Author Topic: purple pickerel tuber question  (Read 776 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
purple pickerel tuber question
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »
I recently repotted my purple pickeral tuber and found a gigantic tuber behind it.  I separated the growing part of the plant from the large tuber tail that didn't have any other growing points along it.  The tuber was very firm though no white roots seemed to be attached to it.  Not knowing what to do I tossed it into a large bucket that I use to quarantine or float plants until I get a chance to pot them up.  It sank to the bottom of the murky water in the bucket.  It is probably too deep for it (being about 2 feet deep), but I really do not know what to do with it.  Assuming it hasn't turned to mush by now being at the bottom of a very deep bucket, can it just be planted and expected to grow? The part that had a growing tip/plant has already been planted and is doing fine, just want to know what to do with the huge tail end of the tuber.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: purple pickerel tuber question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
You will probably not get anything from it.
They grow horizontally and keep on going like a Louisiana Iris does.
If it is going to split, it usually still does it at the front or growing point.
I've had 3' root stock and very seldom does anything come up from there.
Usually when you think it did, you can find another plant has changed growing direction and will kind of run over the other one.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: purple pickerel tuber question
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »
Aww too bad...I guess I'll just toss it then when I clean out the bucket later.  Thanks for posting Tim.  :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"