Author Topic: Goldie grows up in the pump filter.  (Read 2027 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Goldie grows up in the pump filter.
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »
this is really one for the books. i drained down one of my ponds and took the pump out and took the pre-filter apart to remove the pump and found a goldfish about 6 inches in length. the holes in the pre-filter are no more than 1/8 of an inch. so it must have gotten in there as a fry in early spring. it was a bit tattered, his fins were ragged but he looked ok when i put him into the pond. its amazing that he/she survived with the extreme turbulence and vibration that is in the filer. i assume he was always pinned against the pump inlet.  no pics, sorry. BTW, this is a very large pump with  a 1-1/2 inch outlet

lou

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Goldie grows up in the pump filter.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »
Wow, that's amazing. Poor guy. I bet he's glad to be out of there.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »
Free at last-----------Free at last O0

Amazing!

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:15:58 AM »
I also found a goldfish in my 100 gallon stock tank a few years ago. 

My skippy filter has cut up scrubber pads plus aquatic mint.  I drained the water and pulled out all of the mint and the pads.  I was scooping out the muck at the bottom with a kiddee snow shovel.  I noticed something wriggling in one of the shovelfuls.

Picked it up - was a 3" sarassa comet.  It must have been sucked up through the pump and lived in the swirling muck and darkness all summer.  Put it in the pond - still there - survived last year's mass fish kill (parasites).
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Mucky_Waters

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
With a perpetually hungry perch in my pond, the only way goldfish fry could survive is to escape while they are tiny via the skimmer and risk the spinning rotors of the pump and manage to get through the tangle of netting I use for bio-filter and into the small top pond that is free of any larger, hungry fish. And that's exactly what a couple little fry managed to do the summer before last, but I didn't notice them until early this spring when I decided to revamp the waterfall which required draining the upper pond of all water and removing any living thing.
Besides the two little 1/2 " goldfish I did find 3 frogs who decided to over winter in the upper pond rather than the larger lower pond. Despite the fact that the upper pond is only about 18" deep and developed close to 12" of ice over the winter, the frogs and 2 goldfish managed to survive till spring when I did the upper pond reno. I noticed the fish earlier, but only discover the frogs during the draining process which was done by me getting in pond with my rubber boots and bucketing the water out by hand. The frogs are luck I didn't step on them. I threw all the frogs and the 2 little goldies back into the lower pond. I know the frogs survived, because I saw them through out the summer, but I'm pretty sure the fate of the little baby goldfish was not so good. Likely they became a nice spring snack for the perch. It's kind of sad  :'( that they managed to make it through the pump and into the upper pond and survive the harsh winter in that tiny pond, only to be thrown once again into the jaws of the lower pond,,, but hey, that's life.  :-)~
I think the frogs chose the shallower upper pond to over winter rather than the larger lower pond because they knew there were no large fish or turtles to harass them while they slept the winter away.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:01:03 AM »
Tough little guy.  Must have come from good stock.  Did you run your pump 24/7?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
I've had three baby comet fry take that journey through the pump. They ended up in the large trough but one went back down to the stock tank where all the big fish are. I put the other two back in the stock tank later so the trough could be used for smaller fish like Rosey Reds.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »
Tough little guy.  Must have come from good stock.  Did you run your pump 24/7?

hi mikey, yes i run the pump continuously from mid april till mid november, non stop
bought the pump from gene, its a wonder.

lou

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:05:55 AM »
I can't imagine how any fish could withstand such a hostile environment for so many months.  That is astounding.  emm

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 09:26:34 AM »
Louis, I'll bet he thinks he's died & gone to Heaven!
I had one like that, though it wasn't as big. Poor little thing had zero fins left and his whole side was severely abraded. He completely healed after only a couple weeks in an aquarium. His fins took a little longer to grow back completely.

Mucky- "Despite the fact that the upper pond is only about 18" deep and developed close to 12" of ice over the winter, the frogs and 2 goldfish managed to survive till spring when I did the upper pond reno."

I have the same thing happen every year. Once the filtration gets turned off, the upper pond becomes pretty much a sewer. The leaves & muck stay there all winter under a foot of ice (or more). I'm always amazed at how much life is in there come spring.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
Another thing I forgot to mention before is that I "suspect" that eggs can pass through multi-layered filtration completely unharmed. Bottom drain >vortex> Mechanical brush filter> leaf basket> pump> skippy.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 10:18:21 AM »
WOW, what a tough little guy.   o(

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 11:24:33 AM »
I have found baby fish in my filters as well.  None were as large, however.  Still baffles me how they can survive that ordeal.  Tough little guys. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 09:23:55 AM »
Poor fishies, glad they all (most, anyway) ultimately survived.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"