Author Topic: Thank you Kay! The plecos are eating squash!  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Thank you Kay! The plecos are eating squash!
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
I took Kay's suggestion and microwaved slices of squash and put them in the pond for the plecos.  I was amazed at how fast they found it, they are usually really slow fish.  It floats so I stuck it under a rock in one pond and tried to weight it down with one in the other.  The plecos in both ponds got it loose and glued themselves to it until it looked like lace. 

I tried to get a pic of the one in the inside pond but even after turning off the pump the water reflection was difficult.  Here's the best ones I got.

Here he is upside down locked onto the squash that is stuck under a rock. 

Here, I've disturbed him trying to get the other half of the squash out of the rock and he's giving me the stink eye.

The Mollies and the Cichlids are eating it also, they aren't as interested though and the pleco just moves them out of the way.  I've never seen them be that assertive.    I was worried that they weren't getting enough to eat since there is very little algae.  The one inside was becoming a very golden color and I thought that might be illness and not a color change.  He's looking more normal to me now, perhaps it was the light.  I just feel better that I can put something in there they will eat. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you Kay! The plecos are eating squash!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
Oh!  What we learn from each other is invaluable.  Cute pleco even with a stink eye!  ;D

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
 lol  Stink eye indeed!  AND another way to get rid of the blessings of zucchini squash--too bad I don't have any plecos!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
Your welcome Jonna. My goldfish and koi eat it too. Love your pleco's. They will get large won't they? I love my bristlenose pleco's. The males are so cute with their bristles on their face. There are so many species, incredible critters.
Kay

Offline mondotomhead

• Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »
Stink Eye.  To funny!  When you look at him again it really does look like he is  :)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
Yea, I think he just wanted me to go away so he could eat the rest of the squash.  They do get large, this one I bought and he is only about 5" long but the other 2 in the outside pond are about 8" and I got them from a friend because they were getting too large for her small pond.  I think they can get up to a foot long.  There's plenty of room for them but perhaps not enough algae so I'm happy to be supplementing their food. 

I remember the zucchini months up north when everyone was trying to give it away and no one wanted to eat another bite.  Good idea to grow it as fish food. 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
Oh, I just wanna scratch that cute little belly!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"