Author Topic: Putting the inside pond together  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Putting the inside pond together
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »
I've finally gotten the inside pond rebuilt and I'm really excited to get the rest of the stuff I need tomorrow and start putting it together.  It is in a long hallway in our old colonial, we've had water in it for 5 days now and the pump and skimmer are working.

This is inside the boxes above, the pvc has holes in the bottom and water flows out those into the boxes and overflows back into the pond.  I'm going to fill them with gravel I have sitting in the bottom of my outside pond and put plants in them.  I'm calling them bog boxes.

This is the skimmer at one end.  There is a filter pad in it and I will add some other filter material when I find it.   They are coming next week to put brackets over it and an iron grill.  I'll put a potted plant on it I think.   The water from the pump is split and I can control how much goes to the bog boxes and how much comes out at the other end of the pond.  I've been keeping the flow to the boxes very low this last few days and that creates a visible current from the other end.  Hopefully enough to move all the water towards the skimmer. 

You can see that water is now splashing out onto the hall floor.  I'm going to a place that makes concrete columns tomorrow and hope to get 3 that will let me put potted ferns a few inches in the water that will block the splash.  That's the plan anyway.  We'll see if it works.

It's open to the sky (there is some mosquito netting above it) and this is the sun it gets at mid day in the summer.  It gets less direct sun in the winter but a lot of light.  It also rains into it, sometimes pretty heavy. 

I have some caladiums that are doing well bare root in the outside bog filter but I have them shaded by cannas.  I'm going to try using the same type in the bog boxes along with some coleus, all bare root.   

It's not an ideal set up, I have no good way to clean out the boxes, but I think I can make it work.  Once I get it planted I'm going to look for fish.  I hope I can keep it clear without a UV, if not I have room for one next to the skimmer. 

I roughly calculated that it holds more than 1150 gallons, the dimensions are almost 24' in length, 3.25' deep, and 2' wide.    Tomorrow will be fun.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Putting the inside pond together
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:52 AM »
Very cool  O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »
Wow - everything looks great. Love the colours too. Did you have a designer in, or are you just really multi-talented?
A home that has in indoor water feature has always been my idea of luxury.
Very, very nice Jonna.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »
a very classic look. Classy too. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Oh my, that is very, very cool.  I mean really cool.  I hope it works well for you, can't wait to see pictures of it finished w/plants and fish! o(
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »
That is fabulous and I bet you are so excited to have it so nearly finished  @O@. I would be jumping up and down for joy  :woot:

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
That looks awesome...... @O@ @O@ @O@
I would love to see it, not that I am inviting my own self... {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;;
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »
Jonna, that is very nice;  I can imagine the sound of that water down that long cool hallway!   O0  Now the fun begins:  plants and fish!   @O@ 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »
Looks amazing! I would LOVE to have something like that in my house!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Your corridor pond is awesome!  Love it! 

To stop the splash have you thought of using glass or something clear to direct the water like a sheet into the pond?  Did that make any sense? Like a wall fountain except you have a sheet of glass in front of the bog box so the over flow will flow down the glass and into the pond water below.  I'm sure it will be more expensive to do and keeping the glass clean may require a little more elbow grease.  Just a thought.  ;)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
Beautiful & looking forward to pics of it with plants/fish.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »
I was crazy to think I could get everything and put it together in one day.  I jumped up this morning excited to get started.  As always, it took forever to get organized to leave and some friends wanted to go along so we went to their house and then I got caught up looking at their garden.  Finally we were off and stopped at a beautiful old colonial mansion that is sadly used to sell construction materials.  I'm awed by the place, beautiful stained glass windows, huge wrap around porch with dozens of stone columns, a circular space at one corner that is surrounded by vines.  The whole place has beautiful old pasta tile floors in wonderful patterns.  Unfortunately, it is filled with concrete block and pvc parts and big bales of wires, the backyard has piles of gravel of different sizes and sand.  I got another bag of the limestone gravel and we continued on. 

There is a thing that happens in some businesses here, it seems like they really don't want to sell you anything.  We got to the concrete and stone fabrication place in a small town on the outskirts of the city.  It is a huge, many acres, factory filled with stone or concrete benches, fountains, columns, just about anything and everything you can imagine made from stone or concrete.  I found 2 stands that I believe were made to be the outlet for water coming from the roof of large buildings.  They are concrete, kind of angular and exactly the height and width I wanted... except I need 3.  Before I found them the woman working said they didn't have anything the size I wanted.  Sorry.  I walked around and found several things that would work but when I asked she said they didn't have any more.  Then I asked about a bench I want for the guest shower, sorry we don't have them in that size.  I persisted, can you make them?  What if I come back next Monday?  I think it was the fear that I would actually return and we'd have to go through this all again that got her to call the back and see if they had 2 more of the spouts.  Why yes, turns out they do.   The equivalent of $10 each and they were mine.  Weird to have to convince someone to sell you something from their store.  I've had this happen before, I can see what I want behind a counter and they persist in telling me they don't have any, not until I point to it and ask 'what about that?' do they grudgingly agree to let me buy it. 

The other big attraction of this small town is a famous nursery.  It's also enormous, I walked for an hour poking around and don't think I saw everything growing there.  I so wished that I had someone like Joyce along that could identify plants.  If I wanted to ask about something I had to go and find one of the guys and then he would tell me the name in Spanish but, that doesn't help me since my knowledge of plant names is paltry in English and very shallow in Spanish.  No tags of course.  Lots of water gardens scattered under shade cloth here and there.  Enormous ficus trees of at least two kinds neither of which is the same as the one hanging over my backyard.  An African Sausage tree (translation of the Spanish name) that was just incredible.  It must have been 50' tall and at least as wide and there were hundreds of loofah shaped gourds hanging from it.  The blooms were prehistoric looking, just an incredible tree.   

I bought 3 plants in the Arum family that are called Malanga and which he said were a small variety that will not get enormous.  I'm hoping to put them bare root in the bog boxes along with the caladiums.  I also bought a feathery looking papyrus, very large, for the outside pond.  I have the umbrella type and wanted the puff type.  I asked about dwarf banana and was shown one that is non edible but should stay under 5 or 6 feet in height.  He showed me a mature one on the grounds that was blooming.  The bloom goes straight up in the middle of the plant and the fruit forms around it.  Very pretty.  I wanted a red dwarf variety but you get what there is around here.  I'm going to put it in the outside bog as well. 

The ornamental banana was $8, the Malanga almost $6ea and the enormous papyrus about $11.   I forgot to take my camera but my friend Paula brought hers so I will get some pictures from her.  On the way home it was hot and muggy and we were going right past one of the huge malls which had underground parking.  My plants wouldn't bake in the sun so went in and had a long lunch at Chevy's.  When we left there was a rain deluge as if giant buckets of water were being poured on us.  So, when I got home I brought the plants in and then took a nap.  More to do tomorrow.  This being retired is tough. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
And just where are the pics opf your latest work  8-)~ I bet it looks as great as everything else does.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"