Author Topic: How many pads can you remove?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How many pads can you remove?
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
According to Sean's tutorial for tropical plants in Dixie cups you can leave something like 3 or so pads and its sufficient for the tropical lily to still grow and bloom, allowing you to fit many tropicals in a small pond or space.

How many pads can you leave on a hardy to produce the same effect?  I don't have a lot of space as my ponds are container ponds or 100 gal stock tanks, so I find it hard to keep hardies as they take up a lot of pot space on the bottom of the small container ponds/ stock tanks due to  they grow horizontally in the pot (needs bigger pot than a dixie cup).  This one hardy in particular that I have has an enormous spread and huge pads to rival a tropical lily, and I would like to remove a lot of pads on it down to 3 if it won't kill it or prevent it from blooming.  Does anyone know if I can do this?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:40:55 AM by greenthumbnails »
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How many pads can you remove?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
I have pinched them down to 5 or 7 when I was dividing them in the summer.  I never lost one doing it.  They did continue to bloom.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
You can also trade your monster for a miniature :)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:14:10 AM »
You can also trade your monster for a miniature :)

Was thinking of doing that next year.  I divided it for the first time this year after much hesitation.  Didn't like the idea/feel of cutting into a perfectly healthy plant tuber....felt like I was doing something wrong.  When I flipped the tuber over I noticed that my slice went right through a growing point on the other side, so I was actually afraid that I might have killed one of the divisions.  Wanted to wait to see that I still had one half alive before I offered up the other one for trade.  I really like the bloom (and its my first hardy that I bought, and stayed alive for me when I started ponding last year) so I don't want to trade the whole plant.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:19:37 AM by greenthumbnails »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »
I just sheared ALL my pads and buds, blooms off 2 Helvola's because when I tried to repot them, they were so entangled, just couldn't do it.
Now, a week later...they looks better than ever and blooming too!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
The biggest fear we have for waterlilies is usually killing it.
Lilies are however a lot tougher than most of us give them credit for.
I've had lilies totally defoliated by gypsy moths, assorted animals etc and as long as they had a healthy rhizome or tuber and a decent root system they always came back unless it was really adverse weather...ie. extremely cold or hot.
As Joyce described, you can basically take almost everything off of a hardy and there is enough energy in the rhizome to put up more pads as long as you do not damage the crown.

If you are timid, hack off 1/4 or 1/3 and see the results. Then you can guage how much more you want to prune with a new found confidence.

Experience was the best teacher for me. People told me the same and until I tried was afraid of killing them.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, and the vote of confidence.  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"