Author Topic: So, Tell Me How You Really Feel About Rocks!  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So, Tell Me How You Really Feel About Rocks!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
Thanks for asking Joyce.  I'm doing fine.  Still into ponding.  I wasn't sure I could do it alone, dh passed away 18 months ago, but, so far I'm able to do everything, just takes longer. 

Yes, Steve, BIG is the word.  I had one before this, Sheba, and fell in love with the breed so I just had to get Jesse.  Jesse is 11 now. 

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
Jane:

Keep on keeping on!  Keep the animals happy, and you will be too. I am sure you have adapted in a year and a half, but prayers your way anyway!

Post pics of your pond and I will show you where to put rocks-eventually I am going to get someone to fight me over this. I think the NO ROCK people are on vacation...

Steve

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »
Steve, nobody on AP fights.  For proof, just go to the "Chit Chat" forum.

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
Yeah,all the excitement over there was the genesis of this thread. The consensus was that a good rock pond thread would eat up everyone's nervous energy. My thread has been an utter failure by that measure...Jerry, I will try harder next time-guess we have to talk about bottom drains now!

Steve

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
All I know is that I have crud on the bottom of my liner all the time that I scoop out every, what, 3-4 days. If I had rocks, how on earth would I get it out? I have leaves, old lily pads and blossoms that settle to the bottom. I walk in my pond to clip pads off and that wouldn't work. What happens to the stuff that sinks to the bottom and settles between the rocks?

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »
Thanks, Esther!  Now we can get going!  Kidding, of course, and no smileys on my Blackberry!

My theory is that the same as in aquaria, the gravel houses bacteria that utilize the wastes, and as long as they are AEROBIC, the water quality can remain high. The key is that the gravel layer stay aerobic. The way I handle that is by making sure flow rates are high (16,000 gph in my case) and, similar to my planted aquarium, by rooting extensive plantings in the gravel. This is most important in the lowest areas. My popnd is 4.5 feet at its deepest, and I have found that hardy lilies will acclimate to that depth, and the "anacharis" type plants love it. My koi tear into this stuff, but not faster than it grows!

I do once yearly cleanouts, totally draining the ponds, and I am amazed at how little mulm is in there each spring. And I feed 40 pounds of food a month during the summer to my gluttonous pigs!

Steve

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
I have very little, if any, mulm on the bottom of my liner-only pond.  I have no idea why not, because there is a Live Oak tree directly overhead, plus pine trees dropping needles, and hornwort that the koi tear to shreds. 

Or maybe either the fish eat the leaves (doubtfull) or it discintigrates and gets sucked through the pump into the filter.  I do use Clarity Max, and that's supposed to get solids to drop to the bottom, for the filter to take care of.

Steve, got a pic of those pigs?

Also, what is your anachris rooted in?

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
Julles

I have lots of pics, but on my Blackberry until tomorrow. I will try to post a few then. The anacharis (actually elodea) is rooted directly in a 2-3 inch layer of gravel on the bottom. I did trim last weekend and pulled out over three three gallon buckets of the elodea for the compost pile.

Watch for some pics tomorrow!

Steve

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »
Lovely pics and pond. We all pond in our own ways with our own goals and conditions.  I am glad that yours is working out so well and gives you so much enjoyment.  Pond On!!   @O@    O0

The way I really feel about rocks is that I am sick to death of the the bickering, snide comments and general negative atmosphere cause by the topic and ensuing melee.  I truly believe that somewhere there is an internet troll that goes forum to forum asking pond/rock questions  LOL

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 05:39:39 AM »
Jennie - your avitar - is that a shubunkin from your pond?  The spotting is really spectacular.  Got any larger pics?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:35 AM »
Yeah,all the excitement over there was the genesis of this thread. The consensus was that a good rock pond thread would eat up everyone's nervous energy. My thread has been an utter failure by that measure...Jerry, I will try harder next time-  guess we have to talk about bottom drains now!

Steve
Ok now your pushin it  ;)....(I really hope you know I'm just messin' with you) even though I'm a no rock and bd kind a girl  ;)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 07:28:03 AM »
We are in this to have fun, right Lawanna?  Ponding and this forum are supposed to be stress relievers!  I know that when I have my snorkle and mask on, and the koi are staring at me like I am some kind of idiot, I forget all about my manufacturing, marketing and finance issues. I just worry about why that pea-brained fish is looking at me like she is!

Steve

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
Steve ain't nothin more relaxing than sitting at the edge of the pond and watchin' my big girl do her submarine rise  o(:-)....my koi and watergarden forums are usually the first thing I do every morning and the last thing I do every night....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
I also have anacharis planted directly into the rocks on the bottom of my pond. I have parrot's feather, aquatic forget me not, water celery and mare's tail and golden club all planted in the rocks on the bottom of the shallow end. They've grown so much over the years that there is barely any open water left there because of all the roots and stems but that is OK with me.

I don't know what happens to the mulm, I'm not removing it and the pond hasn't filled up with it either. Somehow it is breaking down.

I've had maybe four dead fish with no predator wounds in twelve years. One when Mikey was here, LOL the only time I was green was when Debbie (Scooter) was here. I had pulled out almost all that anacharis the previous fall. Haven't done that again.

Frankly, I am so ADD and horrible about getting anything finished and always have too much to do that if I had to do as much maintenance on my ponds as some do on theirs I would not pond. I'm sooo glad that I don't have to do so much work for whatever reason and that my ponds are a huge source of happiness for me. Unless a raccoon comes by.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
I was standing in my pond, trimming spent blooms and pads when a friend that is staying with me came out.  She said something about this is why she would never have a pond, it was too much work.  I couldn't believe it.  I told her I was standing in cool water on a hot day with colorful fish and flowers all around me - it doesn't get any better than this.   

