Author Topic: Ligularia's By The Pond  (Read 1732 times)

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ligularia's By The Pond
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
 8)

The Rocket Ligularia is in fine form this year!!!  The rounded leaf type is in my upflow Skippy-type garbage can filter...

The Hostas are bareroot in the waterfall and are the largest I've ever seen them....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/finnpond/July2009Pond012.jpg?t=1247424666

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/finnpond/July2009Pond014.jpg?t=1247424724

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/finnpond/July2009Pond003.jpg?t=1247424763

Dave

By the way, how do I just post the images from Photobucket and not the weblink only?...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ligularia's By The Pond
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »
Jealous of your ligularias and hostas!  So many tall yellow flower stalks.  I like!  I can't seem to grow hostas healthy like yours.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
Annette-
I've heard that hostas need a cold winter to thrive.  Maybe that's why!

I love your pond!

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:56:23 PM »
Finnpond, love your pics as usual and boy that Yucca sure is tall and what a beauty  O0. Are your Hosta's in sun or shade? Do you bring your Taro inside in the fall? If so what do you do with it? Thanks jw  :)

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
Hi Everybody and thanks... 

jw...  It is actually a Dracaena... And we nearly lost it this year with all the snow and cold...  I had Christmas lights on it and I think they may have helped it make it thru...  Also had a blanket around the base of it... We had 2 smaller ones freeze back to the ground, but now I see them coming back up...  I do bring the taro into our garage in the fall, water it every couple months and it seems to do just fine...  The hostas are in full sun, but being in the waterfall they do not wilt and are just huge...  I will absolutely have to divide them this year... I leave the waterlilies and lotus in the pond all year...

Dave

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
Oh Dracaena...........I didn't realize we could grow that here outside. Where did you find it and what kind is it? I have a Mexican Fan Palm that I put the Christmas lights around last winter but it was in a pot and when it started to get really cold I drug it back and forth into the garage til the temps warmed a bit. It made it just fine. When you say you bring the Taro into the garage do you have lots of windows? I have some south facing windows all along the top of our 3 car garage so maybe that would work? Gets pretty cold in there tho. I hear you can bring them into the house also. I may try sticking some of my Hostas in the pond on the ledges as I don't have a stream type of waterfall. It just falls straight down over the edge. And you just leave the Hostas in there all year? I'm not sure how I would do that............use a pot of dirt or just put them in a net and hang them in there somehow or what? Thinking, thinking I'm always looking for new ideas  :D. Thanks a bunch Dave  :).
Janice

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »

Dave... I love your ligularia.  This year I added Britt Marie but she likes way to much shade to go by my pond.  But the black leaves with the yellow blooms are very pretty!  Does yours get full sun and its bareroot huh.. hmmm wonder if britt marie would survive like that.. I orginally got her cause I seen a lady selling them on ebay as bog plants but then learned she probably would not grow that way. 

The tag you need to view pictures is a  img tag.  in photobucket if you click on the view more options, it will give you a option to copy and past for forums and bulletin borard... I left out some of the ['s below so that you could view the html but it will be like this.

IMGhttp://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz280/tinkster40/1.jpg[/IMG]

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
jw...  I put the taro on a hanging shelf off the ceiling in my garage and, exactly as you describe, my garage has windows across the top...  I don''t really think the amount of sunshine matters...  They are in some kind of dormancy, lose their leaves and die back almost completely...  The same for the Hosta in the waterfall... 

Tink...  I was thinking about you when I posted these pictures, as I think you have the Rocket also...  Neither of the Ligularia are bare root in the pond...  The Rocket is planted in dirt next to the pond but is much more tolerant of direct sun than the round-leaved one in my filter... I moved the round-leaved one so it has wet feet in the filter and it does not wilt at all now...  It is in a pot with soil...  They both need beau-coup (lots of) water...  but mine are close to my Savio skimmer, so when I clean it, they are the recipients of all the goop I wash off the filters...  Thanks for the picture posting instructions!!!  I used to know how to do it but senility slowly sets in.....  In my case it might not be so slow...

Dave

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"