times a day if I'm out on the patio for long. Too hot!!! Today was really hot.

I had to rethink my new container garden, because the water was like bath water by 3:00 today.  So it's been moved to a more shady spot, but now I worry that the lily won't do well there....always something.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
Welcome Lynne, great looking patio. How did you lay the grout? I've heard that you can use one of those cookie dough squeeze things but how did you do it? I'm going to be using it soon.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"