Author Topic: Sad way for our street to make the news  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sad way for our street to make the news
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
I was next door getting my neighbor to help me with a door knob to my daughters cabinet.  I heard an EMS, then I heard firetrucks.  I stepped out of his garage and saw smoke, the stepped out a little further and I could see flames.  About 10 houses down there was a house totally engulfed in flames.

Everyone made out of the house.  I walked down as far as I could after the flames were out.  I took several pictures.  Helped catch the lab that lived at that house.  The firemen were afraid he was going to run back inside. 

Heard the Father talking, he was in the kitchen and was going to fix his little boy a hamburger.  Lit the burner and everything when up, down the hall everywhere.  It blew out all the windows, etc.

There wasn't a storm door up at the house, neighbors said the front door was open.  They're little boy about 2 to 3 just stepped out the front door.  The said there was a ball of flames right behind him.  Nothing touched him, Thank GOD!

I had told my kids to stay with me or stay at home, there were so many firetrucks and police cars flying.  I went up and directed traffic for a little bit, and after about 20 lights flashing from all the firetrucks, police cars, ems's, lg&e I was trying to keep our road from getting backed up so the equipment could get down there.

My son decided to ride his bike as fast as he could after everything settled down.  Looked back to see where his twin brother was, and smacked right into our mailbox.  Remeber the one I covered with the street sign)  His shoulder, knees, hand and forearm all scrapped & bruised.  Has about a 5x3 inch bruise on his forearm.  He walked down to where I was with a wash cloth on his arm.  I said what happened, he explained.  I rubbed my hands all over his head to make sure he didn't hit it.  I didn't feel anything.  His glasses were not bent, so I guess he didn't hit his head anywhere.  Came home and poured peroxide all over him.  Really didn't bleed much, just that one bruise that looks like its bleed under the skin.

Geeez, what a wild night.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sad way for our street to make the news
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:53 PM »
Thats heartbreaking :'( At least they all made it out, even the dog! Your poor son, I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse by running into the mailbox! Good thing you didn't have to rush him to the ER for stitches to add to all the chaos. You know I swear I did that also when I was young! I still remember eating a bananna with one hand, steering with the other (er trying to) and losing control....BAMMMMM! I don't however remember wether it hurt or not so I must have been fine.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
That's tough to come home to, glad they were all okay. 

I came home one night to see our street blocked off and EMT and hazmat people on the block.  Found out on the news that five doors down they busted people who had a meth lab. 
Just the H Cl in the air could have killed Rocky, we moved in less than a month. 
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
Wow! That's way too much excitement!  Glad everyone ended up OK. 

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
Thats terrible! Glaad to see every one made out Ok. We can rebuild houses but not people. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »
It's always sad when people loose everything to a fire. Our small town volunteer department was very good at salvaging what we could while we could. It was a known fact that if we made entry and needed to go out for a fresh air bottle to snatch up as many pictures off of the wall that we could. Even if it was getting out of hand we grabbed pictures on the way out. Some family pictures just can't be replaced, everything else can. I've seen a woman cry over her plecostamus that was many years old, she really didn't care about much else at the time.

You can see the hole that they cut in the roof to release the superheated gasses and ventilate the house, too bad it didn't work. It would amaze you to see just how fast things can go up in flames. There is a training video where an enclosed room has a Christmas tree and some drapes and a chair. A timer is clicking in the upper right hand corner of the video to show the elapsed time. In lees than 2 minutes the entire room is engulfed.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »
Wow, you don't need that kind of excitement. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope people don't think you beat up your son.  :o

Offline JohnR

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »
We have had 3 houses burn within site of my house in our neighborhood. Unfortunatly on the last one not everyone made it out  :'(. I also got a visit from the firemen two weeks ago when one of our cars caught on fire in the driveway.

Glad to see everyone made it out. Oddly enough after the fatal fire it actually brought everyone on the street closer. There is actually a feeling of community here now instead of everyone not even knowing their neighbor

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
So, it apparently was a gas leak?

A couple years ago, I was outside and heard an explosion.  It was a house about a mile away from us.  I went in and turned on the scanner.  It turned out that it was the house next doors to one we had lived in for fourteen years and we knew the owner very well.  He had been doing remodeling and working under the house, he had flipped the light switch when it exploded.  I will never forget what I heard on the scanner.  They could talk to him but couldn't get him pulled from the debris and the flames were spreading quickly.  He lived, but was in the hospital for months.  We have also had two other homes in our county that exploded because of a gas leak.  Kinda scary......... we have gas.  :-\

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"