Author Topic: I'm going on a cruise!  (Read 3818 times)

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I'm going on a cruise!
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
We don't have a lot of money and never take vacations.  DH and I saved money for a year to go on a cruise w/our kids, who are 18 and 21.  I can't wait! @O@

We got a great deal and will be going down to Mexico.  It was actually cheaper to rent a car and drive to New Orleans than leave out of Galvestion (which is a lot closer).

I've never been on a cruise and would like to hear from you guys who have.  Any tips or tricks would be great!

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going on a cruise!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
Good for you!! You will love it. Be prepared for LOTS of food...all great food too. I can't really think of anything to tell you to do or not do. We took a couple of the off-ship tours and were glad we did. Our kids are 26 and 20 and we've been thinking of all 4 of us going on one too. Which cruise line are you using?
Have a blast!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
We don't have a lot of money and never take vacations.  DH and I saved money for a year to go on a cruise w/our kids, who are 18 and 21.  I can't wait! @O@

We got a great deal and will be going down to Mexico.  It was actually cheaper to rent a car and drive to New Orleans than leave out of Galvestion (which is a lot closer).

I've never been on a cruise and would like to hear from you guys who have.  Any tips or tricks would be great!

Brenda

Congrats! How many days, what cruiseline? I've been on many, but mostly I am an RCI cruiser. I have been on a Holland America cruise, 10 days, but that was well before Carnival bought them. I'll have plenty of tips for you, when I know how many days!  :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »
loved all of mine.... Always take to much clothes.  I never do the ship tours.. to expensive and have always been able to find good taxi's, tours when you hit the dock.  Royal carribean cruiser here.. wouldnd want to try another cruise line.  Also you can go to cruise crittics.com and from there is a link to each cruise leaving and all the people signed up for the cruises.  Then you can go to the indicudual cruise your taking and meet and chat with people going.  I learned more that way about what to see when I get there, how to go about doing it and then they had a nice greet and meet  on the ship which I  really enjoyed. 

Like lynn said alot depends on what cruise line, some still do sti down eating formal dinners, our had two formals with dress. Some cruise lines have gotten away form the early and late dinner seatings.  Not sure if yours is eastern or western carribean, but everyone should do the eastern once in their lifetime, I dont think theres any comparison.   St John, US virgin Islands and St Marteen are undescribable.   Here is the link to some of the pictures from my cruise just to get you drewling before ya go.   http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4562.0

tink
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:24:27 PM by tinkster »

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
good for you all.i am going on thanksgiving to mexico with the work mates..can't wait.its my second...first was bahamas...they are so cheap now,i love it...have fun... lorraine
lorraine

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »
 :D Have fun! and most important be safe! OH and if you use your cell phones there are extra charges. 
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
You're all going to have so much fun!!!   @O@  

If you're going soon know that it will be very hot.  Make sure to bring lots of sunblock and hats.  Water bottles are sold on the ship for mucho bucks - I bring my own - for when you visit port cities.  Stretchy pants... lol lol lol  Small bills for buying souvenirs - vendors will accept American $ but you must bargain for everything.  O0  

Do you know if you are susceptible to seasickness?  If someone is...the ship should have medicine available but if you start the pill or patch before you get on the ship you'll feel better.

Most of all be prepared for too much FUN!!  Enjoy!  Enjoy!  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Offline water_sprite

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
We're going on a 5 night cruise on Carnival Fantasy, stopping in Cozumel and Progreso, Mexico.  Leaving Aug. 17.  I know it'll be hot, but can't be any hotter than here.  Today was 104! :P

I have heard about the great food, figure I'll have to go on a strict diet when I get back! :D

We did get a great deal, $440.00 a person,  2 oceanview cabins.  And that includes tax.

We're still deciding on what excursions to take.  Would love to snorkel and see some of the Mayan ruins.

With both kids in college this fall, we might even take another one, just me and DH!

