Author Topic: Left landing gear malfunction  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Left landing gear malfunction
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:55:45 AM »
Well, I've limped enough. It's getting to the point that my left knee is hurting by 08:30 A.m. and I have to climb a lot of ladders and stairs at work. By the end of the day I have a pronounced limp. I'm going to the orthopedic surgeon Monday and he's gonna take me out of work. So be it, I get full pay for 6 months and 1/2 pay for 6 months if it goes that long. I can hear him sharpening his scalpel right now. I don't mind being off of work and getting paid the same as if I were there, the only problem is that I am hyperactive and my company has private detectives that they hire to spy on you and take photographs of you if you are mowing the lawn or doing anything at all. They have fired 2 people in the past month that were off of work sick or hurt and then were photographed shoveling rocks and the other was at a bar when he said he was sick.

I guess I'll just work on my book or buy one of those really detailed model wooden ships that you have to paint each cannon and actually tie the rigging. I do have a woodshop and a scroll saw, I could just shut the door and make bird houses but the idea of being tailed by a spy is kind of intriuging in a way. He will stick out like a sore thumb in this neighborhood and I will limp right up to him if I see him and offer him a beer. I just hope that I don't drive my wife nuts being home for weeks at a stretch but it will be good practice for when I retire.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Left landing gear malfunction
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
Good plan!  I have a Delta scroll Saw too.
Have you tried knee supports?  When I played ball they were very useful.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
My personal worth went up in February....  I had a titanium full replacement on my left knee...  Sure feels better than before, but the 6 weeks rehab wasn't much fun... I found out why oxycontin is abused by the druggies!!!  It was the only thing that cut the pain... 

Hope they can fix yours....

Dave

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »
I've never had knee problems fortunately.  Hopefully you will heal up quickly.  To keep out of trouble I would suggest having your treating physician document in writing as to what physical activities are okay to do or you are encouraged to do and what activities he does not want you to do.

One of the very many hats I wore when I worked in our personnel division was the worker's comp hat.  Worker's comp was one of my more difficult assignments.  There were "good" employees that were anxious to recover and return to work and then there were the troublesome employees who were milking the system.  In our state, safety employees get full pay up to one year for every accepted claim.  A troublesome employees may have multiple claims under various body parts; knee, shoulder, neck, ankle etc. and thus could take a few weeks off on one claim at full pay, return to work and then take a month off on another body part.  Of course their treating physician would have to be the one actually taking the employee off work but these employees always knew which doctors would play their game.  It would only be these troublesome employees that our city attorney's office would spend the extra money to hire private investigators to catch the employee on video doing physical things that they were not supposed to be doing. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 05:12:53 AM »
I took the plunge and called in yesterday. I'll see my doctor Monday and you bet Mike, I'll have him document "Very limited activity as is tolerated by patient." There is a difference between mowing my lawn and pounding the pavement for 12 hours, climbing numerous stairs and ladders. They usually wait until an employess has been off for several weeks before they go to the expense of hiring a tail. The two employees that were fired last month were a fluke. One had a motorcycle wreck and injured his knee. It so happened that the shift supervisor knew him and went to a party across the street from his house. There he was shoveling rocks in his driveway. The boss took pictures of him on his cell phone.

The other dummy went to work and then told the boss that he was sick and left. He stupidly told a coworker that he was going to a club and the other guy blew him in to the boss who then went there and took pictures. I have 13 months left and I'll be very sure not to get myself in trouble. It does suck though because I'm now ready to actually start on the back yard after repairing the house.

Jerry, we have so much in common I'm sure if we lived closer we would be the best of friends. Kayak fishing, woodworking and yard work. Still it's good to have your internet friends.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:03:41 AM »
So true.
Did you know im dating your ex girlfriend too? lol
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »
So true.
Did you know im dating your ex girlfriend too? lol

Poor you, you have my sympathy.  {:-P;;

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
I suggest you make of a list of things you are capable of doing, such as mowing the lawn or working on minor projects and have you doctor review them and make notes as to how much, if any, of the activity you are permitted to perform and for how long.  Then if they do catch you on video you will have prior approval from your doctor.  You can't over-document these kind of things.... especially if your worker's comp people enjoy screwing with people.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
Bullfrog,  with 13 months left you might consider getting any health/dental needs taken care of while you're on the job.  Coverage is usually better for current employees than it is for retirees.

If your knee is blown, torn ligaments, etc. requiring arthroscopic surgery you are not going to feel much like mowing the lawn or any other arduous task.

Do what you gotta do, don't bust your own chops, and don't jeapordize your retirement.

Be well, be safe,
Jim
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:42:44 AM »
I'll find out today if it's ligaments, tendons or the knee. I have used this doctor before and he is good. It is driving me crazy not doing anything. I have a privacy fence in my back yard but I felt weird just burning debris yesterday, I'll feel better once he documents what activity I can do and for how long. I pulled my plantaris muscle fighting a fire at the plant and they had me hobbling in there on crutches to sit behind a desk and do nothing for 10 hours a day. I'll make sure that he documents "no working until released from his care" this time. Limited activity at home is different from climbing ladders and stairs for 12 hours.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"