Author Topic: What the ? and how do I fix it..  (Read 1940 times)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What the ? and how do I fix it..
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:04:27 AM »
This is showing up as the apostrophe in my email .. ’. I don't remember pushing anything I shouldn't have but it shows up in my MS Office Outlook emails. I've run the zone alert programs to look for viruses, spyware and such. People are starting to think I'm speaking in tongues  :o  Help!

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What the ? and how do I fix it..
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
Kay,
What font do you write your e-mails in? Did you recently change fonts and that's when the problem began? More info, please.

Keep Smilin'
John  :)

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:58:22 AM »
John,
  I write in Franklin Gothic Demi. I didn't notice it until I downloaded the new updates for Windows. I haven't changed anything in my email program for a long time. Should I deinstall the new updates and see if it changes? Thanks so much for the help.
Kay

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Is this showing up on your computer in e-mails that you receive from others or is it on e-mails they receive from you? Or both?

It is a "text style" translation problem somewhere in the chain of transfer. The problem is ... identifying where the breakdown occurs and what is missing.
"Life is hard;
                                    John Wayne

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »
I don't see it when I'm typing my email. The person I'm writing sees it and I can see it in my email quote when they respond to what I wrote.
I've tried the option to detect and repair but that didn't work. Should I reinstall the program maybe?

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »
Kay,
My wife has the same problem with e-mail to one of her friends. My best guess is that the recipient of your e-mail does not have "Franklin Gothic Demi" installed on their computer (i.e. doesn't use Word/Outlook and thus that font was never installed). When they receive your e-mail their program converts your e-mail to whatever their default font is and the code for an apostrophe in your font equals ’ in their default font. If it were me, I'd change my font to something universal (Times New Roman, for example), send them an e-mail as a test and see if that fixes it. If so, the easy solution would be to settle on a different font that you like.

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
"Life is hard;
                                    John Wayne

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »
Thanks John. Either that or the detect and repair did it after I rebooted. Whatever it was I really appreciate your help. Thank you!
 o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"