Author Topic: what kind of biofilter media is best?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline LynnKLea

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
what kind of biofilter media is best?
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:22 AM »
Please tell me of a biofilter media works well, that is economical as well.  My pond holds 4,000 gallons of water & is 14' x 20' . I'm considering bioballs or poly strapping material or Salvio springflo bio filter.  Also where is the best company to purchase it from?   Thanks,   Lynn

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: what kind of biofilter media is best?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »
If your wanting to go economical...I've heard of alot of people using pvc shavings...all you need is pvc and someone with a Lathe....I've heard good things on springflo to....Everyone who has them has told me the LOVE thier bioballs...Lava rock is great for a smaller pond but,really difficult for a larger one....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
You can wad up black nylon bird netting from Home Depot, it is cheap! You can also use nylon scrubbies for doing the dishes from the dollar store.

I used lava rock for years and it worked great but it is so heavy to lift out and hose off if it clogs.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
All the above and I use tuille (sp?) I got from Joann's Fabric....  Probably 75 yards of it in my garbage can filters... Works great...  And it goes on sale often...  Going on 5 years and no deterioration...

]
Have to say the salesclerks looked at me a little weird...!!

Dave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:53:23 AM by finnpond »

Offline mondotomhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
Ohhhh, FinnPond!  What an absolutely great idea.  My Savio waterfall filter came with long, long, thin, green plastic string-like things which is all I've ever used.  That tulle stuff would be so much easier to deal with.     I'll be making a trip to Joann's real soon ;)

Offline reptilegrrl

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
I use floor-scrubbing pads, but if I had it to do again I might use nylon pot scrubbers. The floor-scrubbing pads are very dense, but they shrank a bit over the years. 

I wouldn't buy any designated filter material, like bioballs... it's just not worth it, imo. Superior materials can be had more cheaply.

My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »
Commercial biofilter media is expensive, far more expensive, in my opinion, than it should be. The media chosen must allow free flow of water and not become easily clogged, be easy to clean when necessary, and be CHEAP. In this filter design I have used 200 psi ¾ inch pvc pipe, cut into 1 inch pieces. While cutting a 10 foot piece of PVC pipe into 120 pieces can produce a few blisters, it is a relatively cheap way to make bio media. I accomplish this task using a miter saw.  Cost is about $15.00 a cubic foot, as it takes eleven 10 foot pieces of 200 psi 3/4 pvc to make a cubic foot of media. Per my calculations, one cubic foot of such pvc pieces provides 56 square feet of bio film area.  This comes to 3.73 square feet of surface area per dollar.  For comparison with commercial bio media, Bio-Barrels are available that provide from 26 ft2 to 64 ft2 per ft3 at a cost range of from $31 to $55 (average about 1 square foot per dollar). Commercially available Bio Balls provide from 98 ft2 to 160 f2 per ft3 for a cost range from $26 to $39 (averaging about 4 square feet of surface per dollar).  The commercial bio Balls provide about the same surface area per dollar than the pvc in a smaller package, but they are harder to clean than the pvc.
Here are three bags of the filter medial made up of 1" pieces of 3/4 inch 200 psi pvc pipe. Be sure to rinse the media before installing.

Putting the pvc pieces in nylon bags makes them easy to handle, easy to remove, and easy to clean when necessary.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
Dave, here in my neighborhood, the bars are really big on drag shows.  Trust me, no sales clerk would look at you twice if you asked for 75 yards of shocking pink tuille.   ::)

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »
Congrats on turning 61 Dave.  @O@ I can relate to  where you are coming from!
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »
I made a big dip net with that stuff...great for catching small fish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"