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »
Leeanne and Jonna:

I have one word for both of you...

EXACTLY

Your experiences are much like mine. I know of many who will say ponds should not have plants or rocks/gravel, but I guess we hit the SWEET SPOT!

Steve

Offline Jane

• Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
Steve, thanks for the prayers and also for the offer to arrange rocks for me.  I think I'll turn down the rocks offer.  I've had too  many crushed fingers and toes arranging the rocks my dear dh "rescued" from the sides of highways to relocate to our pond.  ::)  By "rescued" I mean stopping the van on the side of the road where the highway dept had just put new rocks, raising the hood of the van as if he had car trouble, opening the back doors of the van and "rescuing" as many rocks as he physically could.  {:-P;;

Another reason I don't want rocks is, ready for this????.......I have pea gravel on the bottom of one of my ponds.  I know, a highly debatable subject. I didn't know any better.  I must say my water is crystal clear, and the only things I add to my ponds are chlorine remover and ph pills and I haven't lost a fish since I started my ponds 9 years ago except to my dreaded enemy, the egret.  >:(  Many of my koi are easily 18" long.

Here are my 2 connected ponds.  There is actually a small 3rd one not pictured I had for a turtle till the ungrateful critter left for greener pastures.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »
I know what you mean, Jonna.  One of my friends said something about me "always complaining" about working on the ponds.  I'm, like, whaaaat?  Since when did saying you're going to work in the yard become complaining?  To me, it's enjoyable. 

When I want to, I can clean both turtle ponds and do maintenance on the koi pond and filter in an hour.  But I'd rather stretch it out, and spend more time outside.  If I didn't have to work on Sunday, I'd devote the entire day to yard work.

Another friend was giving a talk to the Native Plant Society, and he mentioned going outside every morning to water his plants.  A gal in the audience began really poo-pooing "all this work and commitment and waste if valuable time."  People who don't garden just don't get it, that people who LIKE to garden LIKE to spend time doing all the various tasks.   

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Jane:

How does that saying go?  "If you love something, let it go if it comes back" la de dah.  I think we have all had the perfect home for turtles or frogs (in our minds, anyway) and they up and leave and never return.  Guess love of cold-blooded creatures is one-way only!

And that pond is gorgeous!  I have been keeping up on my phone, and it shows no photos, so I have just seen your post.  I would have thought you were in SOCAL or south Fla, it looks so tropical.  And here you are right here with me in NC!  (Except I am in NY now missing my fish and sitting in my hotel room  :'()  I can picture many an evening or morning sitting on that beautiful bench.  And gravel, I am in LOVE  o(:-)!!!  Here are some more pics of mine; not up to your standards, but I have lots of fun with it!!   O0

Notice the nasty, disgusting gravel:

The small falls:

Just making sure you were paying attention!! lol

A June 08 spawn, now about 12":

Feeding frenzy:

Resident monsters and some of last year's spawn.  The babies average about a foot in length now, and are the results of a final cull down from about 100 babies.  Some are pretty decent showa, sanke, kohaku and maybe a nice shiro utsuri one day.  We will see.  The biggest of the adults is the kikokuryu butterfly in the center, she is the grandmammy dragon!   @O@:

More to come!

Steve

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:37:42 PM by kitfoxdrvr »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
Steve, how did you take the underwater photos?

Jane, I never thought of lifting my hood like I had car trouble to rescue rocks or plants by the side of the road. LOL

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »
Steve, how did you take the underwater photos?

Jane, I never thought of lifting my hood like I had car trouble to rescue rocks or plants by the side of the road. LOL

Pretty neat trick by Jane, huh?  I might have to use that some time!!!   O0 {-)

I do some whitewater kayaking, and I bought a Pentax W60 a while back to use.  It is waterproof down to 10 meters, IIRC, and takes better pics underwater than I am capable of demonstrating!   o(:-)  I snorkel regularly in the pond, and take this camera in with me to document pattern changes and condition.  And, of course, to get pics to post here!!!   @O@

Steve

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 09:21:18 PM »
Ponding and this forum are supposed to be stress relievers!
  O0 NATURALLY!!!!!!!

Took a walk along the creek and OMG!!!!!  I see rocks in the creek along the whole area!!!!  :o :o :o  Mother Nature knows what she's a doing.  Doesn't she?!  :D

You almost got me with Niagara Falls  ;D

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
Every creek and natural body of water here in Western Oregon is certainly rocky. I know some parts of the country have natural water with grassy edges but not here. Rocks rocks and more rocks.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
Jennie - your avitar - is that a shubunkin from your pond?  The spotting is really spectacular.  Got any larger pics?

Yep Julles.  That is a shub from my pond.  I have had if for abou 10yrs.  I love shubs and this one has gotten big!  I have some smaller ones also.  I had 3 original shubs (one was my all-time favorite fish), but 2 disappeared this winter.  I have no idea what happened, as no bodies were found (and they were sizeable fish).  Not sure I have any bigger pics, and none would be very current.  That pic is several yrs old.  But I will look.  {:-P;;

Jane, I am so sorry to hear about your DH.  But I am glad that you have cool water to stand in, flowers to bloom and deadhead, and fishes to surround you while you do it.  Your ponds look like a paradise.  After I am done 'squatting' at Tracey's house and being her fish wrangler,  can I come and take my R&R at yours! 

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »
Jane, that 'hood up' idea is awesome.  @O@
I'm going to use that!    O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"