Author Topic: What are your other crafty hobbies?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What are your other crafty hobbies?
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Besides all the maintenace & things you must do with your pond(s), what other hobbies/crafts do you do?

I make Dawn doll (from the early 1970s) clothes to keep & to sell.  I used to make a lot of quilts & quilt them, but haven't done much in the last couple of years.  Also used to do a lot of machine embroidery but since no one in my family really appreciates it I don't do it anymore.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What are your other crafty hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
I work with wood. love taking a simple piece of lumber and making something smooth, dark and beautiful out of it. I want a pottery wheel and I'm looking into that now.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
Too funny, Kat - just yesterday I almost posted the same thread!

I love to do things with my hands, and to create things.  Other than working in the yard, I like to tinker around the house.  Have installed flooring, crown molding, electrical, plumbing, and all that sort of thing.

Re crafts, I get on ribs for one thing, and do it for months and months.  Recently it was those reuseable shopping bags.  Then knitting looong skinnnny scarves (still have a couple in the works on my kitchen counter).  Currently I'm into beading - Esther posted a picture of the bookmarks I've been making.  I also make bookmarks out of the back bindings of old books and decorative paper. 

This week, I've taken off work Thurs, Fri, & Sat to work on my elf doors.  (Just Google "elf doors" or "fairy doors" to get an idea.)  I have cut, sanded, and wood burned 100 of them, and now need to sit down and stain them, then attach the decorative doo-dads that will make them cute - windows from found objects, beads for door knobs, hinges off old trinket boxes, etc. 

All this stuff I hope to sell at an upcoming craft fair.  If not, well, then I've sure invested a ton of time and money on my hobbies.  But they're tons of fun, and I enjoy them.

The down side is, the house is positivly strewn with yarn, beads, tools, you name it.  You can't even walk through the TV room, with all the beading stuff all over the floor. Good thing I live alone.  No other soul would put up with the mess.  And I get so wrapped up that I forget how much time I've spent.  One time, I was working late at night and kept saying, "Just this one more, then I'll go to bed."  Well, I heard a sound from the bedroom, and it was my alarm clock!  I had worked straight through from about 7:00 pm 'til 4:30 in the morning!!

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
I like to paint in oils and DH likes to make military dioramas.  Between the decorations that I buy and my paintings, there is no available wall space to put up anymore, so I've had to stop painting as I am out of space for storage.  I only paint now when a friend of mine or co-worker asks me to do something for their baby shower, house warming, wedding gift, etc...but its very stressful to have to paint for an "occasion" with an attached "deadline".  Takes all the fun out of it. DH and I would love to attend ceramics classes, although I think he is better than me at it.  Its just that again, we have NO SPACE to display them.  Apparently I am queen of "nick-nacks" and "we don't need anymore decorations"...

I think that I am too sensitive to sell any of my artwork at fairs or farmers markets here.  I painted something for my parent's house after my Mom asked me to.  She even requested certain colors too.  She had it hung up in the main hallway for a couple years and then oneday it disappeared from that spot to be replaced by a piece that I did that I absolutely hate (and don't know why I ever gave it to her).  I later found the painting that I so painstakingly made for her at her request hanging in the little used bathroom in the garage  >:( I was mad and upset.  Like I said too sensitive...
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »
My other hobbies are woodworking and electronic circuits. It's obvious that my woodworking has been included in my ponding hobby but there are some things that I do with wood that is not pond related. I've built bookshelves, storage cabinets, and base cabinets. I have also built a table and display cabinets. One day, I'll find a way to bring electronics into ponding. Right now, any circuit that I might be able to use to control a robot interests me. I do have an associates degree in electronics.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
I paint.

My bedroom is now red.   @O@

Wife hates it.   :'(

I paint.

It will be gray this fall... lol

i am not very artistic.   >:(-

Steve

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
My other hobbies are woodworking and electronic circuits. It's obvious that my woodworking has been included in my ponding hobby but there are some things that I do with wood that is not pond related. I've built bookshelves, storage cabinets, and base cabinets. I have also built a table and display cabinets. One day, I'll find a way to bring electronics into ponding. Right now, any circuit that I might be able to use to control a robot interests me. I do have an associates degree in electronics.

No way that is my major at college.....I am gonna be an electronic engineer or however it its spell..
But yeah, I'm gonna start my third year of college this monday.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:29:04 PM by HOWELL »
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:34:18 AM »
I cross-stitch. It's not as easy since I got bi-focals, though.  ::) It makes my neck sore!!  lol  @O@  :D
Becky

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
I never manage to finish any craft projects so I try not to start them.  :-\ 

As a former floral designer I am artistic but there are half finished projects tucked in various closets and the attic. I've had a container and a few stems of silk flowers being shoved around for two years. I should be used to being so ADD by now but I think the older I get, the more it bothers me.

I envy those who use their creative talents :) no matter what they are.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »
I like to sew.
Anything from curtains to clothes.

I also make hypertufa planters.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
Besides all the maintenace & things you must do with your pond(s), what other hobbies/crafts do you do?

I make Dawn doll (from the early 1970s) clothes to keep & to sell.  I used to make a lot of quilts & quilt them, but haven't done much in the last couple of years.  Also used to do a lot of machine embroidery but since no one in my family really appreciates it I don't do it anymore.

I appreciate it! You're the best!

