Author Topic: Too many lily pads on top of pond?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Too many lily pads on top of pond?
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
I have so many lily pads floating on top of my pond I am now wondering if my fish have enough space to breath and get enough oxygen. Is this a problem? They cover like 3/4 of the pond.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Too many lily pads on top of pond?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
Yes.  I have some koi that have been at the top of the pond in the early mornings kind of gasping for air by the filter spout. The oxygen level is low in the night and early mornings in ponds. I got in the pond and picked a bunch of leaves off and added a big spout before I loose any of those koi. I have some big ones in there.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
Good question.  My lily pond is also full of fancy goldies like shubs and orandas.  The pads cover almost 90+% of the surface.  I have bio-filtering and a high change over rate.  Fishies look fine and only come to the top when I approach the pond.

Sure would like to know an answer.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
As I asked in another thread... what does lily pad coverage on the water's surface have to do with oxygen in the water?  Don't plants HELP put oxygen IN to the water?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
I do not think lily pad coverage reduces oxygen or harms fish.

Heat, shallow water and not enough aeration can cause them to gasp at the surface and the biggest ones will die if the situation isn't corrected.

Waterlilies actually cool the water by shading it. Koi and goldfish are both cool water fish that benefit from deep cool ponds. They are not tropical fish that need warm shallow ponds.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
As I asked in another thread... what does lily pad coverage on the water's surface have to do with oxygen in the water?  Don't plants HELP put oxygen IN to the water?

I was told that plants help put oxygen during the day but they take it away at night.  :(
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:42 AM »
My lily ponds have about 90 or more percent coverage but I do run air stones and/or pumps in them for the fish.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:31:09 AM »
any plant in the water puts off O2 during the day...but, takes it at night and on cloudy days...then top that off with hot water not holding enough O2...and it can spell disaster pretty quick..I always up the air into the ponds when the weather gets hot either by more aeration or airstones.....if you are noticing them gasping at the top of the water or congregating right under the falls at night and in the morning then you probably need to add more aeration to the water....they say 60% coverage but, I have one I keep about 80% coverage and its fine....but, I do have plenty of 02 in the water....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »

My pond always has close to 100% plant coverage every growing season and I've never had gaspers or losses. DH gets up early for work and would see them, he knows what they look like. We had some in a bucket once that were doing it.

We had record high temps the last two weeks but we do run a waterfall 24/7/365.

IF I lived in part of the country that is hot on a routine basis I would not have a pond less than 3' deep if I was going to have fish because of the water heating issue.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
Well then I think I'm ok as I have a waterfall that runs straight down hard into the pond and my pond is over 3 ft deep and I live in cool Washington. I had a fish die during the hot spell and was wondering if that is why it died. But who knows. Is there a problem w/ just letting the lily pads deteriorate and clean the filter and change some water now and then and then when they are all done just cleaning them out at the end of the season in the fall?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »
it is hot here too. never a gasper ever.  My pond is a mere 24 inches.  I didn't know much when I built it.
If I could do it over it would be bigger, deeper and NO shelves!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »
Waterlilies are neutral when it comes to adding or taking away oxygen and CO2 in a pond.  Once the pads reach the surface, their primary transpiration takes place with the atmosphere.  This is much more efficient for plants as CO2 (raw material for photosynthesis) is much more available to the plant in the atmosphere than in the water.  That is one of the reasons that they grow much faster once the first pad reaches the surface in the spring.  Submersed plants like anacharis and most alga are the ones that contribute oxygen to the water during the day and CO2 at night.

The way they do help is by shading the pond.  The shade cast by the leaves keeps temps lower, and cooler water is capable of holding more oxygen.

Steve

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 07:39:21 AM »
 {:-P;;  The biggest problem with too large a coverage of pads is that you can't see the fish as well to recognize that they are in distress   {:-P;;

I know this because...I had about 95% coverage and lost 1 fish before I realized I had a problem.  I cut everything back and added an airstone and the fish look much better.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 05:56:05 PM »
Thanks Steve that is good to know. I'm learning something new here everyday.
Sue you are right about not seeing the fish. I found one floating dead under a lily pad and if I wouldn't have been trying to push the pads back down into the pond off the rocks I would have never seen it. Now I am wondering if there are anymore dead in there. I think I need to get a lot of the old yellow pads outta there and that would help. They are going to start rotting in there soon and then I will have a mess.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"