Author Topic: One very clever audition. You will laugh!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
One very clever audition. You will laugh!
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:17:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZNX1jqbOk

this is exactly how auditions are done.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: One very clever audition. You will laugh!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »
That's so funny....I laughed my butt off!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
See you at Annette's. I will watch for the dude with no butt! lol
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
well, I wouldn't go that far...it's been between my ears lately... lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »
been there compadre!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
 ;D ;D
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
   {:-P;;   lol   :D 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
I am not nearly so clever, but I did a good one in a class.  When I was to do a monologue I threw my hands up in disgust and told the whole class they were fools and the teacher wasn't worth crap.  They were pale with shock. I then walked out angry
I came back a min later and said "Gotcha" !  they were still in shock!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:19:13 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
This reminds me of when I came to California from Md when I was 17.  I was already popular in school because it was a small town and I had run away from home and hitchhiked cross country...so people were intrugued by what I had done.  One of my classes was drama, and it was a double class that was held in the music room, with the seating being more of a circular 'bleacher' type seating that circled the room.  The first day of the semester, which was when I arrived, the teacher wanted each of us to tell a joke or a story to break the ice since many people were new to the class.  This was my first day in a new school and when I got there I sat alone, not one person said a word to me.  The girls didn't notice me, and I felt like a wart on a log.

When my time came to break the ice, I decided to tell a joke...but to elaborate on it and use real events from my teen years in Maryland to mask the fact that I was actually telling a dumb joke - not letting anyone be the wiser until the punchline at the end.  It was entirely off the cuff, and I had everyone's attention for about 20 minutes, just telling this "extended" joke, with small anecdotes and humor laced into the real part of the story.  Any outside noises were hushed by other classmembers, and the teacher sat there as if I was giving a lecture.

I don't know what came over me, or why I was able to do this, because just a mere week earlier I was a scared, skinny, depressed teenager fearing that his father was out to get him and hurt him.  I ran because I was tired of looking over my shoulder, and tired of pretending that I was happy.  Numerous times, I had climbed over a railing of a bridge thinking about jumping, but climbed back because I was more afraid of failure than I was of success.  But that day, I was in the spotlight and enjoyed making those people laugh and knew I was going to make friends.  When I got to the punch line, people were laughing, some shaking their heads because it really was a stupid joke, but they knew that I had them the entire time.

By the end of class, I found myself sitting with a few others who had decided to move and sit near me.  Two girls in the class, both cheerleaders, told the teacher they wanted to do their skits with me, and the kid who had the lead in the upcoming senior class play told me that he was learning two parts, and thought I would be better for the lead than he was.  The teacher stopped me at the end of class and told me, "you really won them over", and smiled in approval.  For the next couple weeks I did all my skits with the cutest girls in the class, and they fought over who got to do a skit with me next.  I was transformed from scared to confident, shy to outgoing, and a loner to being popular.  All because of a scary story I told about the back woods of Maryland laced with a dumb joke.

I didn't stay long at that school, though.  My uncle, whom I was staying with, decided to send me back home to Md., to the same person I was running from in the first place, and within a month I was gone.  Ahhh...to be young again....that was 30 years ago...and I remember it like it was only 3 decades ago!  :)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »
Great story about the ad lib, I can relate. I once taught EMS at a local college and had to go in just to pick up some paperwork. The instructor that night saw me walk down the hall, left his class and rushed out to catch me. In hushed tones he told me that he was not up to teaching the subject tonight, that he didn't know it well enough to teach it. He was terrified that the students would ask him a question that he couldn't answer. I asked him what the topic was and he replied "Acid base balance."

I was not prepared and had none of my usual visual aids but saw the look of terror in his eyes and said "I'll wing it."

He took me into the class and introduced me as a person of particular expertise on the subject, a special guest speaker. I had their complete attention as I began with no idea of how to steer them so... I winged it in my own crude way.

"Life on this planet for us exists within a very narrow window of opportunity. Just like the water in a swimming pool must maintain the proper ph, we too must autoregulate our ph. This happens without our concious knowledge, we don't have a clue as to all of the complicated compensations that our body is doing just to keep us alive. We must maintain an acid/base balance of 7.25 to 7.35 just to stay alive. A deviation of .5 in either direction could be fatal."

I had them now, they were clinging on my every word as the "expert" on the subject. Eager to learn, they listened to me like I was a Harvard professor. Then I started winging it...

"Let's say that you are staying in a hotel and have a very important meeting at 8:00 A.M. You order room service for breakfast at 7:30, this will give you just enough time to make your meeting. If your breakfast shows up at 7:45 you will be late and be fired and this is not good. If your breakfast shows up at 7:15 and you are sitting on the toilet taking a **** you will be pissed off."

They looked stunned for a moment and then laughed but it was something they all could relate to.

I went on.. "You wanted your breakfast at 7:30 but 7:25 would be OK, you would be off of the toilet. If it showed up at 7:35 you would still be OK because you can still make your meeting. But if it shows up more than five minutes in either direction, you are screwed."

I did go further into detail about the buffer system and so forth but the initial example took the edge off of a very tense situation. It was one of my shining moments as an instructor

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
Yeppir....I use metaphors ALL the time when I try to make a point, and much of the time people truly understand what I mean and tell me that was a great way to explain it.  I think sometimes using those every day occurences to get a point across is what it takes to allow people to hear and comprehend, rather than just listen...and wonder!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"