Author Topic: ABS/PVC pipes?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ABS/PVC pipes?
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
Yesterday afternoon we put an elbow shaped ABS pipe (black) into the pond for the fish to have another place to hide in and swim through.  This morning 2 fish were dead, and another is "hiding" his head under a lily pad leaf.  Not his entire body, but just his head - I coax him to swim away but he keeps going back.

We are wondering if there is anything in the ABS pipe that might be making the fish sick?  All the others seem to be fine and ate just a little while ago.

Oh, and I have a water lily bloom on my cheapo WalMart lily today!  I know that some of you experts don't think that's such a big deal, but for our first water lily bloom EVER we think it's a VERY BIG exciting event! @O@ Everyone has to spend within their means you know? ;)   Pictures to come just as soon as my husband takes them. O0

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    • View Profile
Re: ABS/PVC pipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
Yesterday afternoon we put an elbow shaped ABS pipe (black) into the pond for the fish to have another place to hide in and swim through.  This morning 2 fish were dead, and another is "hiding" his head under a lily pad leaf.  Not his entire body, but just his head - I coax him to swim away but he keeps going back.

We are wondering if there is anything in the ABS pipe that might be making the fish sick?  All the others seem to be fine and ate just a little while ago.

Oh, and I have a water lily bloom on my cheapo WalMart lily today!  I know that some of you experts don't think that's such a big deal, but for our first water lily bloom EVER we think it's a VERY BIG exciting event! @O@ Everyone has to spend within their means you know? ;)   Pictures to come just as soon as my husband takes them. O0

Don't know about the fish Lynne, but where is the pic of that bloom? Huh?..... ;D I wanna see it.  If you can get around to taking a pic...I'm still waiting on mine to surface....it got slowed way down when I repotted, and now I wished I would have waited a week or so to repot. Drat. :-\

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »
Sorry about your bud, Lynne - I'm sure you will see it soon.  Mine came up and is blooming much quicker than I thought it would.  It's not fully opened yet, but I did ask my husband to take some pictures a couple of hours ago and he did.  He's outside mowing the lawn now, and then is going to begin cutting wood to make an adirondack chair for the pond garden to replace the crummy one that I returned to the store this year.  When he gets a project in his head he is crazed until it's done, so I have a feeling I won't be getting those pictures from his camera until late tonight. ::)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
There isn't anything wrong with WalMart lilies...my first 2 came from there as did all my fish.  It is really hard to find plants that are affordable locally.   

I hope you are enjoying your WM purchases as much as I have over the last 7 years.

I have bought plants from forum members and made trades that are great plants for the money.

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

Lynne, 

I am sorry about your fish. :'(    Hope the others get along OK.   Happy for your FIRST waterlily bloom. @O@

I used a combination of ABS (because it is black) and PVC piping in my ponds and have not have any problems.  My ponds have been for 3 years.

Good luck,
Ruth  o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »
There isn't anything wrong with WalMart lilies...my first 2 came from there as did all my fish.  It is really hard to find plants that are affordable locally.   

I hope you are enjoying your WM purchases as much as I have over the last 7 years.

I have bought plants from forum members and made trades that are great plants for the money.

Thanks so much, Sue.  I have already had a few comments both on the WalMart lilies AND the PetSmart comet feeder fish, and that is why I wrote my post a bit defensively.  So I do really appreciate your response. O0  I'm all for the gorgeous better plants and fish, but that is not in our budget right now.

Thanks for your information, Ruth.  I didn't think it was the pipe, but just wonder why after 2 weeks we would be having problems all of a sudden.  That was the only thing that has changed the past day.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
Lynne----------you do what you can with what you have. OK?? Then also, even if you have lots, and decide to not spend it, it's OK.. OK?? It's your pond, your life, your money and you are the one who decides what you like and how you'll get it. OK?? My first lilies were free from pond members. Well actually they were from a trade. Then I got some from a landscaping store in the country here that specializes in ponds. I got  one that was floating free in a pond that was being bulldozed. I brought it home and am thrilled to find that it is a small blossom with very deep fushia color. I chopped it up and put pieces in 2 1/2 whiskey barrel pots and another preform in the back yard. They are blooming their little hearts out.  I think because they're glad I rescued them.  I love them too. If you want to see some stuff that was cheap, cheap, cheap, go to the DIY section and you'll see the PVC queen in action.

