Author Topic: I've adopted a young boy!  (Read 2436 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I've adopted a young boy!
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »
Ladies and gents, may I introduce you to....Mango!  o(:-)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I've adopted a young boy!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
Cute...Good luck with him..I have always wanted one but with 2 cats I'm afraid to get one
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »
Is this the one that was walking around on the patio...?

cute birdy....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »
My DD and I walked into a pet store Monday just to check out the bird food.  We haven't been in this store in forever.  We saw a sign over a cage with this beautiful lutino cockatiel sitting inside that said Adoption available for free.  DD and I stood there awwwing the cutie and wondering if the sign meant this bird or what.

Yepp.  This very young boy bird was given up by it's owners.  The store employees did not have any other info than that.  I guess the previous owners did not deserve this baby for not giving any info about anything.  >:( Ditto for the store.

The baby was not happy in the store cage and the employee kept saying it was not tame and bites.  He put the bird in a cardboard box for small animals.  When we brought him home he turned out to be a very nice bird.  Yes he was scared at first but he warmed up to us.  Also he loves our 13 year old Kiwi (female).  He follows her and mocks her movements.  He cries like a baby when he wants to hang with Kiwi or us.  He loves getting rubbed around his head and neck.  We've named him Mango (for the color).

Did we luck out or what!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
Michael you met Kiwi our 13 year old rescue (we paid to not have her euthanized since she was a runt).  She's not had to share her cage or schtuff with another bird for the past 3 years when our first female lutino, Daz-E, past away at the age of 14 years.  She is very happy with Mango to a certain point....trust issues.  :P

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Mango is a very fortunate bird and so is Kiwi. They are fortunate to have you guys as house mates and fortunate to have each other too. They just have to get to know each other.  I also would love one but, UM, just couldn't trust the cat. She brings in the remains of sparrows from time to time.

Years ago, my son had a cockatoo. That bird learned more words from me than he did from my son. I think he liked my high voice. He also learned things like the doorbell, the floor squeak above his cage, and the phone ringing. But when my son got married, the poor bird was being ignored and began to pull his feathers. I should have offered to take him back but I didn't. Eventually they gave him to my daughter in law's sister and I don't know what happened after that.

Does a cockatiel talk as much as a cockatoo?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
Thank you Freddie.  We've had birds for many years and the thing we worry about the most when we take them outside in the backyard are cats and hawks.  We've solved the cat problem I think but the big birds that are swooping in with all the nests and young birds in the trees around are a bit scary for Kiwi and us.

Thanks Esther!  We think we are lucky too.  We hope Mango will learn to talk.  Kiwi doesn't  :P but she understands certain words we use for food, get in, come on and many others.  Hopefully she doesn't teach Mango her bad traits.  We have them in their own cages for now to make sure they don't get each other sick (and learn bad habits).  ;)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »
What sweet birds!   o(:-)  And how lucky for them that you have love and compassion enough to adopt them!  I'd love to have some also, but of course the "cat" thing at my house totally prevents it... :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 03:55:57 PM »
Nice looking bird!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
I would like an aviary some day but my problem isn't cats or birds of prey. It's a wife that don't like putting birds in cages. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Scott, my birds only go in the cage for their safety.  Otherwise they roam inside and out (with us).  Not thrilled with the poopies indoors but at least the birds are happy.  Kiwi loves sitting on her cage during the day and goes inside it at night - on her own.  When we go to the yard she wants to follow us.  We've clipped her wings so she can only glide a short distance.  She has favorite areas in the yard she likes to sit either on her basket or perched higher on chairs etc.

Kiwi thinks she is like us.  She has most of her dinners with us, ie, she eats what we eat but in smaller quantities  ;D  Hopefully Mango can follow in her steps too.  So far he mimics her moves.  She is not amused.  ;)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:36 PM »
What a cutie. I have one just like him. His name is Daisy. Yeah Daisy is a he.   Was named before we found out he was a boy.  ::) He talks up a storm, and he also whistles tunes. Andy Griffith song is his best. He copied everything the other talker says and a few more.  He is very clumsy though and is always breaking feathers. I was told the Lutinos get hurt the easiest.  He doesn't fly well  even though he has full flight feathers. He just drops like a rock. I wished he realized that. Some day he's gonna plop too hard.  :'( He has the prettiest Mohawk when it's fully grown in.

I also have 4 others. One male that talks, and 3 females.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
Nice teil, we had several but the last one Phoenix flew out of the door one day when my wife opened it for a moment and it broke her heart. She raised large exotic birds for years and hand fed the babies.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline KatFish

• Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 06:05:55 AM »
Cuties.  I have a standard gray male named Tweek.  He 'talks' a lot and whistles up a storm.   o(:-)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »
Is it just the males that talk? Seems I have heard that. Doesn't make sense does it?

Offline KatFish

• Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
I've heard that too.  Maybe they need something to impress the ladies.  Mine does like to wolf-whistle and say pretty birdy  lol  One day I had him on the front porch with me and a teenaged girl goes walking by.  Just then Tweek let out one of his long wolf whistles and that girl looked at me like I was some crazy lady.   lol  Naughty birdy getting me in trouble  lol

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »
Yes it is mostly the males that talk. I've heard females may say a word or two, but the boys are the big talkers. Go figure? 

Both the boys are always trying to get the girls attention. They will wolf whistle and say " I love you gimme kiss" then make kissy noises. It's hilarious. The girls ignore them.  lol The one bird will call " Ginger " (the dog) and he loves to ride on her back, and she likes doing it. There's a biscuit in it for her.  O0

It's amazing sometimes their timing. A few times it's happened where I would walk thru the house not fully dressed and one of them would wolf whistle. Now he NEEDS his eyes examined.  lol

I also have 2 normal grays, a pied cinnamon, and I forget the other one.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »
BEAUTIFUL,AND HE LOOKS VERY HAPPY MOM!!! lorraine
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »
Your Daisy is beautiful Nancy!  So is the gray in the background.  My Daz-E was 14 when she just, literally, keeled over.  I think she may have laid too many eggs in the past few years of her life. 

I've hand fed 3 female cockatiels ever and none of them spoke a word but they understood our commands pretty well.  We just hope Mango will talk.  He still has the baby cry noise.  Never thought I would get another bird but couldn't pass up the chance of taking this beauty home.

Thanks Lorraine!  Mango has 2 mommies, DD and me.  o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"