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
internet forums  @O@ gardening, sculpey clay, decoupage, embroidery and any craft I can do in under an hour

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
Honestly I love to do so many crafts.  It all depends on the season, location, mood and time.  I knit or crochet during cold weather, indoors enjoy sewing & quilt for the home but I hate to mend, love waterpainting in Big Bear, and making my outdoors another room of my house. 

Time is whizzing by........

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
I do no crafts. ESTHER does tho. Where are you?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
Does anyone else work with clay and have a pottery wheel? I have Googled the plans to make one and I'm pretty handy so I'm thinking about making one.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
i cross stitch,my job is making teeth..not dentures but crown and bridges out of porcelain,my BF has a Harley and i was raised on motorcycles so i love to ride,and all my animals,thats my hobbies... lorraine
lorraine

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
I crochet in the winter months...also like to do anything crafty---just don't have much time to do much anything crafty....I've also had alot of fun redoing our little house--when it was first built it was a  one room church...then someone made a little house out of it adding one room at a time...of course since its old and built one room at a time--It makes it a bit more difficult when working on it....nothing is ever square or even  >:(-....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »
I just started classes for weaving baskets.  My first class was so much easier than I ever dreamed.......came home after just four hours with a beautiful basket.

I bought a rug loom this past winter and weave rag rugs.  I also love to make quilts.  Do some sewing, crocheting, knitting, and embroidery (tried counted cross-stitch, don't have the patience).  Hubby does woodworking.  Julles, I have to show him those elf doors!!!!!!!!.  Would love to see some pics of yours.

Took some painting classes a couple years ago and made a lot of gardening things, flower pots, watering cans, signs, dead-head bucket.

Kat, when I was a teenager I made Barbie doll clothes and sold them.  I sold a lot of them and would you believe don't have one single thing that I made.  My next new hobby will be tatting.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »

No way that is my major at college.....I am gonna be an electronic engineer or however it its spell..

Yes way, Howell. I already knew a lot about electronics before I took the two year course thanks to Radio Shack. Problem is, there are very few eletronic jobs in this area. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

Yes way, Howell. I already knew a lot about electronics before I took the two year course thanks to Radio Shack. Problem is, there are very few eletronic jobs in this area. :(

Yes way...I love electronics....hope there were more electronic jobs up there seriously..       
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
Lawanna, I'd love to see a pic of your converted church/home.  I have friends who turned one into a funeral chapel, but that's a more typical modification.  Another place turned one into a cute shop, and later it became a restaurant.

I attended a Pinot & Picasso class - one of those places where you bring your own wine, and they give you a painting class.  Even though I have a fair amoung of artistic talent, it turned out pretty - crappy.   :(  But the, after the first two glasses of wine, you really don't care mucy.  I gave it away on Freecycle, most likely to be painted over.

Once I was going on about my "crafts" to some friends.  They admit they have no creative inclination at all.  The gal's husband overheard me, and he thought I was teaching his wife how to do "crack."    :o

Offline pondlady

• Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
I like to make new stuff out of old stuff or recycle them to different things. Like bugs out of floating lights that quit working.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 06:26:05 AM »
Pond Lady, those are DARLING!  What kind of paint did you use?  Are they weather-proof?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
Lawanna, I'd love to see a pic of your converted church/home.  I have friends who turned one into a funeral chapel, but that's a more typical modification.  Another place turned one into a cute shop, and later it became a restaurant.

Julles really its nothing to look at...just looks like a little house---when I say little ---its little...especially the  part that used to be a one room church---my living room and bedroom only have 7' ceilings and my door ways are only about 6'-my hubby has to duck abit to go thru them...I did think it was neat while we were redoing the kitchen that we found where the old chimeny was--wish they had left it...I still have the living room and computer room to redo and alot of outside work...but,hopefully in a few years we'll get that...right now we are working on a new koi pond and heaven knows that thing is sucking up the $$....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline pondlady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 07:58:25 AM »
I used a red exterior spray paint over a black primer first then I got out my acrylic patio paints and hand did the rest then I seal coated it with an auto clear coat. The big one is an old wok my mother had. I used rustolium paint and the rest jus like the little ones. They are in the shade to keep the sun from fadding them to fast.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
Cuckoo clock repair and restoration is one of my hobbies and I wish I had more time to do it and a workshop to do it in.
Right now I have a bunch of clocks in storage that I should fix and re-sell on eBay.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
I make jewelry and am a colored-pencil artist.  Everything has taken a back seat lately....man I need some "alone" time!   ;) 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
I like to bead with the teeny tiny  delica beads. (you may have seen my website) I make mostly earrings. Have been toying around making some necklaces with the koi fish I make and bigger beads. Been making some beaded suncatchers. I LOVE bling and shiney things.  @O@ I used to do crafts, whatever caught my eye, but don't find time for them anymore. I did see the cutest thing yesterday. A purse made from a Santa hat. I would like to give it a try, but I'm not much of a sewer.

Pondlady those ladybugs are SOOOO CUTE!!!! You do a nice job on them.  O0

Offline pondlady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
 ::)Thank you very much. My next quest is to recycle some old globe light covers. As well as a gazing ball that lost it color. Stay tuned.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »
I do some basic sewing (Halloween costumes, Christmas stockings, de orative pillow cases). I have also made a couple mosaic projects with the biggest being a mailbox. We enjoy cooking, photography, board games (ticket to ride, puerto Rico, carcassone, race for the galaxy, settlers of catan, etc.), and lots of movies. I occasionally decorate cakes and do flowers for weddings. With the hundreds (err thousands) of photos I take each year, I make a nice bound annual photobook using mypublisher.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:50:28 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"