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

here is a great link to carnaval cruises.. Soon as you register with a nickname, it will take you to each specific cruise.  you will learn tons from people that have done the same cruise etc.  Hope you have a great time!

tink

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »
loved all of mine.... Always take to much clothes.  I never do the ship tours.. to expensive and have always been able to find good taxi's, tours when you hit the dock.  Royal carribean cruiser here.. wouldnd want to try another cruise line.  Also you can go to cruise crittics.com and from there is a link to each cruise leaving and all the people signed up for the cruises.  Then you can go to the indicudual cruise your taking and meet and chat with people going.  I learned more that way about what to see when I get there, how to go about doing it and then they had a nice greet and meet  on the ship which I  really enjoyed. 

Like lynn said alot depends on what cruise line, some still do sti down eating formal dinners, our had two formals with dress. Some cruise lines have gotten away form the early and late dinner seatings.  Not sure if yours is eastern or western carribean, but everyone should do the eastern once in their lifetime, I dont think theres any comparison.   St John, US virgin Islands and St Marteen are undescribable.   Here is the link to some of the pictures from my cruise just to get you drewling before ya go.   http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4562.0

tink

LoL, I was going to mention CC as well. I never really posted there, but it's a great resource. I'm an eastern cruiser as well. St. Marteen is my fav! Maho Beach!! Love, love it. I had to spend HOURS  {:-P;; at the Sunset Beach Bar just to get a pic of the planes landing. I'm not sure if they ever changed the runway or not, but they were talking about it. For those who don't know what Maho Beach is, here are a couple of pix;

This is the surfboard at the bar, which tells you when planes will be landing. Even with the times posted, they can be early, or late, and they come in so fast, you don't even have time to turn the camera on. Several times I was talking and didn't see them coming, and totally missed the planes. ;D

This is just a small comuter plane, that I happened to be ready for....

And this, this is the one that I said; we can go now, I've seen what I came to see. Too cool!

Crap. Now I'm ready to go again!  lol

P.S. Tink, my favorite RCI ship is the Navigator. I've been on it several times. Prettiest ship in the water if you ask me. I'm not into ships the size of Freedom of the Seas. Too big, too many people, too many kids, LOL.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:52:15 PM by Lynne22 »

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Have fun!

I wouldn't book your excursions until you get on board.  Then I would only do ones that are absolutely a cruise ship option only.  Like someone else said, you can get them for much cheaper finding your own tour groups. 

Something we did when we went which was great, was taking a behind the door shoe holder (you know the clear plastic ones?) for all our toiletries.  There is NO counter space in the bathrooms on a ship. 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
Lay out your clothes and money on the bed.  Remove half the clothes.  Then double the money.

It is a great trip and a great price. have fun.  There is a gym on the ship, do fight the pounds as you go.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 07:01:55 PM »
Lay out your clothes and money on the bed.  Remove half the clothes.  Then double the money.

lol Funny, but true.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »
lol lynn.  That is not my picture of the plane.. IT was one off a post card, I was much to engrossed in having fun to ever catch one. But I was sittign here thinking the same thing.. I am ready to cruise again.  A bunch of us may be going again in october.  We seem to get really good deals from RCI then.  Am sure we are flirting with diasters in the height of hurricane season but so far so good.. last year we did have to take a detour from their private island in the bahamas to san juan puerto rico, very ugly port/part of town but right by the rum factory complete with tour and samples.  so not so bad.

We departed out of canaveral and was on mariner of the seas.  One BIG ship for sure but I loved the atmosphere.  IT was so happy/party yet not overdone.  But then we did go in october, kids are in school.  They have since moved the mariner around the horn and the freedom came up from miami so if we go this year it will be on that one which I am kind of unsure of, its bigger than the mariner.

My first cruise was the disney cruise.  Wonderful in its time when my daughter was younger.    Where do you usually depart from?

tink

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
Tink, I don't think hurricane season will be bad this year. It's been very quiet in the tropics so far. Quiter than it would be normally for this point in the season, so I think you'd be good to go.

I usually leave out of Miami, or Ft. Lauderdale. The Mariner is identical to the Navigator, except the decor. I did book a cruise on the Jewel for my 50th, but something came up and I had to cancel. I really was upset, because that's a beautiful ship, but slightly smaller than the Navigator. When they moved the Navigator to Europe is when I stopped cruising. I was so upset. But I know it's back here on occasion, doing short cruises, and mostly to the western, which I'm not really into. I think I also heard that they were moving-or thinking of moving it to CA?  I have been on the Enchantment a couple of times also.

