Author Topic: The Agony and the Ecstasy of living with wildlife  (Read 1127 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
The Agony and the Ecstasy of living with wildlife
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
As most of you know, i lost all my fish, at least 2 hundred of them to minks last summer. I do not have one fish left, not one. I live on a lake and expect to fight the wildlife, but I am waving my white flag. a friend who lives miles away from the lake and its hungry inhabitants, started a big pond about 12 years ago and i supplied him with nice fish and he then had an accumulation of about 100 nice, over 8 inch koi and goldfish. last week a combined effort by heron and mink cleaned him out in two days before he had a chance to realize what was going on.

Now that i have no fish, i have a wonderful accumulation of money bugs and zillions of tadpoles and tons of string algae for the first time. so i decided to treat the pond with potassium permanganate for the algae.  i saw a post by joyce on the dosage and went to the pond to pour it in when i saw little tadpoles looking at me. my heart melted, i knew that the PP would kill them all. so i will live with the algae and enjoy the tadpoles.

I guess if you cant fight them, join them.

louis

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Agony and the Ecstasy of living with wildlife
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
Aw louis, that story melted my heart.  Creation sings because of people like you.   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
Thank God for people like you.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
i lost all my fish, at least 2 hundred of them to minks last summer
Oh, I forgot about this horrible incident somehow.  How sad for you and your friend this year.  I also like that you can live with the algae to save the frogs.  They lucked out.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
My kind of guy!!   O0

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
Thank you for being kind to the tadpoles & I feed mine well.  It is fun to see their legs grow & to see them hanging around on the lily pads.  That is so sad about even more fish being gone by another mink & heron.  Herons at least you can try to prevent them from getting fish but I couldn't imagine dealing with a mink.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »
I couldn't imagine dealing with a mink.

hi kat, its impossible to deal with them. i have relocated many but they breed like, well they breed like mink  :D

louis

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
I really do love the wildlife and I even feed them, BUT I hate it when they help themselves.  I have a humane trap out now for the Raccon that is eying my sweet corn patch.  I hope to relocate him in the morning.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"