Author Topic: advice for treating wakin for fungus  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Critterkeeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
advice for treating wakin for fungus
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
Hey all,
One of my wakin developed a fungal infection. There was a lot of stringy, cottony stuff sticking out from both sides of her body. I removed her from pond, put her in salted water, started treatment with fungal cure (acrifavine). I also started feeding medicated food. After full course of treatment, according to the directions, she is looking better, there is still some cottony stuff, but it isn't as stringy and it is much shorter. I am still keeping her in salted water and feeding med food. She is much more active and eating well. Should I treat her again? Try a different medication? I'm just not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any thoughts? I love my wakins and I would hate to lose her.
Thanks,

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: advice for treating wakin for fungus
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
What % of salt?

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:07:14 AM »
I am using aquarium salt. I followed the box. Two rounded tablespoons in 10 gallons.

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:10:23 AM »
Not sure if this will help at all, but here are some pics I took last night. She wasn't very cooperative about holding still :)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »
Your going to need to up the salt dose give one more 2 tablespoon today and one more tomorrow, also keep it warm. That is a very nice wakin, if you have someone to get antibiotics from to do dips with it would help. And keep giving it the antibiotic food. Is there a koi club anywhere by you? If so there might be a member that can come help you take care of you wakin, try looking them up and giving them a call.

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice. It means a lot that you like my wakin. I have drooled over yours more than once. :) Tell me, are all of your babies "pond raised"? I have to pull my eggs and separate them or they seem to get eaten. I have a 10 gallon with 4 day old fry right now. Would you happen to know of any good links, articles, books etc. on raising fry?
Thanks again for all your help.
Critterkeeper

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
I have 100 gal stock tanks with sponge filters and kiddy pools with airstones, I do water changes with pond water since I am on city water and it eats fry even with declor added.
I don't really know of any books about it, it has been advise from many people and a big learning curve.

Offline Critterkeeper

• Members
    • View Profile
was, advice for treating wakin for fungus, now raising fry
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 04:22:13 AM »
I am using pond water because I thought it would have more natural food sources for them at this young stage. Do you feed brine shrimp? I read somewhere that fry need live food to thrive. The last time I tried this, 2 years ago, I had them outside in a 150 gallon stock tank with plants and filter and they just didn't seem to grow very well. I lost quite a few when about an inch long. I frequently checked the water for ammonia and nitrates and it was fine. It was very discouraging. They are just starting to free swim now. Such cute little buggers!

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
I USE POND SALT AND MELAFIX...DOES WONDERS..........LORRAINE...OH AND I FEED THEM MEDICATED FOOD
lorraine

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: was, advice for treating wakin for fungus, now raising fry
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
I am using pond water because I thought it would have more natural food sources for them at this young stage. Do you feed brine shrimp? I read somewhere that fry need live food to thrive. The last time I tried this, 2 years ago, I had them outside in a 150 gallon stock tank with plants and filter and they just didn't seem to grow very well. I lost quite a few when about an inch long. I frequently checked the water for ammonia and nitrates and it was fine. It was very discouraging. They are just starting to free swim now. Such cute little buggers!
I have floating covered nets so I can put them in the big pond when they are that big to grow out or put them into a 500 gal. tank.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
Tracey have you used Minn Finn yet?
Mary

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
Not yet, I was a day late on the into sale elsewhere. There is a $35 dollar hazmat shipping fee now, plus the regular shipping I think. And the cost of the minn finn.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"