The Enchantment was OK, and I was last on her right after she got back from the stretch. The whole ship looked great, since it was a couple of weeks after it got back to the states. However,  I always get a Jr. Suite, and I was disappointed that they were still outdated.

I'd book the Jewel again, for sure, but with the business I'm in now, it's really hard for me to plan anything. I have a client in South Africa, and they never give me a heads up when they are ready to do business, it's just WHAM- there it is, and I can not refuse it. It's big business. Usually I'm safe to cruise the first to mid part of the year though, but this has been a down year, so I am watching my money. (watching it go down the drain, LOL)

My Holland America cruise, was probably 20 years ago. Maybe longer. It was 10 days, with ports; Curacao, Grenada, Martinique, Caracas Venezuela, St Marteen, St. Thomas, Freeport. That was a blast. I never wanted to leave the ship! I was ready for the world cruise. lol

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 05:09:26 PM »
We went on a 7 day Norwegian Caribbean cruise about 10 years ago. I loved the food and the dress up atmosphere for dinner. DH didn't appreciate the cruise at all. Mostly because of the dress up for dinner.  Luckily we were with 4 relatives so it took a lot of pressure off seeing they all had cruised several times before. So we just let them decide and tagged along. Good thinking about the clothes and money Jerry. LOL. OH YES< about the sea sickness!!!! I didn't know I got seasick but I did. So get a patch or start taking the meds before you leave, just in case. I lost about half a day feeling bad until my brother in law figured it out and got some Dramamine to me. I was fine after that. One thing I was surprised about and that was to find a little safe in the room for valuables.

Go ahead and eat what you want. Worry about it later or diet before you go knowing you'll gain some. I am fat already and still only gained a couple of pounds. I can do that at home easily in a couple of days.

Yes, the bathrooms are tiny. Can hardly turn around in them and two people can't be in there together unless one is in the shower. LOL.

I would love to cruise again and again if I could but it just ain't gonna happen unless I come into a lot of dough somehow.

Hope you have a good, safe trip. Take advantage of anything they offer. Another thing, take a larger piece of luggage than necessary so you can bring things back. I found a beautiful crocheted tablecloth and ended up putting it in the dress bag and cramming the dress in the luggage
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:16:33 PM by Esther »

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
We're going on a 5 night cruise on Carnival Fantasy, stopping in Cozumel and Progreso, Mexico.  Leaving Aug. 17.  I know it'll be hot, but can't be any hotter than here.  Today was 104! :P

I have heard about the great food, figure I'll have to go on a strict diet when I get back! :D

We did get a great deal, $440.00 a person,  2 oceanview cabins.  And that includes tax.

We're still deciding on what excursions to take.  Would love to snorkel and see some of the Mayan ruins.

With both kids in college this fall, we might even take another one, just me and DH!

A couple of things I thought of;

1. Tie something flashy to your luggage. When you're at the port, or if you decide to collect your luggage while it's still in the hallway, you'll be able to spot it better. I used bath puffs, you know, the net scrunchy things. Get colors that are unique, because everyone uses red-white-purple, etc.

2. Take some insect repellant. You'll be glad you did, especially when you're in port.

3. Get the HUGE ziploc bags.( 2 gallon size, I think) I think Target still has them, and use them for your shoes, liquids, dirty clothes, etc.

4. Get an extra memory card for your camera, if you don't have one.(or 1 BIG one)  You'll be glad you did, unless you intend to upload them daily.

5. Get a travel sewing kit, safety pins, and some superglue. You'd be amazed at what it will fix.  ;)

6. Take bandaids.

7. Take a can of Lysol if you're squeemish about germs, and spray everything in the room. Including the bedspreads, remote control for the TV, and phone. It also comes in handy when......well, you know....2 people in a small cabin, with 1 bathroom.  ;D

8. Get a tether strap for your sea pass card, room key-or whatever Carnival calls it. Wear it around your neck.

9. TAKE A SWEATER. Or light jacket. You will need it at night if you're up on deck and the ship is moving. You'll be surprised how chilly it can be.