Don't know about your black pipe but there shouldn't be anything wrong with using it. We have both PVC and the expandable black pipe in our pond. Might hav been a coincidence. You'll probably never know.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
Lynne----------you do what you can with what you have. OK?? Then also, even if you have lots, and decide to not spend it, it's OK.. OK?? It's your pond, your life, your money and you are the one who decides what you like and how you'll get it. OK??

OK THEN!!! ;D O0

But really... thanks so much for the encouragement!  I guess I was a bit surprised in one of my other threads when I was not expecting some of the "strongly opinionated" responses.  That said...  I just "rescued" a Sioux waterlily from PetSmart 2 days ago.  The girl said it just came in that day, so how bad could it be, right?  Well it was in a brown paper bag that was totally sealed, so I made sure I could bring it back if it was dust or dead - yep.  When I got home, I was VERY disappointed to see that it was a rhyzome about 2 1/2 inches long, with some eensy weensy teeny tiny sprouts - some were dried dead, but others had life to them - THIS I could see with a magnifying glass - NO JOKE!  I decided not to spend the gas taking it back, and to give it a try.  I potted it up yesterday, gave it some tomato spike fertilizer, and put it on the higher shelf.  I have read that Sioux should be placed on a 6 inch shelf to begin with, and then be lowered once it's established.  It's already looking a bit happier today - the shoots are still microscopic, but I can see them and that's what counts, right?  Keeping my fingers crossed that I will at least see some pads this summer, if not flowers, and then we'll take it from there.

My first lilies were free from pond members. Well actually they were from a trade. Then I got some from a landscaping store in the country here that specializes in ponds. I got  one that was floating free in a pond that was being bulldozed. I brought it home and am thrilled to find that it is a small blossom with very deep fushia color. I chopped it up and put pieces in 2 1/2 whiskey barrel pots and another preform in the back yard. They are blooming their little hearts out.  I think because they're glad I rescued them.  I love them too.

I also think they are glad to have been rescued - good for you!!!

If you want to see some stuff that was cheap, cheap, cheap, go to the DIY section and you'll see the PVC queen in action.

WOW - just came from there - I am VERY impressed!!!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
LOL. Glad to encourage you. I am almost 67 and started ponding about 7-8 years ago. I'm cheap, retired and am on social security. DH has been laid off since November and it doesn't look good for him to go back to work.  But really, what is behind all that is some inner need to try to create the things I see that people spend money on and I like to try to DIM, (do it myself). Most of the time I figure it out and DH, the plumber, helps but sometimes my ideas get tossed as they just won't work. Luckily, DH has the same instinct and has had exposure to a lot of stuff because of his career in construction. He knows a little about a lot of things. My thinking is to at least try something out and sometimes in the middle of the project, we begin to see how to tweak it this way or that and eventually,----wala!!

As with any group of people, you will get "very opinionated" responses from certain individuals from time to time. Yup, even me, depending on the topic. But I try to phrase my strong thoughts in a way that isn't critical or putdownish. Is that a word? It's OK to state opinions but isn't necessary to hurt feelings. Right?? As I try to convince my husband, we each should be allowed to have different opinions and state them but it doesn't mean we don't like each other because of it. Some folks have not learned the need, or technique of disagreeing so if you see it happening here, just throw it in the bag with all the other opinions and shake it up. If the opinion is worth using, then wonderful. If not, toss it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:37:49 PM by Esther »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:20:20 PM »
Lynn, as everyone else says, it's your pond, you do what you want since you are spending the money.

i got just one question about that ABS pipe you used. It wasn't used, was it? I have to ask since it wasn't mentioned. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
Scott - the pipe was brand new and my husband wiped it down - I asked him what he used and he said a new cloth.

Thanks again Esther and Scott. :hug:  The thing of it is... I have been a member of a gardening forums website for 6 years now, and we try very hard not to say negative things there.  Especially things that might hurt someone's feelings.  IF anything is said, the moderators usually remove the post, or send a private message to the poster. 

But you are both absolutely correct :hug:, and sometimes I can be a bit sensitive - goes with my Virgo personality, you know?!? {:-P;;

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
Here is a picture of that one fish "hiding" under a lily pad a few hours before he died.  He seemed to be ok - swimming away when we got near him... and then later her was dead stuck against the bottom drain. :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"