Author Topic: something on back of lily pads, help.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline cambria koi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
something on back of lily pads, help.
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:52:44 PM »
I have found a jelly like substance on the back of some of the lily pads.  It is clear in color and about the size of a 1 to 1 1/2 long worm.  I can peel it off easily.  Sometimes it is straight and other times curled in a half circle.  Anyone know what it is.  Thanks.
Dorothy

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: something on back of lily pads, help.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »
Snail eggs from pond snails . . . .

Offline cambria koi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:23:03 PM »
Thanks Teresa, I have found some snails in the pond recently.
Dorothy

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:28:45 PM »
Yes, snail eggs!

Ewww. Can't stand them. >:( {-) Wipe them off.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:45:30 AM »
They come in on plants from other ponds.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with a pond snail. I find them quite interesting. I have those, Ramshorns, and Apple snails. Did I mention that I don't have string algae?

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »
Unfortunately, there is no correlation between Snails and String Algae (which favors cooler climates).

True, there is nothing wrong with Ramshorn, Apple, or Trapdoor snails. They are insignificant scavengers. However, what Cambria Koi has discovered are the eggs of the Great Pond Snail, Limnaea stagnalis. These are not good snails. They can spread quickly (multiply like bunnies), choke up filtration, and are intermediate hosts of certain parasites (anchor worm). As they complete their life cycles and die, the dead  ones smell pretty bad, and decaying snails can mess up water quality.

I've found that I can't really get rid of them, but I can keep their populations somewhat in check by constantly wiping off the eggs from the undersides of the lily pads, and tossing any that I find in the filters, pond, or pots. I can toss dozens at a time from one Lotus pot.  &-)

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline cambria koi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 10:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I throw the snails out of the pond when I see them and do take the goo off the back of the pads or just toss the pad.  I am now wondering about the parasites.  I have lost 2 small koi and one large one in the past 3 weeks.  The two small ones has a similar gel on  them in one spot.  I removed it and underneath was a little funny looking place almost like it was becoming an ulcer but not red looking or deep, just on the surface.  On the large koi I found nothing to indicate what might be wrong.  The other fish in the pond became very lathargic.  I did a salting to hopefully get rid of parasites.  It has been four days since salting and they are acting back to normal now.  I hope that was the answer.  I am going to be very diligent now trying to check for the snails and tossing them.  Thanks again for all of you input.
Dorothy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 12:35:21 AM »
I say snail eggs also.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:26:16 AM »
I keep snails. I don't seem to have a problem yet. I have 9 ponds. Oldest pond is 5 yrs old.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"