10. Take a handheld steamer. If not, turn on the shower with hot water and hang anything wrinkled in there for a few minutes.

You can also take a small folding file with multiple pockets to keep all the daily activity sheets (they will be under your door in the mornings) in, so they will be organized when you get home. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you collect on a daily basis. You will probably want to keep most of them.

You might already know-or do some of this when you travel. Those are just some things I do, but I'm sure others will have more tips as well.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »
Man how lucky ya'll are, I live in mexico, and I've never been in south mexico. lol
As far as I get to go down is maybe San Luis and that is pretty much it.
Have fun, and if a mexican comes to you and talks english pretty cool don't freak out it may be me hahahaha.lol
I was jk.
All I would love to say is, have fun!!!!!!!
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
You will be coming to my part of Mexico!  My house is in Mérida which is a large city about 20 miles inland from Progreso.  We also have a beach condo on the mainland across from the southern tip of the island of Cozumel.   I can see the cruise ships come in and out from my deck over there. 

I'm not sure where I will be, we go back and forth a lot.  My suggestion for Progreso would be to take a bus or tour to Mérida.  It's a gorgeous colonial city with a lot to see, beautiful homes and grand boulevards as well as a lot of squares and parks and a really impressive Cathedral.  Progreso is kind of a dump in my mind, I probably shouldn't say that.  It's a small tourist/fishing town with the only deep water port along the northern Gulf coast, which is why the cruise ships stop there.  There are some seafood restaurants along the water that are ok, I still think you will enjoy a tour of Mérida more.  If we are here I'd love to show you the city, can you tell me what day you will be in Progreso?  and for how long?  Usually the cruise ships are in Cozumel for a full day, arriving and leaving at night but I'm not sure about Progreso. 

Cozumel has very nice snorkeling and world class scuba diving.  If you don't dive, there is one area with pretty good snorkeling.  If you want to see Mayan ruins, skip the small one on Cozumel and go into town, there's only one town on Cozumel called San Miguel, and take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen.  When you get off the ferry there will be lots of stands with tour options that I'm sure are cheaper than those from the ship.  The closest ruin is Tulum and it is a beautiful location and a small number of ruins.  The better nearby site to see a real Mayan city ruin would be Cobá.  It's about 55 miles from Playa del Carmen.   Chichen Itza is a couple of hours from Progreso if you want to see that one I think you will have to take a tour from the ship, but do it from Progreso not Cozumel.    Playa del Carmen is a great tourist city as well, it has a beautiful long beach with bars and restaurants and a walking street with lots of shops, all are right by the ferry dock. 

Both cities will take dollars in payment - at a lousy exchange rate - and most everyone you encounter will speak English.  More so in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen than in Progreso but I doubt you will have a problem either place.    It will be hot and could rain in the afternoons, but I think you will enjoy it.  ¡Bienvenidos!  <<Welcome>>

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
A few key phrases:
1.¿Querrías bailar conmigo? would you like to dance with me?

2.¿Cuánto cuesta? ¿Cuánto cuesta esto?   How much is this?

3.¡Llame a la policía! Call the police!

Good luck, good times.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Better phrases to learn in the language of anywhere you are visiting are:

Thank you - Gracias

You are welcome - de nada

Please - por favor

Also common and a sign of good manners is to greet everyone you encounter with  Buenos Dias in the morning and Buenas Tardes in the afternoon.  Good manners and a smile are really all you need. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Oh you both learners, you should go back to school.
You will hear people saying are you looking for a boorgur keen(burguer king)?
Or maybe Goo-al murth(walmart).....
And the list goes on.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:21:01 PM »
BTW Jerry it is said quedrias, as in would you like.
Like quedrias bailar conmigo?
I got you, I got you......lalallalalaa.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
The phrases I offered were offered with humor. Of course good manners are desireable everywhere.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
Visit your cruise line's website and read all the FAQ's.  In addition there are several Internet cruise line forums.  Many members on those forums are experts.  Read through the topics of interest to you and pick up valuable information. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline water_sprite

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
WOW, you guys are fantastic!  A wealth of info!

