Author Topic: "Mike, Mike, Mike! Come look what I found in the family room!"  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just a few minutes ago I was sitting at the computer when I hear the fetching one call out from another part of the house, "Mike, Mike, Mike!  Come look what I found in the family room!"  From her tone of voice I knew she was excited and I quickly hustled into the family room where I saw this.

This past Saturday the fetching Mrs. Mikey was in the backyard helping me fold up a tarp that had been out there for several weeks covering some storage boxes.  While folding up the tarp she noticed a Monarch crystalis attached to the tarp.  I peeled off the crystalis and she got a wooden skewer and used cellophane tape to attach the crystalis to the skewer.  She then hung the skewer across the jar opening and left it in the family room.  She was startled and excited to see the Monarch had hatched out so quickly.

She took it outside and hung the wooden skewer between some branches of a plant.  The Monarch will hang here there drying out and pumping its wings until it is strong enough to fly away.  I just went outside and checked and it was still hanging there and as I was watching another Monarch flew by and landed on a nearby milkweed flower.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: "Mike, Mike, Mike! Come look what I found in the family room!"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
kewl....so much better than the stinkin moths that I find hanging around here!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
Cool!  I need to plant some milkweed, we don't get many monarchs in our yard, despite the massive perrenial gardens I have.  I must have 20 butterfly bushes alone.  We get every butterfly imaginable, but rarely monarchs.  Supposedly monarchs love milkweed.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
Beautiful!  Maybe he (she?) will learn from the other butterfly where the good nectar is  o(:-)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »
Monarchs lay their eggs on milkweed,....but only on the very small baby plants, they eat the large plants but do not lay eggs on them
Milkweed in bloom is very sweet and attracts ants like crazy which in turn eat the monarch eggs. The monarch caterpillars eat the large flowering milkweed until they get a certain size and then find a place to hang in order to become the chrysalis. The life span of an adult monarch is about 2 weeks

The ones that migrate in the fall to Mexico are the last brood of the season and they are actually smaller then normal and thus better suited to migrate long distances. The monarchs that return in the spring are a new batch, born on their wintering grounds down south. On a pond tour last weekend, one of the homeowners was really into this and she showed us her conservatory where she raises monarchs to release in the wild.
 She had them in every aspect of their life from eggs to caterpillars of all sizes to about a dozen chrysalises hanging from everywhere. In the wild monarch survival rate is about 10%. She averages 90%
 Here is what I found most fascinating: She "tags the last brood of the year with a little sticker that goes on it's wing and keeps records of whether it is male or female then releases them to the wild.
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
How exciting!  Very cool to save the crystalis.  So beautiful.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
That is too cool!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »
Barb: If you want milkweed seeds for planting next year let me know.  Every day another pod pops open and the seeds float off.  The type I have is Asclepia curassavica and hardy for zones 8b-11.  It's a short lived perennial here, good for about 3 years before I pull it out.

Oh I nearly forgot, she obviously flew off.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:52:28 PM »
Mikey, that is awesome and the pics too!!!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:45 AM »
Great pictures Mike, what kind of camera do you use?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:06 AM »
Barb: If you want milkweed seeds for planting next year let me know.  Every day another pod pops open and the seeds float off.  The type I have is Asclepia curassavica and hardy for zones 8b-11.  It's a short lived perennial here, good for about 3 years before I pull it out.

Oh I nearly forgot, she obviously flew off.

That's very kind of you, thanks!  Unfortunately, I'm in zone 6.   Can I just save the seeds each year and plant them as annuals?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:19:37 AM »
Wonder if it matters which milkweed plant they lay their eggs on in what state. We have milkweed plants in Michigan but must be a different variety. We also have Monarch butterflies.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 06:34:28 AM »
Yes, there must be different varieties.  I know there are perrenial milkweed plants growing here in Ct. 

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »
Barb: You can try them as annuals and see what happens.  PM me your address and I will collect some seeds and mail them to you.

Bullfrog: The camera is a Panasonic DMC-FZ8.  The only thing I don't like about the camera is that to use the 12x optical zoom I need to be about 6' away from the target. 

Until today I never have used the motion picture feature nor had I ever uploaded anything to YouTube.  This morning I took footage of a couple of Monarchs.  Sorry about the talk radio noise in the background.  I didn't think it would pick up the radio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfJFT1Q9XvM

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »
We have a couple of milkweeds in our yard...They are referred to as "swamp milkweed" or butterfly weed. There also is a "common milkweed" that grows in the ditches and edges of farmers fields around here
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"