Author Topic: vivip question  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
vivip question
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
I get a vivip it has little pads & a few little roots. I put them in a pot & they just sit there & don't do anything. They don't die but they don't get bigger either.

How do you get them to grow?

Should I try floating them in bags longer?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: vivip question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
Do you fertilize them?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Missa

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
One I did ... but the others no. I was afraid it was too early.

Should I?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:36 PM »
How close to the water surface are they?  Water temps?  If you get them too hot they don't survive but if you've got them too far under the water surface they sometimes don't do much. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
How deep should they be, Kat. I got Lindsay Woods and am wondering if I have it at the right depth.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »
How close to the water surface are they?  Water temps?  If you get them too hot they don't survive but if you've got them too far under the water surface they sometimes don't do much. 

Right under the water in the shallows ... the water will feel warm when the sun is out. Cools of some at night.

I went ahead & gave the others some fertilizer.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:03:20 AM »
I usually will have about 8-10" of water over my tropical crowns.  The pots I've been planting my vivips in are shorter, so I will usually have them sitting on bricks or something to hold them closer to the surface.  Some viviparous starts will grow better than others.  Blink is a very hard one to get to survive for me but ones like Tina/Islamorada/Key Largo/Hoku Kea do much better.  I've got a shallow black pan I picked up at Lowes in the cement department that I'll fill up to put vivip starts in.  Gets pretty hot during the day, cools off at night.  Been able to grow some viviparous starts in it ok & I do plant them with a pinch of fertilizer.  Maybe Craig will speak up to help out with your question.

Lindsey Woods has been a harder to grow lily for me.  I think I tried to get 3 different plants of it to grow before I was finally successful in getting one to survive the season.  Savannah even gets great success with hers in her mud pond, so I'm thinking maybe LW is one that requires higher temps to be happiest.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
I just got some vivips from robie from merida and I planted them for now on a dixie cup.
Seems like it is doing great since the leaflets had open now and seems like new leaves are developing.
It cools off a lot at night will this affect the vivips?
BTW they are duabenyana vivips.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
Kat, I just happen to have received my LW from Savannah last Fall and managed to have them survive the Winter in the house with my N. minuta and red mangrove seedlings. It is in with the other tropicals in a 2 gallon pot sitting at the bottom of a 28" deep pond which means it's 20" from the top of the pot to the surface.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"