I just can't tell you how excited I am.@O@  It's all I think about these days!  I haven't traveled much (it takes money!) and this is going to be an experience for me.

Howell, wished you were closer.  Would love to meet you.  And I also have a daughter your age, she's 21 and pretty cute! lol

Tink, thanks for the link, I've already looked at it and have definitely had some questions answered!

Lynn, great info!  I will  do everything on your list!

Cath, we decided to get 2 cabins, so the kids (adults, really, sort of  ;D) will have one, DH and I in the other.  I wonder now if we should have just gotten 1 cabin, since it would have been less expensive.  Oh well, at least DH and I will have some privacy! {:-P;;  The kids are pretty excited too!

Holldoll,  I think you are right about not booking the excursion, DH really wanted me to go ahead and book, now I think I've changed his mind.  Oh, I'm definitely taking a shoe holder.  Great idea!

Jerry, I know you are right about the clothes and money.  Wished I could double the money!  ;D

Esther, I'm with you.  I'm already fat, will loose any I gain when I come home.....maybe!  O0

Jonna, what a very generous offer to show us around.  We will be in Pregreso Aug 19th. 
Interesting that you brought up Tulum.  My brother and his wife have bought property right outside of Tulum and will be retiring there in a few years.  They both love Mexico so much, go several times a year.  In fact, my brother proposed in the jungle in Mexico. He says it just feels like home to him!

Thanks all for the great info....If you think of any more, keep 'em coming!!! ;D ;D

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
I think you will be very glad you got two cabins.  Not sure if you can really be prepared for just how small the normal cabins/bathrooms are unless you get a suite or a handicapped room.

tink

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
Howell, wished you were closer.  Would love to meet you.  And I also have a daughter your age, she's 21 and pretty cute! lol

Sounds like a good proposal, hehehe ;D.
I would love to meet you too, it may be so cool to meet someone from a forum I believe.
I will go nuts.......lol
Is she really that cute? Not that I care...... {:-P;;........JK.
Have fun while down here.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
We've been on 4 cruises on Carnival. Pretty sure we were on Fantasy, but not sure for which cruise. We were to Cozumel twice. You have to take a cab to get to any shopping. That alone was quite an adventure. They drive like MANIACS to hurry to get back to the ship for the next passenger. Our driver almost hit a guy on a mo ped.

As you walk up the street you will see Carlos and Charlie's. Back then (1996) it was the happening place. There was a gal dancing on the table.  ::)(this was early afternoon)  Mostly it was jewelry stores. There was one place that had a variety of touristy stuff to get. Once you've seen one you about have seen them all. I"m sure more has been added since we were there.

Bring LOTS of extra money. They have arranged tours for all the ruins sites and things, and they are dear. (at least they were back then)

You actually only have a few hours in town. I think we had something like 8 hrs. Not a lot of time if you plan on diving, and shopping, and making sure you get back to the boat in time.

If you get back early they say it's fun to stay out on a top  deck and watch the drunks coming back to the boat. Saw a couple we thought were gonna fall in the water.

You also need to leave tips for every day you are there for the guy that cleans your room . Back then it was $3.00 a day. I"m sure it is more now. They make animal shapes out of the towels and  leave a mint on your pillow. It was fun to come back to the room and see what shape you got that night.

They have nightly Vegas type shows. They are NICE. The food you NEVER go hungry. Every day they give you a schedule of events and you can plan your day from there.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
Yes, your suppose to tip the person keeping your room and your server at dinner also. Those were add ons we were not aware of the first time we cruised.
Another thing that got me was my aunt talked me into having a drink when we boarded the ship since our room was not ready. That set off the sea sickness, I was luck enough to know to focus on a stationary item until the bendril started working so I did not hurl. And if they have an early and late seating go for the early seating. Otherwise you end up waiting almost every night for the early seating to finish up before you can go in. And I have done both Carnival and  Norwegian, I liked Carnival.
We did the Norwegian Mexico cruise several years ago and it sucked. The food was mediator the ship was in poor shape & the next month someone got food poisoning on the same ship. Other coast, I am sure they have remodeled and improved since then but I will not cruise with them again ever.   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"