Author Topic: wart like bumps on Wakin????  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
wart like bumps on Wakin????
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:09:32 AM »
Some of you may remember the ponds I made in California a few years ago, they have Wakin in them.  I got a call that some of the Wakin, not all, have small wart like bumps on their backs and sides.  She is really incapable of taking pictures, I tried to talk her into it and then she admitted that all the pictures from her vacation 2 years ago are still on the camera cuz she doesn't know how to get them off.   :P   

So, anyone have any ideas what this is without any more description or pictures?  I'm at a loss. 

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: wart like bumps on Wakin????
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »
sorry I don't know..but wish I did as I have one wakin with what sounds like the same thing.  Not discolored..just a bump that shouldn't be there..wart/pimple...??
Mary

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
post a pic
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
I have a wakin that has many bumps, some large some small, all over her body.  She still is the fastest and biggest fish I have.  I heard that they are the result of over breeding.  As long as the bumps don't obstruct the gills the fish should be fine.  Ugly but fine.

Here's a photo of Christopher Walkin (named before we knew he was a she, the fish that is).  The bumps are soft, many sizes, all over, but none covering her gill plates.  She has had many spawns and is most popular with the guys.  Other than that she is very healthy, in appearance.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »
That's great news Annette. I'm sending those pics to my friend tonight.  I hope that is all it is, a little overbreeding we can handle  ;)

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
From my understanding, though the bumps are a flaw, they aren't harmful unless they obstruct the gills, etc as noted by others.
That said, I do remember seeing a posting on a koi site where they removed these.  It seemed to go well, but not for the squeamish or general hobbyist.  I do have a few wakin with the growths, am a nurse and would not be afraid to attempt removing the spots, but why bother if they are not a problem for the fish?  Also risk losing them to infection or the general trauma.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
They are not from overbreeding. The best theory I have heard is that they are from early bacterial infection or dirty tanks. There was a person in Canada who tried some new water treatment from Japan and it got rid of the bumps without surgery.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
Kewl Tracey. Anyone have any idea what the water treatmetn was? 

I have long thought that these bumps were like a callous or scar from an injury when the fish was very small.  All of the ones in my pond are on wakin, and the bumps have been very stable.  They don't appear to change, but remain the same size, shape, etc.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
This is the only place I know of that carries it that I know of and I am not sure they can ship to the US. I would like to order a case to carry on my website myself. It is the "You-Mei-Gen - KOI Miracle Animal"
http://www.canadiankoiandpond.ca/

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"