Author Topic: Need help with broken key and stuck key :(  (Read 2258 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need help with broken key and stuck key :(
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
I have 2 problems involving broken key in keylock and a stuck key in keylock:

1) We have a wedding display cabinet which has been converted to "husband's military model" display cabinet.  But I still keep all the wedding memorabilia in the bottom drawer of the display cabinet.  Well, he broke off the key in the display portion.  This same key opens the bottom drawer.  No spare key, and I cannot access the bottom drawer.  Didn't even tell me he broke it...

2) I have a mobile cabinet with the key hanging off the side so that I couldn't misplace it.  Its stuck in the keylock.  If I try to force it out it will probably break and all the drawers will be locked open or locked close (which is worse).  Spare key is bent, and I seem to recall that something about the lock assembly or key is such that it cannot be copied. If I can get it out of the lock somehow, I think I will just leave all the drawers open and deal with the drawers opening themselves when the unit is moved around.

lessons learned: never leave key in the keylock, as after 10yrs or so it probably rusts or something and gets stuck in the keylock.

Any advice for my 2 problems above?
Do I call a locksmith, never did that before, don't even know what it will cost to do that...  :(

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with broken key and stuck key :(
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »
Calling anybody to come to your house to do anything costs plenty, just to get them there. OK, Dh just broke the key off in the ignition of his antique truck with his knee, when he was in an accident. The body shop guys took a very thin blade knife and slipped it in a tiny bit alongside the key and began tipping the point, forcing outward on the key. Oh first they sprayed WD 40, or graphite might work too, in side, so it would slide easily. Also, a stiff needle might work. Maybe use two, one on one side and one on the other, pressing towards each other.
If that doesn't work, it would be cheaper to take your items to the locksmith probably, if you can.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:47 PM »
What about one of those long skinny sticks that have a strong magnet on the end?  Mechanics use them when they drop something in the engine. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Ohhh Jonna, we have one and I know right where it is. I bought about a half dozen of them at Farm and Fleet and gave them to the men in our family for Christmas a few years ago. It was cute though because the kids had more fun with them than the men. I would think that any place like NAPA would sell them.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
Most keys are brass and a magnet won't work but it's worth a try if you are uncertain of the metal. 

Is there enough room for using tweezers? 

Another method is to take a broken coping saw blade and after determining which way the key is oriented you will want to use the teeth of the coping saw blade with the teeth of the broken key.  Hopfully the teeth to teeth will grab and allow you to pull the broken key out. 

For the stuck key I would suggest WD40 or the graphite suggested above.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
Auto supply store also sell picks. they are like fine icepicks that are hooked or curved on the ends and come in a pack of several. Using two together should work but spray some graphite in the first, not a lot, just a tad.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »
Hey, thanks everyone - I got the broken key out!  @O@
I am thinking of crazy gluing the two halves together and getting the key copied so that I can open the display cabinet and also get into the bottom drawer.  Think it will work, or any better ideas?  I haven't attempted the stuck key yet in the mobile cabinet...maybe later.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »
The lock itself can be removed from the inside. Take it in to a locksmith and he can make a key for it for a small charge.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 06:09:31 AM »
What Bullfrog said--you'll get a better key taking the lock (or the key) to a locksmith than to a local WalMart or something like WalMart.  I've had several keys made at WalMart that don't work once I try them.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 06:24:39 AM »
Well good. Another thing I thought of that might pick out broken pieces is a dental tool.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
The lock itself can be removed from the inside. Take it in to a locksmith and he can make a key for it for a small charge.

How do I remove it from the inside though if the cabinet is locked closed?  The broken key was fished out, but the cabinet is still locked....

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
LOL. I would be talking to the lock people about this problem. You certainly aren't the first person to have a key break off like that. Hopefully they know things we don't about it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Often times those locks are real cheap and another key, similar in size, will work.  Doesn't every household have a drawer with a bunch of keys that we long ago forgot what they go to and we are afraid to toss out?   

Same thing goes for car keys as well.  A lady accidentally locked her keys in her Dodge Caravan and I used my key from my Dodge Caravan to open her door.  It took some wiggling, but it opened it.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 06:15:53 PM »
I can open our gun cabinet with a screwdriver. Real safe huh? We either bought gun locks or was given gun locks by our county and put them on each pistol or rifle or shotgun.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 05:58:46 AM »
Sorry, I thought that you got it open. Just call a locksmith and ask him if he can duplicate the key if you bring in both pieces. They really don't charge much for such a chore of coming out if you can't bring the cabinet in.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 06:50:40 AM »
I had to have a locksmith come out and rekey all of my doors when I broke up with a crazy woman once. It was worth every penny.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »
I live such a boring life.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
Boring can be good Esther, dating in your middle age can not be fun at times as some here can profess. I'm glad I found the one for me. I wonder how the lock is coming?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Hey, I dated in the middle age too or was it the middle ages? I was just turning 40 when the X left. I began dating and didn't realize that is what was happening, it had been so long. I thought Pete just wanted to talk to me. LOL.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"